1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civs that won't go away in your games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by njmfff, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Princeofnigeria

Princeofnigeria The illustrious

Always:
    Greece- I hate them.
    Iroqouis- RAGE!!!! SHOW ME YOUR RAGE!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO FEEL YOUR RAGE!!! (They displease me)
    Sweden- strong dislike of them.
    Aztecs- I like monty, He's fun!
    Spain- dislike
    Siam- very strong dislike, bordering hatred.
    Never
    Japan- no opinion
    Maya- never met them. Ever. They've never been in my games
    India- mixed emotions
    Denmark- I like them
    Huns- no opinion
    Byzantines- hate due to incompotence

2. ubergeneral

ubergeneral Warlord

i always seem to get Ethiopia, Sweeden, or the Maya. Really tired of seeing them too. I haven't seen gussy since GnK which is good. Maya still chronic. At least they are peaceful

I never see Nebby, Siam, Inca or India.

3. SolDelta

SolDelta Chieftain

I've had a long stretch of games where Alex always seems to spawn next to me as I've been learning to play wide, which always makes me stop playing wide and prepare for his sudden but inevitable betrayal. Ethiopia also shows up a bunch, which has taught me a hell of a lot about fighting religious cold wars. Carthage and China show up a fair bit too but they're usually very friendly.

4. fremat02

fremat02 Chieftain

Those that pops out almost in every game

Spain, like every freaking times (which I like since I usually wipe them off the face of earth)

Polynesia and they often run away controlling a huge amount of cities

Alex... f[censored]k Alex... I will not say anything about this dirty pain in the ass...

Atila... And he is soooooooo bad -.-

Iroquois before BNW never again since

The one I barely never see:

Japan, I saw them maybe 3 times since vanilla

Zulu (I had to add them manually to know what it felt like... Did not do it twice)

Assiryan (only twice, each time they went for one city start... I took it before turn 100)

Celts (completely forgot that they do exist since BNW)

Denmark (but I did not buy them :p )

Korea (only one time this week end)

5. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Well, looking at all the answers I think it is safe to assume that opponent civs are picked completely at random. I find it hard to believe that each player has his own personal secret preferences for opponent civs.

6. andrew00100

andrew00100 Chieftain

When the Celts are in your game, you know by T10

7. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Carthage no for me, but China yeah, I've noticed she's either neutral or friendly with me. I don't recall she ever being hostile toward me in BNW games. And I've noticed they don't wage wars often like they use to do in GnKs. They often go for tech\culture victory and usually get really advanced as the game progress. Every single time. :eek:

Sometimes even earlier. Turn 2 "X civ found pantheon" ... Yeah, it's probably Celts (90% of the time). Turn 5 her scout apears. Turn 20 she dropped a city right next to me. Turn 30 she's cranky. Turn 50 DOW. :lol: Every single time.

8. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Warlord

In BNW, I seem to get a lot of Indonsia, I think they were in almost 3/4 of my games so far. Not as many, but also seen a lot of appearances by Greece, Denmark and Polynesia, maybe 1/2
    With G&K I think Iroquais must have appeared in 2/3 of my games, but now they seem fairly scarce

On the flip side, I've NEVER seen Portugal get drawn at random, and I've only ever seen the Chinese and the Ottomans once each.

9. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Warlord

How is it even possible for them to get a Pantheon at turn 2? Do they start with Pictish Warriors or something?

10. Zigzagzigal

Zigzagzigal Chieftain

America. Keep getting America. Good thing Washington normally ends up a noob, but I'd really like to see more BNW civs in my game rather than having to force it.

11. 3drawegroeg

3drawegroeg Chieftain

It's funny that everyone else hates Greece too! I'm at the point where I refuse to ever let him have an embassy.

12. tat501

tat501 Warlord

I always get the Incas. Pedro comes up a lot as well. As does Suleiman recently.
    And yeh I never seem to see Gandhi anymore!

13. Addetetet

Addetetet Chieftain

Portugal, Maria is in everywhere...

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Carthage. Always. If I'm not playing her, she's within two start locations of me. It's a bit of a mixed bag, on one hand it's great because Dido is a babe, and watching her yell at me warms my heart.

Sucks because quinqueremes and elephants ruin everything all the time.

I almost wonder if the game prioritizes civs you play a lot for random AIs

15. troublmaker

troublmaker Warlord

For whatever reason whenever I play continents or archepelegos I ALWAYS get Korea and England.

16. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

She just have one of her periods, don't worry, it will go away :)

17. Mrdarklight

Mrdarklight Warlord

I don't think it is random, I think it is based on which civ you are playing. I noticed that I tend to get the same civ opponents if I play the same civ. I think part of it is to make sure you have at least one civ in the game that will compete at your game - if you play a science civ, you will always have another science civ (like Babylon or Korea), and probably two.

18. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Or it could be just weighed against your start bias, for example if you're playing a desert start biased civ, you'll have fewer desert opponents, and more likely to have opposing biased ones.

Or it could be both, or those two factors and others.

19. leadtothehead

leadtothehead Chieftain

Ditto for me, Polynesia is almost always my neighbor and normally launch a invasion fairly early in the game.

20. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

If you don't mind using mods, there's one called really advanced start you can use to disable civs from the random pool