Coastal cliffs vs beach - your thoughts?

I'm already imagining the effects implementable cliff tiles will have on an Earth map...the British isles and the Iberian peninsula are going to be hard to take by sea!

Would also be cool to see a special forces type unit in the late game that could land on cliff tiles and still move afterwards.

What about the river deltas? Possible entrypoint for ships? I would love that, but I doubt it...

There are a few river deltas on the screenshots, they don't seem special at all. But we could hope for a Nile Delta natural wonder. :)

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if the new movement changes also effect embarking and disembarking movement? Like in the past a warrior could be on grass1, move to grass2, then go into the coast3 with its remaining movement.

But is it changed so the warrior has have a full 2 movement points to embark? So that means its have to wait one turn on grass2, before moving into the water.

Or vice versa for water into land.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I will reserve judgement on whether embark is possible or not w.r.t cliffs, but I strongly suspect building harbours or any water installations on water tiles adjacent to cliffs is IMPOSSIBLE

So it's no longer enough to find a coast if you're landlocked, but a coast with a harbour/beach

In one of the articles on Civ VI that are posted in the article thread (can't remember which one, as I read like 6 of them and then closed my browser) it was stated that the cliff tiles are indeed unreachable from the sea. As to whether your own units can descend from them into the ocean, I'd imagine the answer to be 'no', but ofc we can't yet know for sure.

EDIT: This might mean that an island could spawn that is unreachable from the outside world until Flight or Marines become available. :eek: I'd imagine that the map scripts have been carefully tweaked to avoid such a possibility, but you never know.

I'm willing to wager that you cannot embark / disembark on coastal cliffs but you can on beaches. What do you think?
That would be my guess as well. Cliffs also add +1 Appeal to adjacent tiles (in addition to +1 for Coast), which may affect tourism and perhaps even citizen happiness.

Hills on coast (by the looks of it) will create cliffs
Not always. It does seem that all of the Cliffs are adjacent to Hills, but there are some Hills on the coast which don't have Cliffs.

What about the river deltas? Possible entrypoint for ships? I would love that, but I doubt it...

Since Civ III+ rivers are between tiles, there's not really anywhere to put a ship. There's also very few rivers on Earth that sea-going vessels can fit very far up into anyway.

(Speaking of landmasses, I *really* hope they finally add late-game canals for connecting bodies of water.)

As well as the possibility of building a one-tile bridge over water. There are many bridges in the world now that are dozens of miles long, and connect land masses that previously required ferries. This would make late game transport very cool by connecting road systems on either side

A tunnel would be more realistic, but a bridge would indeed be a lot easier to represent on the map.

I'm thinking that you might not be able to put harbors on cliff coasts either.

And another thing, do you think there might be possible for a 1 tile island occasionally that is totally surrounded by cliffs and unable to ever be accessed?
Perhaps you could paradrop/helicopter onto it (or 'special forces/Marines')

regarding rivers.....
hopefully rivers can act as a trade route access like roads

As for Bridges/Tunnels, they should probably be on the same scale as Canals...Very expensive (wonder level) buildings only available in the later Industrial era (ie 1800-1900), only possibly having one link long (canals can't connect to other canals/cities)..but Bridges/Tunnels should be even later on the tech tree. (say later Atomic Era ie 1970 or so)

It seems that hills with only one side of the hexagon connecting to the sea will not have cliffs...

The takeaway is that you need to specifically site a city near a workable beach for a harbour. Not unrealistic. Up to this point in civ any landlocked empire only need to find a coast . This tends to reinforce seafaring vs. Landlocked specializations in 6 if it's that much harder to find a workable harbour.

Top Bottom