1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civs that won't go away in your games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by njmfff, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Who shows up depends on who I'm playing and on what kind of map: on a 'pangeae' map I am guaranteed to see Russia and Mongolia every time, for instance.
    On absolute consistency with BNW: I've started four games as Portugal, and every time Monty was my nearest neighbor. Makes for an absolutely predictable first 100 turns!

2. TheWaffleTaco

TheWaffleTaco Chieftain

William has been in my last 10 games o.o
    Just go away!!!I dont even like men in tights.

3. Mercurio

Mercurio Chieftain

Monty seems to be always present... and always near me.

4. Petiscator

Petiscator King

I haven't played much BNW, but the Shoshones appeared in almost all my games, Poland too. Also, I haven't found Japan, the Incas, Denmark, Greece, China or Mongolia yet. Other civs that show up frequently: Arabia, Siam, Portugal, Netherlands, the Celts, Polynesia and England.

5. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Mali, very rare. Have yet to see Venice in game. Never seen Korea since BNW has come out.

6. Monado

Monado King

This came instantly to mind:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmbZnXSQ7k

The Usual Suspects:
    America, always America
    Polynesia
    Greece

Unusual:
    Celts
    Denmark
    Egypt
    Morocco

Haven't seen them since Civ 4!

7. Jensonian

Jensonian Chieftain

Germany. Bismark acts all high and proud but gets the poop kicked out of him, begs me for lux resources

China. For the first time last game they weren't my biggest threat (probably had to do with spawning on the other side of the map), but with their minimum 5 cities and huge armies Wu Zetian is not a welcome sight

8. Jensonian

Jensonian Chieftain

Forgot about Korea, they're very common. For a science focused civ they have NEVER been in the lead

9. kingofsealand

kingofsealand Warlord

Interesting that so many are saying they never encounter spain or the Iroquois. Pre-BNW at least half of all games I played featured spain and she tended to start out modestly and then conquer a neighbor or two to become a contending power. Unlike so many complaining about them, I NEVER have a problem with the Iroquois. If I dont intentionally stunt them by stealing their workers and such like i did last game then they will donate all their civilian units to the barbarians DESPITE HAVING AN ANCIENT UU. I find these drastic differences between players interesting. Maybe I will see less of those two leaders as I play more BNW matches

10. ahawk

ahawk King

I play Standard-sized maps, so, 7 other civs than me. And often:

1) Byzantium is present
    2) England is not present (I see England quite rarely)
    3) Celts are present
    4) The Huns are present
    5) Denmark is present
    6) Polynesia is present
    7) Zulu are present

I mean, seriously: I've had at least three of these conditions true for every game of BNW thus far. With 43 civs in the game, it seems that I hardly ever see England, yet manage to have both Zulu and the Huns in over two-thirds of them. And come to think of it, I hardly ever see China, either.

11. deity12

deity12 Chieftain

Yup Spain every single freaking time.
    Denmark pretty common also.
    Hoping to see Shaka soon, although I hate warmongering runaways, at least he won't backstab me :lol:.

12. Addetetet

Addetetet Chieftain

Agree on this, just tried to go for immortal Culture win after managing diplo and science.. But god damn Venice managed to out Tech, out Culture and of course he had every single city state in his pocket.. 40k+ gold and a massive armada.. He was slightly ahead of me on Culture victory when he managed his diplo win, but i Think i would´ve won it anyways cuz i had internet and was 2 turns or so from getting great firewall. Venice just seems way to good at getting diplowin, 400+ influence on nearly all city states

13. neev

neev Waiting for Civ VI

Sorry if this was discussed already but how does the game pick opponent civs ? Is there a set of rules such as "at least 2 warmongers, 2 zealots, 2 science-focused civs, 2 wonder-focused civs etc ?" Or is it entirely random ?

14. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Mostly because he likes to settle near everyone, then gets wiped out quickly. :lol:

Oh I see England in lot of my games, but not that much as some other guys like Zulu and The Aztecs. Can't really complain there, because I find Elizabeth to be one of the most annoying AIs... oh and she likes to chat waaay too much.

"We are pleased to meet you". No you're not. You're a backstabber.

It's like every turn, she pops up and taunt me. I especially love when she tells me that "she's surprised that my empire didn't fall to barbarian invasion" even if I had 800 more culture per turn then her and my empire is culturally 100+% dominant over England. :rolleyes:

15. livsbrand

livsbrand Warlord

Gajah Mada never goes away. Shows up every time. Almost feel guilty for playing Pangaea.

16. andrew00100

andrew00100 Chieftain

Yet Indonesia's AI tends to do with regardless map settings.

17. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

The black guy with the burning city behind him. Shaka? I can`t remember. The burning city always annoys me, but I always get him every time! Sometimes I play him just to avoid him appearing to me in game!

I mean, is he sacking a city EVERY time I talk to him? In peacetime? If the burning city would just change to a normal landscape sometimes it wouldn`t bother me so much.

18. gashad

gashad Chieftain

For me its greece and rome that seem to be the most common.

19. synulia

synulia Chieftain

The Dutch, and every goddamn time William will betray me at the end of the game where it's certain I'm about to win.

20. Liex

Liex King

Polynesia. It's always a matter of time until Kamehameha disembarks in the nearest beach...

Ethiopia and Venice are quite common as well.