[Col] Colonization or FreeCol?

ZippyRiver

Prince
I have the original but I am thinking about DLing freecol to check it out. For those that have played both, what are the pros and cons of each?

Overall I prefer Original for the following reasons:

1) Runs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster.
2) The classic graphics just look better, IMHO.
3) Much better help files for original.

A couple reasons to consider FreCol:

1) FreCol will usually allow you to see what an native village wants to trade for once you visit them.
2) You can tell professions on the dock by clicking.

I prefer freecol because you can abandon a colony no matter what and you can also chose to win the game by destroying all the other European colonies.

I downloaded freecol, and I did one little thing (I must have walked into the Dutch's territory) and they told me they wanted WAR. So, I uninstalled it cause that's a bit farfetched.

edit: meant to say that I definitely prefer the original.

I got FreeCol back when we had a Linux box. The IBTs were like 35 minutes, even in the first few turns.

Prefer the old col.

Original Col will always be "The Game", as will Civ 1;

But it's time Firaxis relased the source code, so the game can finally be played smoothly on modern hardware without special tools, as well as without the ancient memory limitations, units disppearing during the game, etc. (Heck, they've made a WINDOWS version of the game, with inferior graphics but with all the 16 bits limitations. Makes tons of sense, doesn't it. I played the original in the 90's and believe me, that was upsetting even then.)

I have faith in Free Col, however, not as "Free Colonization", but as the project,which keeps eveolving towards making our dreams of Col 2 a reality; something that designers of the original Col or it's remake never cared to do.

"The Game"

I just lost the game.

But seriously, if companies gave away source code for old software, I'd buy any new thing they sold us.

Sarcasm or not, that's another reason for them to do so!

Didn't Firaxis announce their intent to relase Source for some classic titles like Civ & Col in the near future?

It may not be a common practice but it's not that uncommon either. It's simply very nice gesture towards faithful fans; when a compamy has long ceased to deveop a program which still enjoys popularity. With games they typically relase the code but keep the multimedia copyrighted, so you still have to own the title to play it legally. Activision has already relased Source code For Civ: Call to Power on those terms.

I would love them to release the original Col Source code because the original is even better than the remake and dont get me started on freecol thanks to its heavy use of Java it runs slower than dirt.

Original Colonization have good old school graphics. It is pity, that graphics and text are hard encoded in files and exes (both in PC and Amiga versions), so it is not possible to "mod" it. I once had idea about making modern colonization game based on original, for example modern way of re-colonizing Africa or something like that.

Top Bottom