Concept for a C2C Climate System

I have thought about it a bit. While quite far reaching, so not implemented soon, the following would be quite interesting:

Map scripts are reduced to merely provide a height map and some global variables like starting sea level, global temperature and variables that govern summer/winter temperature distribution.

Then starting from that base temperature distribution the sequence of temperature, summer and winter wind, ocean current is simulated for 2 or 3 passes (wind and current influence temperature, hence multiple passes).
Based on that humidity and rain patterns are calculated and with the rain patterns rivers and lakes.

The interesting thing now would be to introduce biomes.
Biomes get an XML description that specifies:
  • Limits on temperature, humidity, height, latitude and probably some other things.
  • Valid terrains, features and resources and their occurance chances separately defined for border plots of the biome and inner plots.
  • Animals and their occurances. Animals also try to stay within biomes which are valid for them.
Starting with a random plot, a random biome that is valid for that plot is chosen and then extended until all plots next to the biome are not valid for that biome (or already assigned). Continue with a random unassigned plot until all plots are assigned.
Then assign valid terrains and sometimes features and resources to all plots (both the biome restrictions and the restrictions on the terrain/feature/resource itself apply).

In the game itself the sea level might change or local and global temperature distribution due to e.g. ice age, pollution or volcanos.
The climate is recalculated regularly and if a plot no more fits the biome it is assigned to, it is assigned to another adjacent biome if there is a valid one or forms a new biome. Empty biomes are removed.
If either of those requires a terrain/feature/resource change, that is not done at once but slowly transitions.

Biomes might also get names (maybe the first to discover it names it?).

That does indeed sound very interesting. What do you think the effects on performance would be?

That does indeed sound very interesting. What do you think the effects on performance would be?
Depends on the wind, current and temperature simulation, the rest is not that expensive.
You can make that very expensive but since we don't need accuracy you can also apply some fast approximations. And incremental calculations during the turns will be cheaper than the first time calculation.

I think the sea currents and wind patterns idea should be revisited. Especially if we are thinking about adding a weather layer to the game.

Both would affect sailing and movement. A big reason for the Norse getting to Iceland was the current that went one way was near by the wind that went the other way.

A weather system? IIRC Afforess made the storm clouds an optional that was off by default since the constant change of clouds crashed even the best of systems on the worst occasions.

The development of a climate system is already in the planning stages. Most if not all of the things you describe are part of the GeoRealism mod component I want to develop. If we incorporate weather systems into C2C then the GeoRealism mod will take advantage of that as well, using global winds and currents to determine where major hurricane and high pressure dry air systems will go, affecting the things you mention.

A major part of this mod component will be plot statistics that are not currently part of a plot that are consistent with your desires. Among those will be:

• altitude
  • average humidity
  • average temperature
  • annual precipitation
  • vegetation cover
  • uplift rate (rate of altitude increase due to geological factors)*
  • denudation rate (rate at which altitude is reduced due to erosion)*
  • average wind speed
  • average wind direction

* since these values will only affect the making of the map, they will disappear in the actual game.

The only thing that may or may not matter that hasn't been included in my envisioned model is sea level. That could easily be changed, but honestly during the time scope of this game, sea level changes will occur very rarely if at all since changes of a couple hundred feet take thousands of years or more. This will not significantly change the map in the 55000 or so years that take place in the game. A few coastal plains might appear or disappear but not much else.

A few coastal plains might appear or disappear but not much else.

If you get the code working to let a plot type change without crashing the game, let me know and I can get the fusion nukes working again. They were disabled since the plot type change crashed the game.

Here is what I was talking about ...

Sounds good.

Terrain
Ice -> Permafrost -> Tundra -> Muddy -> Lush -> Grasslands -> Plains -> Scrub -> Desert -> Dunes

Marsh -> Muddy -> Lush -> Grasslands -> Plains -> Scrub -> Desert -> Dunes

Barren -> Scrub -> Desert -> Dunes

Rocky -> Scrub -> Desert -> Dunes

Polar Coast -> Coast -> Tropical Coast -> Salt Flats

Polar Ocean -> Ocean -> Tropical Ocean -> Tropical Coast -> Salt Flats

As you can see if the whole planet turns into Venus the land becomes Dunes and the oceans become Salt Flats.

Terrain Features

Name = Disappears At
Forest = Desert
Bamboo = Desert
Savanna = Desert
Jungle = Desert
Tall Grass = Desert
Swamp = Plains
Bog = Plains
Kelp = Salt Flats
Coral Reef = Salt Flats
Icebergs = Ocean or Coast

Not sure how to simulate sea level rise. Perhaps when you loose the Polar Ocean to Temperate Ocean the sea level will raise an add a coastal tile of the same type to the land tile adjacent to them.

Pollution Buildings

Here are all the Pollution buildings and their values.

100 = Light Smog
200 = Moderate Smog
250 = Minor Global Warming
300 = Minor Ozone Depletion
400 = Acid Rain
500 = Heavy Smog
550 = Moderate Global Warming
600 = Moderate Ozone Depletion
700 = Coral Reef Bleaching
800 = Major Ozone Depletion
850 = Major Global Warming
900 = Toxic Atmosphere
1000 = Blackened Skies

Use this as a guide when ramping up the effects of global warming.

But that only for air pollution.
Water pollution can kill forest, grass and all others vegetation with a Tundra -> Permafrost ; Grasslands -> Plains -> Barren ; Marsh -> Muddy -> Barren ...
Taking both into account can be a challenge

If you get the code working to let a plot type change without crashing the game, let me know and I can get the fusion nukes working again. They were disabled since the plot type change crashed the game.

Were those your designs? If so, I will have some things to discuss with you regarding biological and chemical warfare and Afflictions soon.

I'm a fan!

But I'd like your help to rework the chem and bio weapons. Please review the Introduction to the Combat Mod posts. I've got a lot more info to put in those and another couple of parts to add but its a start. Once you've read those, you might have an idea where I'm headed there.

Wait, what about the Eden Project? I think in my last game (V24) it worked very well without crashes... and there was also a version (between 20 and 24) in which the fusi-nukes worked correctly. I was wondering why they didn't change the terrain in V24 anymore...

Wait, what about the Eden Project? I think in my last game (V24) it worked very well without crashes... and there was also a version (between 20 and 24) in which the fusi-nukes worked correctly. I was wondering why they didn't change the terrain in V24 anymore...

Yea, during the initial testing back during the RoM days, there was always a very slim chance of crashing. AIAndy or Koshling (I forget who) took a closer look and found out that when it did crash, the game was toast inside and out and decided to stop the fusion nukes from changing the landscape.

Yea, during the initial testing back during the RoM days, there was always a very slim chance of crashing. AIAndy or Koshling (I forget who) took a closer look and found out that when it did crash, the game was toast inside and out and decided to stop the fusion nukes from changing the landscape.

Did they ever figure out what was causing the crash?

Top Bottom