CNO Discussion: Renaming Captured Cities

I remember once when Falcon02 name a city close to the Egyptians in DG1. It was captured/razed almost immediately, therefore he was allowed to named the next city settled, which happened to be on the other side of the country. We might want to think about keeping this tradition, especially if we wind up losing a newly captured city.

Rename immediately with the next name available in the CR, and if we somehow lose a city to the point where it is razed and cannot be re-captured, we should re-use the name of that city (or that person's second name).

Rename the cities as long as they aren't major cities (wonder cities) or capitals. I'd like to keep conquered civs capitals intact as a prize and tribute to our greatness :D

The idea of "Japanatizing" the captured cities would be to make the assigned names sound Japanese. For example:

Rome->Roma, Rom, Romakyou
Veii->Vaya
Antium->Antiome
Neapolis->Nyapolus
Pompeii->Pompi

Or something like that. It would be unrelated to the Japanatizing of the citizen's names.

My main reason for not wanting them renamed is that it simply makes things harder to keep track of. If we spend weeks plotting to capture Pompeii, things get sort of confusing when suddenly its Minas Alcar. It causes the cities to lose their sense of history. Besides, even if they are captured by Japan it would be far more likely just to translate the name into Japanese than to assign it a whole new name. This leaves our mark, but at the same time keeps realism and history.

Can an AI rename cities? "Oh, hey! I don't like Immo, let's rename it Tokyo!" Can an AI do it, no.

I feel that if we capture a city militarily, its name should stand until enough time has gone by that at least 50% of the "citizens" are Japatanican. At that point, we can change it.

Now, if we raze and rebuild, it should count as a new city, new name and all.

Also, if a city culturally converts, I feel it should have an instant name change to denote full brotherhood (as opposed to military occupation).

This would actually give me something to do, so I would be willing to do this.

Why do we have to Japanitize everything? It is nice once in a while to have Japanese culture but Japanitizing everything would just muddle things up, mainly because some people here don't speak Japanese.

Actually, thats the third next city on the list, so I suggest you get used to the name.

You don't have to speek Japanese, the point is that they sound Japanese. I'm not going to figure out what Neapolis means in Latin so I can translate that back into Japanese. I mean getting rid of un-Japanese sounding bits.

Epimethius said:
Actually, thats the third next city on the list, so I suggest you get used to the name.

You don't have to speek Japanese, the point is that they sound Japanese. I'm not going to figure out what Neapolis means in Latin so I can translate that back into Japanese. I mean getting rid of un-Japanese sounding bits.
which i am against, that way few people in the citizen registry will have their city names on the game
why not just use the names in the registry?!? i really dont care about japanatizing city names. just let them be

I say we should either keep the old names or Japanatize them. If you totally destroy the original name of a city, you're throwing away its historical heritage. And its highly improbable we'll get through any considerable amount of the citizen-chosen city names anyway.

Just japanatise them when they have more than half japanese citizens or something like that.

Sticky said:
I say we should either keep the old names or Japanatize them. If you totally destroy the original name of a city, you're throwing away its historical heritage. And its highly improbable we'll get through any considerable amount of the citizen-chosen city names anyway.

We could. Japanitizing city names IS destroying their historical heritage. That's why I say keep important city names (wonder cities) and capitals, while renaming the rest to the names from the list.

Japanatizing them destroys heritage about as much as calling Roma "Rome." Its a spelling change. It keeps the heritage and doesn't make things hideously confusing.

After going round and round, it seems we have 4 options here:

1. Rename all captured cities per the Citizen Registry
2. Japanicize existing names of captured cities.
3. Keep all existing names of captured cities
4. Rename all captured cities(except capitals and Wonder cities) per the Citizen Registry

I believe that option 4 proposes the best compromise, and still allows us to show respect for our conquered foes. Is there anything to add to this conversation? Or can we start moving forward on this matter?

Top Bottom