1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonization or FreeCol?

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by ZippyRiver, Jun 22, 2008.

1. ZippyRiver

ZippyRiver Prince

I have the original but I am thinking about DLing freecol to check it out. For those that have played both, what are the pros and cons of each?

2. sir_schwick

sir_schwick Archbishop of Towels

Overall I prefer Original for the following reasons:

1) Runs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster.
    2) The classic graphics just look better, IMHO.
    3) Much better help files for original.

A couple reasons to consider FreCol:

1) FreCol will usually allow you to see what an native village wants to trade for once you visit them.
    2) You can tell professions on the dock by clicking.

3. renohol

renohol Warlord

I prefer freecol because you can abandon a colony no matter what and you can also chose to win the game by destroying all the other European colonies.

4. ozangumus

ozangumus Chieftain

I prefer original one - Colonization. Maybe thats why I used to play it for long years.

Also did anyone tried Invasion? You can download from my signature. I am sure some of you will prefer it after trying some:)

5. jediliz

jediliz Chieftain

I downloaded freecol, and I did one little thing (I must have walked into the Dutch's territory) and they told me they wanted WAR. So, I uninstalled it cause that's a bit farfetched.

edit: meant to say that I definitely prefer the original.

6. Bratmon

Bratmon Super Bratmon 3

I got FreeCol back when we had a Linux box. The IBTs were like 35 minutes, even in the first few turns.

Prefer the old col.

7. Misiulo

Misiulo Chieftain

Original Col will always be "The Game", as will Civ 1;

But it's time Firaxis relased the source code, so the game can finally be played smoothly on modern hardware without special tools, as well as without the ancient memory limitations, units disppearing during the game, etc. (Heck, they've made a WINDOWS version of the game, with inferior graphics but with all the 16 bits limitations. Makes tons of sense, doesn't it. I played the original in the 90's and believe me, that was upsetting even then.)

I have faith in Free Col, however, not as "Free Colonization", but as the project,which keeps eveolving towards making our dreams of Col 2 a reality; something that designers of the original Col or it's remake never cared to do.

8. Bratmon

Bratmon Super Bratmon 3

I just lost the game.

But seriously, if companies gave away source code for old software, I'd buy any new thing they sold us.

9. Misiulo

Misiulo Chieftain

Sarcasm or not, that's another reason for them to do so!

Didn't Firaxis announce their intent to relase Source for some classic titles like Civ & Col in the near future?

It may not be a common practice but it's not that uncommon either. It's simply very nice gesture towards faithful fans; when a compamy has long ceased to deveop a program which still enjoys popularity. With games they typically relase the code but keep the multimedia copyrighted, so you still have to own the title to play it legally. Activision has already relased Source code For Civ: Call to Power on those terms.

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

They should release the code for civ3 too :)

11. candle86

candle86 Prince

I would love them to release the original Col Source code because the original is even better than the remake and dont get me started on freecol thanks to its heavy use of Java it runs slower than dirt.

12. Fanatic Noob

Fanatic Noob King of Noobism

Original Colonization have good old school graphics. It is pity, that graphics and text are hard encoded in files and exes (both in PC and Amiga versions), so it is not possible to "mod" it. I once had idea about making modern colonization game based on original, for example modern way of re-colonizing Africa or something like that.