Coastal Flooding at Mediaval???

bitula

Prince
I am getting permanent coastal floodings in medieval around 100 AC (Deity marathon). Sea rise 1 meter 53 tile flooded already. Is this a bug or a feature??? I mean it is so far away from atomic age Computer tech -> flood barrier. That is not fun and not realistic, many important tiles are now useless. Maybe this is a bug with marathon game speed?

It means an AI somewhere has buildings or units burning fuel / consuming power. Most likely, factories and coal plants.

You can check the bottom of the tech or civics tree to see if any empires you’ve met are much further along than the world era would make it seem. It sucks, but part of marathon is it’s kind of hard to balance every little thing; and you’re playing on deity which gives the AI maximum advantages.

I checked the bottom of the tech tree. No one reached industrial era yet (highest is myself and Lincoln (who contributes most to co2) in renaissance).

Dont check the tech levels, check for whether or not someone releases CO2 (which they did) and how much progress has been made on the climate change stages.

Also if you play with Apocalypse mode on, using soothsayers releases a ton of CO2.

Yes, several release of co2, but not from factories or coal plants as per tech tree. It seems soothsayers then, but so much that to flood coasts??? This Apocalypse mode seems to be a pure nonsense, I guess I'll need to disable it. Or what else can release co2 in the early game?

It could be then a bug (balance issue) with the soothsayer sacrificial competitions. There are too frequent on marathon, because they probably don't scale with game speed.

Last edited:
I came to that same conclusion myself... apocalypse mode is kinda slow even more with the asteroids. Major cities can disappear in a turn.

Yes, several release of co2, but not from factories or coal plants as per tech tree. It seems soothsayers then, but so much that to flood coasts??? This Apocalypse mode seems to be a pure nonsense, I guess I'll need to disable it. Or what else can release co2 in the early game?

It could be then a bug (balance issue) with the soothsayer sacrificial competitions. There are too frequent on marathon, because they probably don't scale with game speed.
Yes soothsayers release a lot now. It was introduced to nerf an abuse involving forest fires and the Greath Bath wonder, but it also had the effect of making climate change happen way too early in the game.
I dont play with this mode on for just that reason.

Could be a simple fix though, just divide frequency of "appease the gods" probability by game speed factor (4 for marathon). This way flood would still start earlier, but if in modern or end of industrial that is sort of acceptable for this mode. I'll make a bug report.

Could be a simple fix though, just divide frequency of "appease the gods" probability by game speed factor (4 for marathon). This way flood would still start earlier, but if in modern or end of industrial that is sort of acceptable for this mode. I'll make a bug report.
It's not really a bug imo, but an overlooked mechanic. I'm pretty sure there's several mods that reduce soothsayers' CO2 output, but apocalypse isn't very balanced anyways. For me, it's one of those modes you play a couple times, then throw to the side.

Also Apocalypse Mod forces the the game to bypass the first stage of global warming (so it starts at level 1 already). However, that stage doesn't and shouldn't flood unless you are playing with mods.

Top Bottom