Community Patch - Modpack (Multiplayer Compatible)

anyway to improve this as its alright with 2 players but any more and it resyncs after turn 1/2 and most turns after?

Edit : turns out 2/3 of my friends are pretty stable but once we include number 3 it all goes wrong :D any ideas?

Using EUI? If so, drop EUI.

G

Change hosts? Sorry, MP is very fickle.

G

no worries trying it now will edit this post with logs etc after

Edit: quite patchy with new host with random re-syncs ( good few turns then 2 resyncs then 1 good turn resync etc.)

logs attached

Attachments

• Logs.7z
    78.1 KB · Views: 40
Played about 15 turns with my friend. Map: huge fractal. Barbarians on. Playing on 2-player teams.

There were multiple desyncs (about every 3 turns). What is interesting, we observed that one desync happened when I stepped into ancient ruins and got 20 culture... while my teammate got free tech (I certainly didn't). Then desync happened and after loading, my friend didn't had this tech any more.

After that we started game without barbs - and without desyncs.

My theory was that barbarians do some weirdness with ruins and every time that weird thing happens (for example for AI) then desync appears. But well, just look at logs.

Attachments

• Logs.rar
    100.2 KB · Views: 56
Small Test with my Friend / Played 2 Games : CPProject Full 3/9 (No-EUI)

First Game about 72 Turns
Map: Small Continents
Map Size: Standard
Marathon
Hybrid
Barbarians OFF
NO Acient Ruins
2 human , 8 AI no Teams
-->NO Desyncs:)

Second Game about 48 Turns
Map: Small Continents
Map Size: Standard
Marathon
Hybrid
Barbarians ON
NO Acient Ruins
2 human , 13 AI no Teams
-->NO Desyncs:)

----->Mayby the theory from Finarvi is correct:thumbsup:

Do barbarians and ruins still cause problems online? We tried a game without barbs that seemed to go better but I didn't think to turn off ruins as well.

@Regaza:
Could you try another game with the same setting and barbs + ruins enabled?
That would be a proof for this theory! :)

Does it help?

G

Allegedly it does, and I do understand the technical reasons why it would, but as I mentioned I haven't needed to.

By forcing UDP traffic through a VPN tunnel configured to run via TCP, you overcome UDP's inherent lack of reliability. TCP ensures all data is transmitted, and in correct order.

You do theoretically suffer more overhead/less performance but in practice as Civ is turn-based I doubt latency is a serious issue. Making sure the data that is received by all parties is correct and complete is more important.

Allegedly it does, and I do understand the technical reasons why it would, but as I mentioned I haven't needed to.

By forcing UDP traffic through a VPN tunnel configured to run via TCP, you overcome UDP's inherent lack of reliability. TCP ensures all data is transmitted, and in correct order.

You do theoretically suffer more overhead/less performance but in practice as Civ is turn-based I doubt latency is a serious issue. Making sure the data that is received by all parties is correct and complete is more important.

I'd love a step-by-step that we could include in the modpack instructions, if possible.

G

I'd love a step-by-step that we could include in the modpack instructions, if possible.

G

Configuring a VPN with OpenVPN might be a bit tricky for many players, but as an easy-to-install/use alternative, does Tunngle uses a TCP-tunnel?
I think it does..

You could connect over the LAN option then.

@Lynnes
Thank you for your work on the modpack.

I registered to report that I am having a lot of issues downloading the modpack from your choice of host, and to request that you upload it to a more reliable one like MEGA.

I am on a stable 512k connection and the download fails everytime at ~20%.

Thanks again.

Me and my friend tried to set up my. We got the patch up and running but both of us are missing UI elements. We cannot see any unit selection elements, cannot even build first city as the bottom left corner where you usually get a box with unit actions won't show up, no selection indicator on units, can move and build using keyboard shortcuts but cannot enter city view. What could be causing this?

@uns:
alright, I'll upload them somewhere else in the future!

@Mikaels:
I'll have a look, which version are you using (EUI or NoEUI)?

We played for 141 turns or something like that, The only problems that we encountered was religious buildings tooltip did not work and one thing that was unexpected. the pathfinders did not get the select thing promotion.

I think when I played in the none multiplayer version of the mod that they had that promotion instead of all the combat ones.

Hade some desink looking loading screens as well.
hade ancient ruins on and barbarians.

We played for 141 turns or something like that, The only problems that we encountered was religious buildings tooltip did not work and one thing that was unexpected. the pathfinders did not get the select thing promotion.

I think when I played in the none multiplayer version of the mod that they had that promotion instead of all the combat ones.

Hade some desink looking loading screens as well.
hade ancient ruins on and barbarians.

The pathfinder had to be replaced, since it would cause desyncs otherwise.
How many desyncs did you encounter?

We did not count them. :( But i think it was less than what i had when i play multiplayer last year.
I feel like there where more of them in the begining then the end.

Top Bottom