Complete Mac Mayania

I'm in the midst of using workers along the lines Beamup laid out. I'm sending some transports to our overseas/islands cities to aid development and increase population; I plan to use some to pop-rush needed improvements there. After doing that I was thinking of starting a Democratic revolution: That the extra shields and gp will more than make up for a few anarchic turns in the long run. Any objections? I won't pick up play again until after class tonight (about 10pm PST or later) so there's a few hours to speak up.

Blue Monkey said:
After doing that I was thinking of starting a Democratic revolution: That the extra shields and gp will more than make up for a few anarchic turns in the long run. Any objections?
Yes, there are objections. Extremely strong objections. Our production and income would almost certainly be MUCH lower under Democracy, since corruption will go through the roof due to the huge size of our empire. Plus losing 9 turns of production, without much time to enjoy any tiny gains we might see even if there were any.

We're almost done with the game - probably less than 40 turns left - so any per-turn gain would have to be HUGE to outweigh the Anarchy loss. Plus, Communism is a much stronger government for our current situation so we'd almost certainly end up losing a lot of production instead of gaining anything.

No pictures this time as micromanagement makes for poor photo-ops.

1680 AD - Begin researching rocketry. Building several solar plants. Workers mostly on cleanup. Added pop to selected cities. Transporting several boatloads to our overseas/island cities for use as local labor/city join/pop-rush.

1685 AD - build, build, build,... clean , clean, clean,..

1690 AD - Celts and Dutch sign a peace treaty. Our fur trade with Portugal expires. Celts get furs for 33 gpt. We also give them sanitation in exchange for Democracy, world map, 4 gpt, and their entire treasury of 278 gp. We don’t really need any of it, but they’re happy, and happy neighbors make good fences (Sorry Robert Frost). Gave Portugal sanitation for free artistry, 700 gp, and 1 gpt. They’re still annoyed with us, even after I gave them a 10 gp kickback.

1695 AD - Many cities are now set to produce wealth, as they have nothing else useful to build until we discover further techs. On the other hand, this lets me run a healthy deficit to fund our research.

1700 AD - Spain and Netherlands end their trade embargo against us. Why? Portugal just obliterated Spain. There’s a lot of newly available land as a result, but founding new cities would just be a distraction. Rocketry discovered and we begin researching space flight. Upgrade all our tanks (270 gp).

1705 AD - Furious portugal lets our RoP expire. Dutch ask to renew our peace treaty; their furious too, so I sweeten our yes with a small gift of gp.

1710 AD - build, build, build,... clean , clean, clean,..

1715 AD - Trades to Dutch: horses (9 gpt) coal (4 gpt) iron (10 gpt) and basically give away sanitation for their treasury of 80 gp plus a crummy world map; but who wants smelly crabby neighbors any way.

1720 AD - Portugal gets electricity for fascism, a world map, and hold your breathe: 2480 gp. Then we give them surplus spice, gems, fur, and 900 of their own gp back for the dyes we’ve been craving. They’ve been poking around with their navy, and I really didn’t want to tempt them to be naughty with RoP. We discover space flight. I set research to computers so that our many idle cities can build research labs to boost our progress. Calixtlahuaca is set to build the Apollo program. It can finish 2 turns sooner than anybody else because it was a top producer anyway and had almost finished building university before I switched it. Celts made an incursion near Silkworm, staying instead of just passing through, so i sent out a couple of units to encourage them to leave.

1725 AD - Which they did. Computers will finish in three and Apollo in four. I left quite a stack of workers near River Crossing unmoved. They’ve been cleaning up for a decade (several events in the mountains) and are idle just now. most should probably be kept handy, but if whoever plays next pokes around they may find a city or two that needs a population boost. Speaking of which, most of our overseas/island cities have the second wave of immigrants handy for whatever may be needed. Napa Valley is going to hiccup first turn, getting disorderly just as it builds a coliseum. For a laugh I retired after saving: we’re suffering an embarrassing defeat, with none of our cities in the top five (the Celts have 3), Chichen Itza has roughly half the culture of the leading city, although our civ as a whole is slightly ahead. All that said, in the side-show we’re rated “Magnificent”.

Here’s the normal save:

View attachment 120807

And something for AlanH and the next player to try:

View attachment 120806

Note to AlanH: FileValet says the compressed file has a score of 4680 whatever that means. The original save is 3.6 mb. The standard zip is 304 kb. The FV version is 420 kb.

Roster: ????

Thanks. I downloaded it and fired up Civ3 Complete and loaded it up. I had a mild heart attack when it stalled for what seemed like several minutes during the load sequence, but I guess that's down to the size of your empire and the scale of the game. I confirmed that the score given in the FileValet status info matches your current in-game score as reported in the F8 screen.

You seem to have the game well under control. Good luck :)

AlanH said:
... I had a mild heart attack when it stalled for what seemed like several minutes during the load sequence, but I guess that's down to the size of your empire and the scale of the game. ...
One nice thing about playing on a G3 is that I already expect it to be slow, and I can comfortably listen to streamcast talk radio while I play a casual game (for Mac Mayania I stick to instrumental music).

Blue Monkey said:
Building several solar plants
Why? The only cities where they won't just suck up shields and gold are the ones overseas, since we have Hoover.

