Civs that won't go away in your games

Who shows up depends on who I'm playing and on what kind of map: on a 'pangeae' map I am guaranteed to see Russia and Mongolia every time, for instance.
On absolute consistency with BNW: I've started four games as Portugal, and every time Monty was my nearest neighbor. Makes for an absolutely predictable first 100 turns!

I haven't played much BNW, but the Shoshones appeared in almost all my games, Poland too. Also, I haven't found Japan, the Incas, Denmark, Greece, China or Mongolia yet. Other civs that show up frequently: Arabia, Siam, Portugal, Netherlands, the Celts, Polynesia and England.

Mali, very rare. Have yet to see Venice in game. Never seen Korea since BNW has come out.

Germany. Bismark acts all high and proud but gets the poop kicked out of him, begs me for lux resources

China. For the first time last game they weren't my biggest threat (probably had to do with spawning on the other side of the map), but with their minimum 5 cities and huge armies Wu Zetian is not a welcome sight

Interesting that so many are saying they never encounter spain or the Iroquois. Pre-BNW at least half of all games I played featured spain and she tended to start out modestly and then conquer a neighbor or two to become a contending power. Unlike so many complaining about them, I NEVER have a problem with the Iroquois. If I dont intentionally stunt them by stealing their workers and such like i did last game then they will donate all their civilian units to the barbarians DESPITE HAVING AN ANCIENT UU. I find these drastic differences between players interesting. Maybe I will see less of those two leaders as I play more BNW matches

I play Standard-sized maps, so, 7 other civs than me. And often:

1) Byzantium is present
2) England is not present (I see England quite rarely)
3) Celts are present
4) The Huns are present
5) Denmark is present
6) Polynesia is present
7) Zulu are present

I mean, seriously: I've had at least three of these conditions true for every game of BNW thus far. With 43 civs in the game, it seems that I hardly ever see England, yet manage to have both Zulu and the Huns in over two-thirds of them. And come to think of it, I hardly ever see China, either.

Yup Spain every single freaking time.
Denmark pretty common also.
Hoping to see Shaka soon, although I hate warmongering runaways, at least he won't backstab me :lol:.

Every time Venice shows up is one time too many.

Others that seem common but who I don't really detest are Attila, Dido, Maria Theresa and William. They're all good for the competition.

Agree on this, just tried to go for immortal Culture win after managing diplo and science.. But god damn Venice managed to out Tech, out Culture and of course he had every single city state in his pocket.. 40k+ gold and a massive armada.. He was slightly ahead of me on Culture victory when he managed his diplo win, but i Think i would´ve won it anyways cuz i had internet and was 2 turns or so from getting great firewall. Venice just seems way to good at getting diplowin, 400+ influence on nearly all city states

Sorry if this was discussed already but how does the game pick opponent civs ? Is there a set of rules such as "at least 2 warmongers, 2 zealots, 2 science-focused civs, 2 wonder-focused civs etc ?" Or is it entirely random ?

Forgot about Korea, they're very common. For a science focused civ they have NEVER been in the lead

Mostly because he likes to settle near everyone, then gets wiped out quickly. :lol:

2) England is not present (I see England quite rarely)
With 43 civs in the game, it seems that I hardly ever see England, yet manage to have both Zulu and the Huns in over two-thirds of them. And come to think of it, I hardly ever see China, either.

Oh I see England in lot of my games, but not that much as some other guys like Zulu and The Aztecs. Can't really complain there, because I find Elizabeth to be one of the most annoying AIs... oh and she likes to chat waaay too much.

"We are pleased to meet you". No you're not. You're a backstabber.

It's like every turn, she pops up and taunt me. I especially love when she tells me that "she's surprised that my empire didn't fall to barbarian invasion" even if I had 800 more culture per turn then her and my empire is culturally 100+% dominant over England. :rolleyes:

The black guy with the burning city behind him. Shaka? I can`t remember. The burning city always annoys me, but I always get him every time! Sometimes I play him just to avoid him appearing to me in game!

I mean, is he sacking a city EVERY time I talk to him? In peacetime? If the burning city would just change to a normal landscape sometimes it wouldn`t bother me so much.

The Dutch, and every goddamn time William will betray me at the end of the game where it's certain I'm about to win.

Polynesia. It's always a matter of time until Kamehameha disembarks in the nearest beach...

Ethiopia and Venice are quite common as well.

Top Bottom