Combat detection problem

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
I've tracked down a problem that affects the Vanilla Enhanced Mod. Like most other mods, some effects in VEM rely on detecting combat, like as Germans capturing barbarians. The problem is the information about killed units is now wiped clean before passed on to mods. This means mods can no longer detect when units die - a very serious problem. I'm trying to contact the devs about this. Until then, I've reverted the following VEM effects to vanilla:

• German trait
  • Aztec trait
  • Ottoman trait
  • Professional Army policy (vanilla gold depends on unit strength, not cost like vem)

This won't affect the G&K version of the unofficial patch, but will affect the upcoming G&K Enhanced Mod.

I heavily depended on the two combat-related serial events, RunCombatSim and EndCombatSim, to manage a LOT of stuff in my mods. Things like:

Pretty much anything in my mods associated with combat was linked to one of those two Lua events, and I had a LOT of stuff relating to combat.

So far, I've identified three things they've done to these two events that have screwed up my mod in the last patch:
1> If one of the two units involved in the combat dies, the corresponding Unit structure is cleared out BEFORE I have a chance to use it for anything. This is the big one; if only EndCombatSim was broken, I could have transferred most of the functions up to RunCombatSim, but with this, I can't.
Given how many of the above mechanisms involve one of the units dying, you can see the problem there.
2> If the unit involved is one that doesn't have an attack animation (meaning, pretty much every single unit I've added since the game can't handle any animations for units in new combat classes, like Myth or Titan), then EndCombatSim never triggers at all. That breaks about half of the list.
3> When an AI player takes his turn, the RunCombatSim events for all of his combats are now executed before ANY of the corresponding EndCombatSim events occur. This really screws up things like Psi units, where their strength is set in the RunCombatSim and then returned to normal in the EndCombatSim.

To say nothing, of course, of their decision to make Quick Combat a temporary option instead of something you choose at the setup screen (and which, therefore, I could disable.) There may be more, but those are the three I've spotted so far, and they're more than enough. Now note, they broke these in the 674 patch, NOT the expansion. Those of you who haven't bought G&K yet can't avoid these either by playing an old version of my mod or anything.

I'm trying to contact the devs about this.

I've done the same using MP, I hope they'll come back to you with an answer, until then I can't fix my WWII mod :(

no news yet ? (not asking for a quick fix, but wanting to know if they are aware of the problem)

I haven't got a reply. The developers are very friendly and responsive to answering my questions, so I think there's just nothing to say about this but a generic "we're aware of the issue and looking into it."

let's hope it's something like that.

Top Bottom