comparing civ 2 and civ 4

There is one thing I like in Civ2 that I think they should have kept in later games. You could select music in Civ2, and if you got tired of the game music you could listen to your own music. A simple thing but very nice, and it's rather strange that they abandoned it to force you to listen to music you may or may not like.

You can turn the volume off in the settings and listen to music from itunes or youtube at the same time.

There was one feature in civ2 that I liked a lot. The ability to transform tiles with engineers. Unfortunately this was removed in later civ games.

Well, in Civ 5 you can do that with any Great Person, but that possibly should not be a reason to play that game:mischief:

There is one thing I like in Civ2 that I think they should have kept in later games. You could select music in Civ2, and if you got tired of the game music you could listen to your own music. A simple thing but very nice, and it's rather strange that they abandoned it to force you to listen to music you may or may not like.

I'm not sure how it was, but I clearly remember listening my own music within the game (Civ4) in the past. First, I think there's a file path to take a folder within which your music files lie and second I think you simply can swap present in-game music with yours. Search more...and don't try to fond faulty specs from civ4. That game is god compared to other levels in the franchise.

============================
============================

@Lymond

in Civ4 - go to sound options - set ANY folder as default background play for mp3s

in Civ4 - go to sound options - set ANY folder as default background play for mp3s

I got mine set up for each era. 70's, 80"s, 90's, etc. Nothing quite like having classic def lep blasting during the middle ages :)

Well, in Civ 5 you can do that with any Great Person, but that possibly should not be a reason to play that game:mischief:

No, what I meant was that you could use engineers ( some sort of advanced workers) to change tiles like grass land to other tiles with random bonus such as wheat or animals.

Yeah, terraforming was great; especially the city center square into a hill (100% defense bonus).

I play it occasionally but mostly for the nostalgia. If I go retro I usually go all the way and play Civ I. Simple, quick and very board-game-y. Though I will concede that Civ 2 is superior to it in every way except playing time lol.

I guess the main reason I don't play Civ 2 is that everything it can do, Alpha Centauri can do better LOL.

some more stuff:

felt more epic in civ2:
- building the spaceship (you could build various sizes of the ship, to affect capacity, speed, reliability and thus score)
- democracy/republic "civics" - big bonus, but you really had to "care" for them to keep them
- air combat - I never really got the taste for aircombat system which begin in civ3 and was followed to civ4

interesting, not necessarily better or worse:
- unit support system (unit supported from its home city by hammers, home city concept)
- caravan system
- war unhappyness - based on the home city concept, away units from that city makes citizens unhappy. (but could be abused via shakespeares theatre which does the same thing)

way better in civ 4:
- less grind
- due to no engineer transformation (aka terraforming), you have to work with the land you have, I like this. more variety in tile improvements
- AI, compared to civ4, civ2 feels like a sandbox game. AI was improved hugely in all aspects: combat, expansion etc. this might seem obvious, but is there as much improvement in AI from civ3 to civ5?
- diplomacy system , in civ2, AI sneak attacked any time one of its units met a weaker unit
- culture system, removal of troops before war.

Civ2 had none of those ;)
they all from Civ1.

No way man. Palace was Civ1, Throne Room was Civ2. Ransoming barb leaders was both.

Barbarian leaders were around too. The only thing I don't recall is having the game rank you every time you quit.

Now that I think about it, it wasn't Save>Quit, it was Save>Retire would bring you to the demographics and rank screen.

EDIT: A little detail about Civ2 I liked--depending on what kind of government a civ had, their leader's title would change. For example, you would get an invitation to speak with Comrade Ramesses of the Egyptians (for Communism), or High Priest Napoleon of the French (with Fanaticism).

- AI, compared to civ4, civ2 feels like a sandbox game. AI was improved hugely in all aspects: combat, expansion etc. this might seem obvious, but is there as much improvement in AI from civ3 to civ5?
Civ3 AI was far superior to Civ2. And Civ4 was yet another big step forward. Then came civ5. :sad:

I guess the main reason I don't play Civ 2 is that everything it can do, Alpha Centauri can do better LOL.

Too true. SMAC still compares pretty favourably to more recent Civs as well, though.

Someone should mod the SMAC engine into a world-history setting.

Top Bottom