Coast Defense Bonus

EmperorFool

Deity
I see that VEM/UP adds a +50% defense bonus to coastal tiles. IIRC there was no bonus in Vanilla. It looks thought that atolls have no bonus which seems strange. Is this a display issue in the hover or is there a reason?

I say strange because you can have a multi-tile coastal area that doesn't border on any land tiles which essentially means it's just shallow water. That doesn't seem like it should provide any bonus. And then you have a cluster of tiny islands that seems like it should provide good cover for ships. But then again I have no experience being a pirate and may be off base here. :)

My suggestion is to have coastal tiles provide +25% defense since they are so common and atolls +50%. Or maybe +50% and +100% if you want to make it easier to bombard one-tile islands.

I think this was just to balance land ranged vs naval warfare, along with all the specific promotions like -25% vs Naval Units, Naval Demolish, etc.

I haven't noticed any balance issues so far, with the exception that humans with can absolutely demolish cities (and then conquer them) with any decently sized navy. I'm not really sure how that can be easily patched though.

Top Bottom