• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[DLL] (7-NS) Units keep up in experience when their origin city's starting XP increases

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like teh current behavior myself, makes timing of these buildings more important, teching to them more important, and continues incentives to build over upgrade.

This feels like making the game easier just for the sake of making it easier.

Not just easier, but also more convenient. QoLs are made for convince specifically and are welcome. It'd work the same for AI, obviously.

This removes a game mechanic and decision point
This.

Small, simple decisions with competing alternatives is what we want for VP -- besides 1UPT, this is the big change in civ 5 from civ 2-4; all the systems are generally much simpler. But layered together all of these simple decisions make for satisfying complexity and depth, and arguably the best version of the game we've seen yet.

We don't want to eliminate decisions, we want to adjust or replace these decision opportunities with more interesting ones, ie. some player driven decision to reclaim this xp

Speaking of, someone needs to post the suggested change to add damage to units on upgrade.

This removes a game mechanic and decision point and calls it a QoL improvement.
Nah, I don't call it a QoL. I meant that convince itself is sometimes a good enough reason, because that's the point of QoLs. So I refute the argument that it's only to make the game easier.

The military normally establish training routines to keep their soldiers in top shape, they don't just spend their routine idle after graduating. This goes since the first professional armies were established, and many military leaders reshaped the training of their current forces to take advantage of new tactics. There are also many military reforms throughout history that involved retraining of their current forces, they didn't simply leave existing ones struck with old tactics while training recruits in the newest ones.
Maybe make the units garrison to a city to do the training so they would get the XP bonus.

This proposal seems to make even the units on the Antarctica suddenly gained XP out of nowhere because their ruler chose a policy or their hometown has just built a Military Academy. Still totally doesn't make sense.

I like teh current behavior myself, makes timing of these buildings more important, teching to them more important, and continues incentives to build over upgrade.

This feels like making the game easier just for the sake of making it easier.
This removes a game mechanic and decision point and calls it a QoL improvement.
This.

Small, simple decisions with competing alternatives is what we want for VP -- besides 1UPT, this is the big change in civ 5 from civ 2-4; all the systems are generally much simpler. But layered together all of these simple decisions make for satisfying complexity and depth, and arguably the best version of the game we've seen yet.

We don't want to eliminate decisions, we want to adjust or replace these decision opportunities with more interesting ones, ie. some player driven decision to reclaim this xp
There's a much bigger decision that precludes this whole upgrade vs replace one, which is whether you've been putting your civ into wars in the first place. If you've been warring, most of your units should be comfortably above the XP of newly trained units, and won't benefit from this system. If you've been at peace for a long time, then that's when you're most likely to have inexperienced units, and likely a relatively small force as well. Which means you're not in condition to be replacing them; you'll most likely be in a situation in which you need to grow your forces quickly, and have to both build new and upgrade existing units.

And again, it doesn't make sense for units to be spending decades, centuries, or even millennia, neglecting military know-how that their civilization has formalized, institutionalized and prepared the logistics for teaching and training. This whole idea that existing units should remain ignorant for the sake of a "upgrade vs replace" decision is artificial.

Maybe make the units garrison to a city to do the training so they would get the XP bonus.

This proposal seems to make even the units on the Antarctica suddenly gained XP out of nowhere because their ruler chose a policy or their hometown has just built a Military Academy. Still totally doesn't make sense.
I've kept it simple to use because I can't be sure that the AI would know how to use it otherwise. I remember modmod discussions about the AI being unable to figure out mechanics like "stay near an owned city, or this unique Great General, to passively earn XP"; such effects were often dropped as a result, and this proposal's system could end with the same fate, if not veto'ed, if I added conditions like that.

Ah yes, a nonintuitive mechanic that applies to all units, except for certain units, except if you have a certain wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom