Complete Mac Mayania

1760 (inherited turn): Research Labs cancelled. A bit over 10% of our treasury spent to upgrade most of our Infantry to MI. UN and Manhattan Project started for grins and giggles. Those Solar Plants I notice are sold.

Interturn: Miniaturization completes, research to Nuclear Power.

1762 (1): Internet started, along with quite a few MA for lack of anything else to build.

1764 (2): River Crossing set to Palace as a Planetary Party Lounge prebuild. Salamanca on Army as prebuild. We don't have anything else that would make a good prebuild.

1766 (3): :coffee:

Interturn: Renew Furs deal w/ Celts for 33 GPT. SS Engine completed in Quirigua - 4 down, 6 to go.

1768 (4): :coffee:

Interturn: Nuclear Power completes, research to The Laser. SS Exterior Casing completed at Palenque - 5 down, 5 to go.

1770 (5): Nuclear Plants started in large numbers.

1772 (6): :coffee:

1774 (7): :coffee:

Interturn: 8 pollution events in one turn, most of them on Hills and Mountains! :eek: Talk about bad luck!

1776 (8): :coffee:

Interturn: Renew deal w/ Portugal - Dyes for Spices/Furs/Gems straight up. Netherlands can't pay anything for Coal anymore. The Laser completes, research to Robotics. 2 more pollution.

1778 (9): River Crossing to PPL. Wastes hundreds of shields - I guess I overdid the prebuild! Oh well. Quirigua starts Palace prebuild for the Stasis Chamber. 5 pollution cleaned up, 5 left.

Interturn: Renew Horses sale to Dutch for 9 GPT. SETI completes. PPL completes (surprise, surprise). 6 down, 4 to go. 2 more pollution.

1780 (10): 5 pollution cleaned up, 2 left.

Handoff notes: Our 24 Workers on the mainland are currently set on auto-Clean. All ships are fortified because I didn't feel like worrying about them - wake them up if you feel like it, but I honestly don't see the point. We've got bunches of workers fortified in our island possessions if needed.

Internet and Manhattan will complete next turn, UN in 5. Quirigua is on a Palace prebuild, swap them to the Stasis Chamber when Robotics completes. A huge pile of Manufacturing Plants will be in order, too - the Solar Plants currently in production are meant to be prebuilds for those. Though now that I think about it, I thought Robotics was next turn so some of them may complete too soon to be useful for that. dojoboy, please correct that :smoke: on my part.

Robotics will complete in 3. Superconductor next, in 7, and then Satellites in 11. Then as soon as the Thrusters are built, we win!

Netherlands are 12 techs from the Modern era. Celts 8, Portugal 6. We'll easily complete the spaceship before they can even think about starting.

Roster:
dojoboy (up!)
Blue Monkey (on deck, should finish it off for us)

Finished their last round:
Beamup (just played)
Serkhon (MIA)
frunobolax (doing game testing)
Aoxomoxoa

The save is FileValet this time.

Attachments

• Mac Mayaniac of the Maya, 1780 AD.SAV
    439.7 KB · Views: 64
lurker's comment: Even though I've been following the game, I still would like to ask:

To what do you attribute the impressive output, in terms of production and research, that your civ is cranking out -- getting entire advances in just a couple of turns, massive quick builds of spaceship parts, etc. Is it the large number of cities? (I realize it's a variety of factors, but I'm curious to get your thoughts directly.) In other words, if you had to rank the factors most responsible for the high production rate, what would the top few be? I struggle to get the same in my games (and I'm often racing the clock, too -- that is, even if I'm ahead in the spacerace, it's often a close call to finish in time), but I still can't pinpoint what you have done differently -- though number of cities is quite a bit higher. I think (comparing this game to most of mine) I probably also have too many military units, and maybe unnecessary improvements, costing me maintenance, but my biggest drain on the treasury is usually corruption, so I haven't focused much on micromanaging unit upgrades/deactivation or selling improvements. But if I am underestimating the importance of that -- that's the kind of thing I'm curious about now, having followed along with this game.

Also, another difference between this game and most of mine is, I've noticed, you guys trade away advances much more readily than I do. I'm always concerned that the other civs are going to "catch up" if I trade away my advances for gpt or something -- or I'm afraid that my relative advantage will evaporate if I trade an advance that I have to them. I have been surprised several times at this team's willingness to do so, though. Obviously, it works, though, and I suspect there's a connection between the answer to this question and the answer to my first one, but maybe you can refer me to a useful strategy thread or grant me some brief thoughts on this here.

I appreciate it, and have enjoyed following along. Good job.

audsquad

audsquad said:
To what do you attribute the impressive output, in terms of production and research, that your civ is cranking out -- getting entire advances in just a couple of turns, massive quick builds of spaceship parts, etc. Is it the large number of cities? (I realize it's a variety of factors, but I'm curious to get your thoughts directly.) In other words, if you had to rank the factors most responsible for the high production rate, what would the top few be?
I'd say it's the combination of a large number of cities, with plenty of land, under Communism. All three are critical.

audsquad said:
Also, another difference between this game and most of mine is, I've noticed, you guys trade away advances much more readily than I do.
There are two major points to keep in mind. First, if you trade a tech for GPT, the other civ will lower their science rate to pay for the trade. This means that you can actually slow them down by trading with them, if the price is right. Second, when you do a trade with one civ, you and that civ both gain ground on all the others. Maybe you don't gain on that one, but overall you come out ahead.

audsquad said:
I appreciate it, and have enjoyed following along. Good job.
Thanks!

