Combat experience from buildings.

what about combat against barbs after the first level? you still only get 1xp, even with kabul/GG?

yup. just 1 no matter what. (without mods)

That 8 cap for xp.. that is unsporting. Gonna have to change that.

Firetuner is a blast to use.

AI is stoopid.
Barbs are particularly stupid.
Firetuner + Beer = many many giggles over the above.
(like dropping a Panzer6 on an island full of barbs and watching them charge into it to their demise. hee-hee)

Is anybody here willing to take a look at whether or not this training carries over into corps and armies? For example:
-1 Trained Unit forms corps with 1 Untrained
-Trained Unit is level 4, Untrained Unit is level 1 - does it still merge "into" the larger unit?
-Untrained Unit is higher level than trained unit - opposite of the last example
-How does it carry over into armies? Same rule as above?

I really wish this game had some more detailed documentation!! I'm so glad I found this place, it seems like this is where the unofficial documentation gets written.

If anybody has any tools that will help me run tests easier, I would appreciate it.

If anybody has any tools that will help me run tests easier
I run lots of tests, the tool is firetuner, it's free as part of civ 6 if you look in steam and all you have to do is turn on the debug option, download and map to some files and off you go, plenty of help online, otherwise just ask.

WRT your question, ask here before going to the effort.
In this case the higher promotion is kept. Not sure in the case both are even, it's a 5 min test but would need a few runs to verify, currently in a game.

I just tested the 8 XP cap per combat. It is definately per combat not per turn
Here I placed a new knight and it got shot at 6 time (3 XP each) and it got 15 XP in a turn

upload_2018-3-24_18-9-42.png

OK here is an interesting one I had never really tested this well enough
I have a level 5 pikeman will all 4 promotions on one side of the tree merging with a pikeman with 2 levels from the other side... so they have no promotions in common.
upload_2018-3-24_18-29-6.png

I then merge, the result is the targets experience and promotions are taken... I just lost 2 levels and my best unit.
upload_2018-3-24_18-31-1.png

However the testing is not valid as both units had 0 XP
If I give the level 3 unit 10 XP the merge still happens that way but if I give the level 5 unit 10 XP it is kept.
upload_2018-3-24_18-40-58.png

The outcome of this testing is that the higher XP units experience and promotions are taken.
If bothy units have the same XP but different promotions, the bluey purlpe target promotions are taken

OK here is an interesting one I had never really tested this well enough
I have a level 5 pikeman will all 4 promotions on one side of the tree merging with a pikeman with 2 levels from the other side... so they have no promotions in common.
View attachment 491869

I then merge, the result is the targets experience and promotions are taken... I just lost 2 levels and my best unit.
View attachment 491870

However the testing is not valid as both units had 0 XP
If I give the level 3 unit 10 XP the merge still happens that way but if I give the level 5 unit 10 XP it is kept.
View attachment 491872

The outcome of this testing is that the higher XP units experience and promotions are taken.
If bothy units have the same XP but different promotions, the bluey purlpe target promotions are taken

Typically when you merge, the new unit occupies the hex of the bluey purple target unit.

When you merge a corps into a regular unit, however, the corps sucks the regular unit into it, leaving the new unit in the same tile as the corp, regardless of whether or not it was the bluey purple target.

I'd therefore speculate that slightly different rules apply when merging a single unit into a corp, and that possibly the XP and promotions of the corps continue even if the single unit has more?

On the other hand, when you merge two units, the total health of the continuing unit appears to be exactly half of the combined health of the two merging units. There doesn't appear to be a 2:1 weighting for the corps versus the single unit, but I observed this in game and didn't take note of the exact values.

Does the extra training exp carry over when you merge units? Does the corps/army get the boost from barracks, academy, etc?

Does the extra training exp carry over when you merge units? Does the corps/army get the boost from barracks, academy, etc?

The XP the merged units get is the XP of the highest unit.
I merge the level 3 to the level 1.. it should give a corps with the 3 promotions of the 10XP unit and 10 XP
upload_2018-3-25_10-32-7.png

I now merge my higher experience and level unit with my corps
upload_2018-3-25_10-33-54.png

And it takes the promotions and experience of the single unit
upload_2018-3-25_10-34-56.png

The boost from barracks etc is not so easy to test, you cannot spam the units in and you cannot tell if they have promotions without going into combat.
Even in firetuner there is no way to tell XP bonus ... I will test though.
upload_2018-3-25_10-38-18.png

Last edited:
@Pietato The XP test was not too bad

So I merge the 35XP with no XP bonus to the 15XP with 75%
upload_2018-3-25_11-2-27.png

The result is as expected...with a surprise
All the stats with the unit with the higher XP are taken including the 0% bonus - as suspected.
However I noticed when my modern armour walked all over a warrior it only got 4XP, normally a unit would get 4XP for attackling and 1 XP for killing. (I tested 75% gives 7 XP in this case) Will look into this, likely be due auto kill gives no XP or similar.
upload_2018-3-25_11-6-43.png

Summary: Merging units always takes all values of the higher experienced unit. If units are of equal XP, the values of the unit being merged to are used.

always glad to help a fellow kiwi out.