Looks good otherwise. I was afraid Portugal would get mad once the wars were over and they started considering our poor treatment of the Dutch and Spanish to be bad instead of good. (Definitely a flaw in the diplo there.) Oh well, it's not like we really need them for anything.

I would suggest we not worry about building actual research labs, and instead go for Minaturization next and start a prebuild for the Internet. That'll do the job for us.

After that, we could go along the Robotics path to get Manufacturing Plants and Nuclear Plants, both of which will further boost our shield production. Finish up with Satellites and Superconductor for the last SS parts.

Roster:
Beamup (on deck)
dojoboy (out until about Saturday - hopefully back in time to play)
Blue Monkey (just played)
Aoxomoxoa (up!)

Currently out long-term:
Serkhon (MIA)
frunobolax (doing game testing)

As far as the file goes, it loads up fine here too. A brief stall at 36%, maybe 3-4 seconds, but no more than that, and that's normal for all games I load.

Beamup said:
Why? The only cities where they won't just suck up shields and gold are the ones overseas, since we have Hoover.
I guess I wasn't aware of that. Better to change the builds, and maybe sell those already built.

Beamup said:
As far as the file goes, it loads up fine here too. A brief stall at 36%, maybe 3-4 seconds, but no more than that, and that's normal for all games I load.
I always get the same stall, but thought it was just my slow machine.

It was more like 3-4 minutes here, with a shorter stall at 22%. Maybe I need a restart. My Mac's been through the ringer lately, with lots of development work, and the invitable crahes during debugging, that's maybe left it in a dodgy state.

Blue Monkey said:
I guess I wasn't aware of that. Better to change the builds, and maybe sell those already built.
Yeah, it's confusing because the other plants still show up as an option to build even though they're useless. The basic rundown of the power plants:

Coal: Available early, can be built everywhere, but pollutes.
Solar: Available late, can be built everywhere, but expensive.
Hydro: Restricted building, but cheap and non-polluting.
Nuclear: Available late, restricted building, can melt down if you're inattentive, but provides a bigger production boost.

So the preference runs like Nuclear > Hydro > Solar > Coal. Solar is good for replacing Coal Plants in cities where Hydro is not an option, and that's about it. And with Hoover, Hydro is an option (and a free option at that) everywhere on the continent, so only Nuclear provides any additional advantage.

Blue Monkey said:
I always get the same stall, but thought it was just my slow machine.
AlanH said:
It was more like 3-4 minutes here, with a shorter stall at 22%. Maybe I need a restart. My Mac's been through the ringer lately, with lots of development work, and the invitable crahes during debugging, that's maybe left it in a dodgy state.
I always get a multi-second pause at 36%, no matter what the game is. A 4000 BC autosave acts exactly the same as a 2000 AD FV file. I've never seen more than ~5 seconds myself, on either of my systems (2 GHz iMac Core Duo & 1.42 GHz iBook G4). Definitely something odd going on. Do you think we should point it out to Brad?

I've cried wolf a couple of times to Brad when it turned out to be a system issue, so I'll investigate some more first. As I say, my system is prolly not the most stable test platform in the world, given the amount of development and debugging I do.

Turn 1 - 1725 AD - Switched all solar plants to various building projects.

Turn 2 - 1730 AD - Cleaned a little pollution. Not much else. Got 8 GPT for gems from Celts.

Turn 3 - 1735 AD Researched Computers, set to Fission and in in 4. Got 11 gpt for spices from Celts. 2 pollution cleaned

Turn 4 - 1740 AD - not much happening. 2 pollution cleaned

Turn 5 1745 - Started Seti project, and started 4 SS products. 2 pollution cleaned

Turn 6 - 1750 - very quiet turn. 2 pollution cleaned

Turn 7 - 1752 - Researched Fission, set to Miniaturization, due in 4. Citizenry shocked into action as they are ripped from their sets while watching Mayan Idol to clean 4 pollution. Set Marlboro Country on a prebuild for the Internet GW.

Turn 8 - 1754 - Quiet. 2 pollution cleaned

Turn 9 - 1756 - 1 pollution cleaned.... A Nation Yawns.

Turn 10 - 1758 - 2 pollution cleaned.

Turn 11 - 1760 Technically the 10th turn since Turn 1 was just finishing up a few unit movements. 2 pollution cleaned. Remember, Marlboro is prebuilding the Internet which will become available on the next turn, about 300 shields worth at this point.

Your faithful servant,
Aoxo

View attachment Mac Mayaniac of the Maya, 1760 AD.SAV.zip

Okay, I'm finally back home from a fun but brutal romp around the US. First, it was to Oklahoma City for the NCAA wrestling championships, then to Orlando for a week of fun w/ my family at Disney World. On our way home,we stopped by my Pop's house to see him. He's battling lung cancer (prayers welcome). While thre, we took the boys to a History of Aviation Museum - loved it.

So now, I need to read up on the moat recent plays.

Why so many Research Labs in production when we've already got an Internet prebuild going? They'll all become redundant when that finishes. I'll swap those.

5 techs, 21 turns to go for all the SS parts - we should win on Blue Monkey's next round!

Anyway, I happen to be free right now, so "got it" and playing now.

dojoboy said:
On our way home,we stopped by my Pop's house to see him. He's battling lung cancer (prayers welcome).
Sorry to hear about your father. Best wishes to him and your entire family, from myself and my wife.

Top Bottom