Blue Monkey said:
I vote that if Dojoboy is just a turn or two away, go ahead and win the game for us; be sure and take some screenshots.
*shrug* Fine with me, if you don't object.

I'm ready for another one!! This was so much fun. It's very interesting to go back and see where we could have been even more efficient, yet realizing that we did have GOOD planning and anticipation. It's been very enjoyable, lets get the next one rolling!

My best to your father Dojo, I know first hand about battling cancer. I have been dealing with Multiple Myeloma for the last 2-1/2 years, including going throuh a bone marrow transplant.

Aoxo

Beamup said:
*shrug* Fine with me, if you don't object.

Go ahead and play your turns Beamup. Then, I'll jump back in the rotation.

I just did that. :) Which means you're up.

BM's proposal was that you could play 12 turns instead of 10 to finish up. Well, it might end up being more than 12 if the Thrusters aren't prebuilt. But 12 is certainly possible.

Do try and remember to correct my error of starting Manu. Plant prebuilds (the Solar Plants) too early, please.

Currently playing, update this eveing. I've just finished turn 8 and will play to SS launch - roughly 3-4 more turns.

Pre-turn: Switched solar plant pre-builds in pertinent cities.

IBT-> Renewed iron deal w/ Dutch;

1782 AD (1) - Chiconautla b. Manhattan Project, set to Manuf. pre-build; Marlboro Country b. The Internet, set to nuclear plant;

1784 AD (2) - Pollution hit 7 tiles; IBT -> renew gems deal w/ Celts;

1786 AD (3) - Research Robotics, set to Superconductor; River Crossing b. nuclear plant, set to SS Stasis Chamber; Polluted tiles cleared; Switched solar plant/research plant pre-builds over to manufacturing plants; IBT -> Renewed gems gpt deal w/ Celts;

1788 AD (4) - Two polluted tiles/cleared;

1790 AD (5) - Teayo b. United Nations, set to manufacturing plant; 6 manufacturing plants built; UN vote declined; two polluted tiles/cleared;

1792 AD (6) - 13 manufacturing plants built; four polluted tiles/cleared;

1794 AD (7) - Researched Superconductor, set to Satellites; Niagara Falls b. manufacturing plant, set to SS Fuel Cells; Teotihuacan b. cathedral, set to SS Life Support System; 16 manufacturing plants built; River Crossing b. SS Stasis Chamber, set to manufacturing plant; three polluted tiles/cleared; Notice Celt riflemen moving toward Mayan city;

IBT -> Celts seek to renew RoP that pays them 10 GPT - denied.

1796AD (8) - 12 manufacturing plants built; two polluted tiles/cleared;

1798 AD (9) - Niagara Falls b. SS Fuel Cells, set to colosseum; 8 manufacturing plants built, 8 polluted tiles;

1800 AD (10) - Teotihuacan b. SS Life Support System, set to wealth; 9 manufacturing plants built; previous polluted tiles cleared; 1 polluted tile; Forgot about Palace pre-build, forced to switch to manufacturing plant (lost a ton of shields);

1802 AD (11) - Researched Satellites, set to Genetics; CI b. temple, set to SS Thrusters (4 turns); 6 manufacturing plants built; 4 polluted tiles;

1804 AD (12) - 4 manufacturing plants built; 4 polluted tiles;

1806 AD (13) - 2 manufacturing plants built; 4 polluted tiles; IBT -> renewed deal w/ Celts;

1808 AD (14) - 1 manufacturing plant built; 4 polluted tiles;

1810 AD (15) - Researched Genetics, set to Smart Weapons; CI b. SS Thrusters, set to wealth; 7 polluted tiles; LAUNCH!

Re-cap Mac Mayaniac the Magnificent! Switched most cities over to wealth to reduce MM mostly - key items had been constructed for the most part;

Attachments

• Mac Mayaniac of the Maya, 1810 AD.SAV.zip
    416.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Victory.jpg
    Victory.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 80
  • victory_screen.jpg
    victory_screen.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 112
Having been away from the SG so long, it took me some time to orient myself - that was a lot of cities to manage. Even though I missed out on a portion due to travels, I really enjoyed the SG. Thanks to everyone. :good job:

:goodjob: A fitting victory. Could you post a save right before victory, so we can all put the game into our HoFs?

Who would be interested in another go, with another civ? I'd be open to that, which makes two so far. We should get Alan in for any second SG, I think.

Beamup said:
:goodjob: A fitting victory. Could you post a save right before victory, so we can all put the game into our HoFs?

Who would be interested in another go, with another civ? I'd be open to that, which makes two so far. We should get Alan in for any second SG, I think.

Damn, I just trashed them. I even saved before launch - brain freeze. Sorry guys.

After playing the 10 turns / turn, I have to admit it's preferrable. For many reasons, but especially for the time needed to play ten turns and log it v. playing 20 turns and logging them.

I'd like to see the set-up for another SG before I commit. Personally, I'd like a smaller map and less cities to manage.

Beamup said:

Well done guys - even though I've been away with game testing I've been popping by to see the magnificent victory unfold! I won't have enough time free at the moment to participate in the next SG, but will watch with interest! :goodjob:

Top Bottom