Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. :)

Is it just me, or some things seem easier and quicker to do with the command line? Can't think of anything right off the top of my head, but some things are cumbersome to do with a GUI.

Chkdsk is easier at the command line. And that's just off the top of my head.

Mapping network drives, starting stopping services.... Seem to be a bit easier for me too.

I was at Staples today, looking for something, and I saw these small laptops, I believe they're called mini notebooks. However, they were more expensive than the bigger ones. They seem like a good choice, but three questions.

1. Are they generally more expensive, or could it have been the manufacturer? (I don't remember which brands, but they were different.)
2. Is it possible to build one yourself? (There's a computer store in town which custom-builds desktops and lapstops, where I plan to get mine, and I was wondering if its only for big factories)?
3. In general, are they okay for heavy usage? (For example, durable, shock-proof, decent battery life?) I'll most likely be dragging it around with me to various places.

Thanks. :)

The price depends on the manufacturer, but generally, once you get into netbook territory, prices should be lower.
You should ask in the shop if its possible, they would know better.
Also depends on the model. They do generally have a good battery life, but I dont know about the other stuff like being shock proof.

The small laptops are likely to be built of more lightweight plastic, which kinda offsets the SDD bit. If the laptop shatters on drop, I doubt very much that you will care at that moment whether or not the data survived.

thank you.

The small laptops are likely to be built of more lightweight plastic, which kinda offsets the SDD bit. If the laptop shatters on drop, I doubt very much that you will care at that moment whether or not the data survived.
Not at the moment, but after that I certainly would.

Where can you find the little metal piece for a USB port? Mine's broken, and I want to replace it. I looked in Wal-Mart and Staples, neither of them had it. I don't want to go back to the place I got it, cos they want to send it back to the manufacturer, and its only a minor thing that would take maybe an hour at most to do.

Well, the USB port is still there, it probably still works, but the outside piece was broken and bent so I can't fit a USB in properly. (My mother was trying to force a USB plug in.)

Oh, and I can't order online. :(

If it's part of the case, then you probably need to order it from the case maker to get the matching part. There are no chains of computer parts stores that I know of any longer that would likely stock something like that. If there is an independent computer repair/dealer in town that would probably be your best bet.

Yes, there is, Thank you. :)

And about the mini-notebooks shattering -- although I'm clumsy usually, when it comes to laptops, I instantly transform into a very agile person. And I already have a laptop case, so thats not a problem.

Other than the risk of it bursting into flames, why don't you put a laptop on your lap? My understanding is that it's bad for the air circulation, is that correct?

Other than the risk of it bursting into flames, why don't you put a laptop on your lap? My understanding is that it's bad for the air circulation, is that correct?
Yeah, it can restrict airflow and cause the laptop to overheat; but it's not that big a deal unless your doing something intensive like gaming.

Thank you. I suppose it also covers not putting it on soft surfaces. Anyways, if I buy a laptop, I'm gonna get one of those portable desk thingies.

My computer sits on a desk next to a window, and I like to sleep with my window open, but I'm worried the cold air is somehow damaging my laptop and/or external harddrive. Do I need to be worried about cold or moist air?

morning dew might be bad for it, but generally that happens in the winter and only in colder parts of CA, so you should be pretty safe ( If you can sleep this time of the year with the window open, you're either a masochist, or its not that cold there). The bigger problem is if you live relatively close to a large road, there's gonna be a lot of dust getting sucked into your pc. If the air is simply cold, and the pc is left on, its actually pretty good for it.

If you do notice dew forming outside, id say that its a pretty good idea to close that window. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks. And it actually gets really foggy where I live in the winter (and summer mornings for that matter) in Napa. I wake up and there is usually frozen due on the grass outside... but at least I'm in the county away from major roads.

I think I'll just close it from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom