Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so much a computer question, but is it true there's lots of Asperger's Syndrome people in the computer business?

Thats news to me, I never heard of that... that seems like a justified reason to not order from dell, but are refurbished parts necessarily a bad thing?

It's not like a mechanical component that can be rebuilt to essentially as good as new. It's parts that have already been partly used up their life span. And are therefor more likely to fail in the nearer future.

Refurb parts arent necessarily bad, but if they're being sold at full price, thats a rip-off. Its why you can find open-box items on newegg for sometimes half off.

Not so much a computer question, but is it true there's lots of Asperger's Syndrome people in the computer business?

People with Aspergers are often strong with logic (maths, physics, programming). There are differing levels of Aspergers and not all are obvious. Perhaps some of the ordinary "geek" types that you see around are mild sufferers and the only difference they have from others is a social ineptitude and a desire to use a calculator.

You could start uninstalling one by one and see how the computer reacts.

Yeah, I might try that, but it will take some time to backup all the music files I've created and uninstall. :)

Oh and BTW I checked the temperature and except for 2 of the temperatures (HD0, Temp2) all are LOWER than normal. There's no way that's the problem. The case of my computer is not fully in place so there's better circulation of air than normal, and it's also right near the window (and it's really cold this time of the year).

I don't care about the games really. I just want to not need to restart my computer every 2-3 hours to get an accurate rhythm on a MIDI-generated sound.

In this position, you may find it simplest to format your drive and reinstal windows.

Nah, don't have time, I've done that many times, but not since I got my 500 Gb hard disk. I've got way too much data to organize to have time for that before New Year's...

In any case, it's a minor problem. I just restart that computer and it's gone. For a few hours, at least. Then I restart again. Not a big deal.

Hi all. I currently have an AM2 motherboard(M2N sli deluxe) and am thinking about upgrading my X2 4200 processor. Should I go for a X2 6000? Or should I update my bios so AM2+ chips are compatible and get a Phenom? From what I understand, even with the update, hypertransport 3.0 will not work and my my bus will remain at HT 2.0 levels. Does anyone know if there will be significant bottlenecking without HT 3.0 support? My rig is mostly used for gaming.

Hi all. I currently have an AM2 motherboard(M2N sli deluxe) and am thinking about upgrading my X2 4200 processor. Should I go for a X2 6000? Or should I update my bios so AM2+ chips are compatible and get a Phenom? From what I understand, even with the update, hypertransport 3.0 will not work and my my bus will remain at HT 2.0 levels. Does anyone know if there will be significant bottlenecking without HT 3.0 support? My rig is mostly used for gaming.
There shouldn't be a problem with HT 2.0. Whether you want a Phenom or an Athlon depends on if you need a quad-core or not.

There shouldn't be a problem with HT 2.0. Whether you want a Phenom or an Athlon depends on if you need a quad-core or not.
Thanks Agbar. I actually answered my own question while poking around waiting for a reply. It turns out I can get better performance with games on a X2 6400 than on most Phenoms. That, and the fact that it's about 100 dollars cheaper and doesn't require a BIOS update pretty much makes it a no brainer.

That's fair but don't expect a massive difference.
It should make a nice difference with games that actually have multi-core support like Left for Dead and Far Cry 2. There is a 1 Ghz difference per core after all. My system specs are beginning to get on the low or underpowered side for games like this.

get a X2 7000 series. They're like 90$ and perfect from upgrades. Not quite the clock speeds of the 6400+, but you can probly OC it a bit to match.

(Make sure you get the black edition, unlocked multiplier helps with OC)

get a X2 7000 series. They're like 90$ and perfect from upgrades. Not quite the clock speeds of the 6400+, but you can probably OC it a bit to match.

(Make sure you get the black edition, unlocked multiplier helps with OC)

Thanks, I didn't even know there was a 7000 series. I'll look into it. I'm not too sure about OC'ing though, my MOBO is pushing two and a half years now and I'm not too savvy about voltages and cooling.

as I said, get a black edition. With an unlocked multiplier, OC'ing is easy. YOu just need a good cooler. Crank up the multiplier, if the system is unstable add a bit of voltage ( see AMD specs for maximum recommended voltages) and voila!

Note: Newegg doesnt have the 7750BE ( The only 7000 series out so far) since it was released just two days ago. You can bet itll be there before christmas though.

as I said, get a black edition. With an unlocked multiplier, OC'ing is easy. YOu just need a good cooler. Crank up the multiplier, if the system is unstable add a bit of voltage ( see AMD specs for maximum recommended voltages) and voila!

Note: Newegg doesnt have the 7750BE ( The only 7000 series out so far) since it was released just two days ago. You can bet itll be there before christmas though.
I think my biggest hangup here is that it is based on AM2+ Hypertransport. This would mean that even with a BIOS update I wouldn't be getting the full potential of the chip. Thanks for the lead sickciv but I think I'm going to stick with the 6000 series for now as buying a new MOBO is out of the question.

I think my biggest hangup here is that it is based on AM2+ Hypertransport. This would mean that even with a BIOS update I wouldn't be getting the full potential of the chip. Thanks for the lead sickciv but I think I'm going to stick with the 6000 series for now as buying a new MOBO is out of the question.
You would be getting the full potential. Bandwidth is not a limiting factor on desktop systems.

Other than the risk of it bursting into flames, why don't you put a laptop on your lap? My understanding is that it's bad for the air circulation, is that correct?

For the men, it can have... effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom