Collated list of remaining issues

True even on Marathon which I always choose. Together with Deity, I seldom reach even world atomic era before the game is over
I imagine that marathon makes it worse though. For Dom, RV and DipV it would - once units are constructed, Dom is no slower to win (and probably faster) in terms of turns, RV is more affected but units still move faster (effectivrly) and DipV gets more disasters per era and so you can get DVPs earlier (in terms of eras). SV is going to be pretty much the same since you have to be in the Information/Future Era to win it anyway (but since you're finishing in the Atomic, I don't think you're getting an SV anyway), however, I'm unsure about CV, I know how to win it but I'm not confident of the formula to see how it would be affected by game speed.

I believe that you playing marathon is making the game

The overall game is too fast due to the massive power-creep which has happened over the past few years. It really needs to be slowed down (and eras balanced).
I agree that later on it does, but please leave the early game alone! It's already pretty slow. Once the initial cities are set up the game could do with slowing down, but that first bit is a clickfest of just waiting for things to happen.

Reactions: PiR
I agree that later on it does, but please leave the early game alone! It's already pretty slow. Once the initial cities are set up the game could do with slowing down, but that first bit is a clickfest of just waiting for things to happen.

That is not what we mean...

The game progresses through the tech and civics trees too fast, and ends too quickly.

I imagine that marathon makes it worse though. For Dom, RV and DipV it would - once units are constructed, Dom is no slower to win (and probably faster) in terms of turns, RV is more affected but units still move faster (effectivrly) and DipV gets more disasters per era and so you can get DVPs earlier (in terms of eras). SV is going to be pretty much the same since you have to be in the Information/Future Era to win it anyway (but since you're finishing in the Atomic, I don't think you're getting an SV anyway), however, I'm unsure about CV, I know how to win it but I'm not confident of the formula to see how it would be affected by game speed.

I believe that you playing marathon is making the game

Well, I think it depends.

DipV on Marathon / huge maps certainly provides many emergency aids and with the bug introduced with the April patch where I see no contribution by the AI, they are all easy to win with 1 gold (or a little more to compensate for your carbon footprint later in the game). That's +2 diplo points every time.

RV I agree you get an advantage at later game (but you have to compensate the early game when the AI goes wild in converting cities). I had a game playing Arabia with just my holy city remaining in my founded religion by Classical era. I had to grind back up again later on but that was over early atomic era.

DomV I have yet to win, making an attempt now as Spain. Since you get (relatively) more movement per era, I can imagine to win earlier too. We'll see...

CV I won by modern era (but that MC mod bug made things so much faster).

SV was my previous game as Portugal: it was over early atomic era too.

When I talk about eras, I mean the world eras: obviously I am usually well ahead of the world era once close to victory.

EDIT: my settings are always the same: marathon / deity / huge map / continents - all the rest on defaults (so 12 civs picked at random). I may vary modes though, usually pick SS BC HL but I dropped MC in my current game (the AI not improving resources is a huge bug disadvantaging the AI far too much)

Last edited:
I usually play on quick, although sometimes standard if it's a game I intend to do a lot of early war in. Occaisonally online. Rarely marathon or epic.

Barbs are a lot harder the slower your game speed setting is. Also troops leveed from a CS last a lot longer.

Here's something I still see as a remaining, albeit very minor, issue.

I'm Portugal. I can't trade on land. Stop asking me to trade on land! (caveat: I think I could if Granada expanded to the sea and made a Harbor, but still, I can't now)

Here's something I still see as a remaining, albeit very minor, issue.

I'm Portugal. I can't trade on land. Stop asking me to trade on land! (caveat: I think I could if Granada expanded to the sea and made a Harbor, but still, I can't now)
I can imagine Wilhemina would be another similar issue. DoWing you for not being able to trade with her? The racist.

Great post. Please add also:
- AI taking part in emergency aid no longer building aid projects nor giving gold, allowing the player to gain 2 diplo points with 1 gold (or: do not grant 2 DP for the emergency aids)

I just finished a game and every time there was an emergency aid competition, the AI would join and give no gold.

the AI is still not deploying aircraft IIRC. I mean it build them, attack with them, but does not use the "deploy" action and does not use them defensively.

