Competing VC's

I like the idea of letting Cam choose the VC's from any but domination but not telling us which were chosen. It definitely adds to the intrigue!

I don't think we need to worry about partial VC's. I have a feeling the game will be a race to finish your own VC before we default into space. Hmm... sounds like how the AI plays :lol:

I'll edit my first post about the rules to make sure we're all (more or less) on the same page. Hopefully nobody will come up with a particularly devious way of sabotaging everyone else's VC!

lurker's comment:

Sorry Dhoom, I was under the impression that Conquest was out in light of #16. I see that you later proposed having other VCs open but not allocated, but was not certain if this was just an idea or whether it was something that was agreed.

Very happy to do as you guys want, and apologies if I've just muddied the waters further! Please advise if you want me to go back to 'square one'.

I think it'll be more fun if we add conquest to the mix so that we don't know what the unassigned VC is. Thanks for helping out Cam!

lurker's comment:

OK ... I'll get right onto it then.

Sorry - a relatively simple task you'd think could be done right the first time! :crazyeye: :lol:

lurker's comment:

OK ... it's done! Thanks for your thanks, but (a.) happy to help, and (b.) slightly :blush: that I was on the wrong wavelength re. what was wanted.

If you need someone 'neutral' to perform any other tasks, please don't hesitate to ask. In the meantime I'll enjoy lurking.

So, just out of curiosity, are we going to have a similar rule for techs as we have for build items, in that we can't switch techs? Or is it more "anything goes" in that arena?

Also, do we want to discuss a bit of a plan for the first turnset or so (since the same opening would probably be used for any victory condition) or shall we just "wing it" for the entire game?

Honestly, I could see any Victory condition having difficulties with tech waffling. For example, Conquest working on a Military tech for only 1/4 of the time and then falling behind as all of the AIs beat us to military techs, Cultural barely ever able to self-found a Religion, and the other Victory Conditions just having a tough time about getting the relevant techs for their buildings.

It's all hard to say if it is a fair practice, because some turnsets will be inherrently unfair (no choice available because the last person picked a long-to-research tech like Civil Service), but hopefully these unfair turnsets will be evenly distributed as the game goes on.

How about a middle ground. You can't change the currently selected tech UNLESS the tech will take longer than 15 turns (i.e., your whole turn set) at the start of your turn set. This way, the previous player can't make you stuck with a tech that will take longer than your turn set.

Here's the start:

I'm assuming settle in place?

Settings:

And the randomly generated order for the first go-around:
shyuhe
Rolo
mysty
Dhoom

If we agree on SIP, I'll play the first 20 turns and then everyone is 15 turns after that.

Also, please note the changes to the rules that I made. Under rule 2, we can ONLY "trade" techs in response to an AI demand for that tech.

Also, please note the changes to the rules that I made. Under rule 2, we can ONLY "trade" techs in response to an AI demand for that tech.
So, if an AI makes a Demand, that means that we have to refuse it? Doesn't that rule make it harder for Diplo attempts?

Settling in place looks fine.

(4) no player may spread a corporation that will remove an existing corporation in a city; and
So, just to confirm and clarify, since you seem to want to use the first message as the placeholder for the rules, we are allowed to replace an AI-owned Corporation in one of our Cities, right?

(5) no player may change the tech selected at the start of his turn set UNLESS that tech will take longer than 15 turns.
15 turns... how do we measure this value? 100% Science? Perhaps at whichever Science Slider value we can sustain while still having positive Gold income?

lurker

I hope you will post screens too for us lurkers :).

btw that 15 turns of research are on 100% slider or 0% slider ;-) or the position of slider the previous leader left off, or balanced gpp?

I think you shouldn't to overrule much and since it's friendly competition use common sense imo

Reading through that first post again raises a few questions/comments for me:

I guess 15t at breakeven makes most sense as this rule is there to give the player a chance to select his preferred tech.

What about your "may ban slavery and nationhood"? I don't think banning slavery especially has any other effect but crippling us, especially since we're spiritual.

Didn't we at some point talk about no tech trading? :confused: And ban AI interactions except resource deals?

Shyuhe, where's the save? :run: :D

I'll post the save after I finish my set :p

I'll edit the rules. I think I forgot some in my hurry :blush:

The 15 turn research will be measured at the first positive break-even point.

I can leave slavery in if we can all agree to not abuse it to wreck the next player's set. That's my primary concern for slavery (and nationhood).

Top Bottom