[GS] Climate Change Quirks

Tyroq

Warlord
So in my most recent game (emperor-Mali), I discovered something interesting and quirky about dealing with flooded tiles. It seems that, if you swap a flooded tile to the control of a city that already has flood barriers up, the flooded tile will instantly gain a flood barrier and become unflooded. I guess this makes sense, seeing as you've already built the barrier in that city, so it automatically extends to cover new tiles. But it also seems kinda weird that you can just unflood tiles instantly like that. Attached screenshots to show it:

Before:
Civ 6 - Mali (7).jpg

After:
Civ 6 - Mali (8).jpg

Anyway, it's not game-breaking or anything, and I'm sure some of you already know about this. But for everyone who doesn't, this could be a useful way to deal with flooding if a particular city isn't up to the challenge of getting those barriers up.

I'd love to hear about other quirks regarding climate change that any of you have noticed, especially since the patches that changed how it works.

Very interesting. Does the flood barrier cost scale with tiles protected? If so, you might want to swap the tiles to other cities, build barrier cheaply and then return tiles, shenanigans...

And what happens if it is swapped back? Cant check myself now.

I just tested this, and nothing happens! That's right, the flood barrier is removed (of course) but the tile does not re-flood. I even advanced a turn to see if it would update the tile on a new turn, and nope. It stays unflooded. Screenshot below:
And if you look in the lower left-hand corner you can see another tile that is flooded outside my borders for comparison

20191231101205_1.jpg

Very interesting. Does the flood barrier cost scale with tiles protected? If so, you might want to swap the tiles to other cities, build barrier cheaply and then return tiles, shenanigans...
Afaik. it does, more tiles to cover means higher cost.

I just tested this, and nothing happens! That's right, the flood barrier is removed (of course) but the tile does not re-flood. I even advanced a turn to see if it would update the tile on a new turn, and nope. It stays unflooded.

Interesting, but very cheasy to use :) Thanks for checking it out and reporting back.

Is there a way to lock the production cost? Say for example I found a new city and it only has one lowland tile, can I put a turn of production into it to lock its price? Similar how to you can plop down a district to avoid district scaling production costs.

Is there a way to lock the production cost? Say for example I found a new city and it only has one lowland tile, can I put a turn of production into it to lock its price? Similar how to you can plop down a district to avoid district scaling production costs.
No, the price just rises, cannot be locked, a trader is another example of this.
District price setting happens the moment you place the district, you do not even have to put a turns production into it.

Flood barrier cost not only scales with the number of lowland tiles and flood level, but it recalculates if those change. So you can’t cheat it without the OP’s method of swapping tiles around.

that said, what people should be doing is just pumping out a horde of military engineers. For 170:c5production: You get 2 charges of 20% of a flood barrier. This generally is the cheapest way to do it. Or be English with half price, 4 charge builders, making it practically free.

Top Bottom