Reactions: liv
XP Kill Test
So testing each unit attacking a 75% damaged unit. All units get 4XP for killing the warrior apart from my warrior and swordsmen who get 5 XP. So its looking like you get +1 XP for killing a unit that is considered 1 era below yours at most... cool.

There is not a decent XP guide out there so pump any questions in and I'll start whipping up a guide I will link to in my signature.
upload_2018-3-25_11-41-14.png

Era kill bonus also affects ranged as expected
upload_2018-3-25_11-51-6.png

Also it does appear the city kill is not capped at 10, this unit has +75%
upload_2018-3-25_11-33-19.png

A unit with no bonuses just gets 10 XP and so I conclude that the %bonus XP is applied to the 10XP for taking a city
upload_2018-3-25_11-39-3.png

Additional: a Fighter counts as melee for XP while a bomber counts for ranged

Units below the age of that attacked get an extra XP
upload_2018-3-25_12-17-24.png

This stacks with +1 for killing
upload_2018-3-25_12-20-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-25_11-33-2.png
    upload_2018-3-25_11-33-2.png
    902.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: liv
Soooo, that would make the generals/admirals that give 100%/200% exp boosts largely irrelevant?
200% have been removed I believe

So modern armour attacking a city gets 3 XP (being attacked by a city is 2 XP)
upload_2018-3-25_12-34-53.png

Modern Armour with 3 x 25% promotion and 100% from a great general (the max now) is +175% but gives 9 XP - ROUNDUP(3 + (3*175%))
upload_2018-3-25_12-32-33.png

And taking a city gives 28 XP - ROUNDUP(10 XP + (10*175%))
upload_2018-3-25_12-33-44.png

However when my +175% tank kills a warrior it is still capped at 8XP
upload_2018-3-25_12-43-33.png

When my 175% tank is attacked by a city it only gets 2 XP but when attacked by machine guns gets 6 XP. It seems buggy a city attacking you would not give the 175% XP bonus.

Last edited:
As always, thanks for the details. I used to love merging an experienced unit build without barracks/the like with a newby straight out of military academy, but apparently that does nothing...

I'm starting to think that Firaxis has some poor coding practices. The XP cap is not implemented uniformly, lots of undocumented behaviour and a boat load of inconsistencies. Not good.

I'm starting to think that Firaxis has some poor coding practices. The XP cap is not implemented uniformly, lots of undocumented behaviour and a boat load of inconsistencies. Not good.
Olleus, a pleasure, you always appreciate it and feeling of value encourages.
So the two inconsistencies to me are
A city shooting a unit does not provide any bonus XP.
Taking a city has no cap (may not be a bug)

Any other XP questions anyone can think of?
I,m going to work on sub guides linked together with a main index rather than just one massive combat guide.

Typically when you merge, the new unit occupies the hex of the bluey purple target unit.
This is certainly not the case always, not only for corps. The target tile appears to be the one with the highest XP as per a tank picture in Combat experience from buildings.

On the other hand, when you merge two units, the total health of the continuing unit appears to be exactly half of the combined health of the two merging units.
Yes, the health is summed then halved by the looks of it.

This is certainly not the case always, not only for corps. The target tile appears to be the one with the highest XP as per a tank picture in Combat experience from buildings.

Yes, the health is summed then halved by the looks of it.

Thanks for the clarifications, Victoria, and for the rest of the enlightenment in this thread! Greatly appreciated.

Appalled tonight to find you never get XP for dropping a nuke.... Even killing a unit with a nuke provides nada.

My fighter gets 4 XP for attacking their fighter on the ground but 3 when attacking a destroyer.

I also noticed, I attacked with a fighter I had on patrol and it could still defend in the defensive phase (3XP). Yes the AI attacked me.... in firetuner sometimes the AI seems to behave more as expected.

Last edited:
Wow, nice work. Cheers for clearing that up, bro :goodjob:

Will help a lot when merging units and assaulting cities.

Top Bottom