I know I complained about this in other threads, but Firaxis needs to make an adjustment to luxury and strategic resources.

There is nothing more annoying, then having an inconveniently placed luxury or strategic resource that blocks you from placing a district in the desired spot. Either you give players the option to harvest said resources or you give players the option to simply build over them. You can found new cities on top of resources, so why not districts? I hate having to re-roll maps, simply because my starting location contains luxury or strategic resources that would all but block my districts from being placed.

I assume we will get one more patch. It would be nice if Firaxis would confirm that, but they just don't work that way. Hopefully soon.

I know I complained about this in other threads, but Firaxis needs to make an adjustment to luxury and strategic resources.

There is nothing more annoying, then having an inconveniently placed luxury or strategic resource that blocks you from placing a district in the desired spot. Either you give players the option to harvest said resources or you give players the option to simply build over them. You can found new cities on top of resources, so why not districts? I hate having to re-roll maps, simply because my starting location contains luxury or strategic resources that would all but block my districts from being placed.

If they haven't changed this in like 4 years, it's not gonna happen. But yeah, they should change that. I use mods to allow you to harvest strategics and luxuries.

• Game Mode, Secret Societies. There needs to be more downside to the Secret Societies.

I am new to playing with Secret Societies, but I can already understand why some would say that there should be downsides to going further into them. Nere's Rebalanced Secret Society mod did add a malice system to them. I don't fully agree with all of the changes, but it seems to be in the right direction. Am I the only one that thinks that Owls of Minerva is too good (base game, not this mod)? I know I am a sucker for getting more policy card slots so that might be why, but I am surprised to see no Secret Societies mod out there that gave at least 1 new card slot to each society (like 1 military slot for Sanguine Pact, change the economic slot for Owls of Minerva to a diplomacy slot, give the economic slot to Voidsingers, and give the wildcard slot to Hermetic Order).

One of the big changes with Nere's mod was the rework of Voidsingers because apparently the AI sucks with cultists? I am all for changing anything of the game (this Voidsinger change in particular) as I like to keep the AI in mind. If there is a mod that changes the game in a way that completely leaves the AI out of it (due to the lack of code to tell the AI what to do) then I tend to avoid it. IMO mods that only provide a system/benefit that only human players can comprehend and work with is a bit cheating. For instance, I see that the Removable Districts mod is very popular for the community. I have debated getting this mod since there have been times I realized I could have placed my districts in a better position. However, I am assuming that this is something the AI has no idea what to do with and therefor only human players would benefit from it. Same with the Gift It To Me mod. I love the idea of helping out an AI to stomp an enemy AI for me by just feeding them more units, but if the AI doesn't know how to gift units to someone else then I might avoid this mod too.

Brought to you by the Departments of Zero Playtesting and Not Giving A Crap

I simply disagree. It's part of the rules of the game, we know it and just have to work with it. Just because it doesn't always accommodate doesn't mean it's wrong. I never reroll a map just because I don't get all I want.

Brought to you by the Departments of Zero Playtesting and Not Giving A Crap

Uh, no. It is obviously the intended behaviour.

Now they could change it to let you build on them, but they will never allow them to be harvestable outside of Anansi.

I simply disagree. It's part of the rules of the game, we know it and just have to work with it. Just because it doesn't always accommodate doesn't mean it's wrong. I never reroll a map just because I don't get all I want.
I don't reroll either just for that (and definitely wouldn't on Marathon), but not being able to (re)move horses long after they're useful can be pretty frustrating.

Uh, no. It is obviously the intended behaviour.

Now they could change it to let you build on them, but they will never allow them to be harvestable outside of Anansi.

it being the intended behavior is arguably worse given what a terrible mechanic it is both gameplay wise AND immersion wise.

Like what, these are super horses that can destroy bulldozers? Is Civ6 set on Pandora?

But you know I can mow down cows with wooden shovels no problem

[...]
]a terrible mechanic [...] gameplay [...] wise
[...]

I dont think its a strictly bad mechanic gameplay wise. What is bad about making a decision if you want to discover a new resource for new units or trade deals or if you want to place a district first?

Also if you dont like the mechanic there is are mods to change it.

Top Bottom