Connecting city states that are far away

drudometkin

Chieftain
I'm in a new game and budapest wants me to connect a road to it 13 spaces away. I'm thinking there's no way it's worth it, but am i wrong? Thanks.

It'll just sit around as something they want until it's done. I tend to dump a city in that size gap anyway, so later on it's no longer 13 tiles of emptiness, but possibly none, just the 3-5 from my primary road.

Side question: do you pay maintenance on roads you built outside your territory? Can't see why you would

Side question: do you pay maintenance on roads you built outside your territory? Can't see why you would
Yes you do. If the neutral territory later on fells into other civ borders, then he'll pay the maintenance.

I'm in a new game and budapest wants me to connect a road to it 13 spaces away. I'm thinking there's no way it's worth it, but am i wrong? Thanks.

You only have to build it to his borders, the rest of the road CS will build.

No good, CS-nearer city spot around to grab and build the road from there? That wouldn't make the road cheaper (as you still have to connect the new city to your trade-network), but raise the income of the trade route.

Yes you do. If the neutral territory later on fells into other civ borders, then he'll pay the maintenance.

That allows us to introduce some new tactics: the worker-rush.

Get open borders, get in and build a road until he's bankrupt. :)

PS.: It's a pity, that this probably won't work, as you can't build outside your territory.

Really depends on how badly you want the CS as an ally.

You will not pay maintenance on the road in neutral territory. By the time it falls in your terriotory you will have had the benefit for the road with the CS and can take down the road.

But, I would look and see where you might want cities along the way and make sure the road goes somewhere useful to you eventually. Then, by the time the road is in your territory, you will be using it to connect to your own cities.

Yes, you DO pay road maintenance you build in neutral territory. OTOH, once you connect to the CS you get the influence bonus and then you can dismantle the roads you built that you no longer want to save on maintenance.

Do It!! :mischief:

It'll just sit around as something they want until it's done. I tend to dump a city in that size gap anyway, so later on it's no longer 13 tiles of emptiness, but possibly none, just the 3-5 from my primary road.

uh, stupid me - I forgot how to dump a city and nothing i try seems to work, can you explain the mechanics for me - and please use Dismantling a city for idiots language, thanks.:crazyeye:

uh, stupid me - I forgot how to dump a city and nothing i try seems to work, can you explain the mechanics for me - and please use Dismantling a city for idiots language, thanks.:crazyeye:

By 'dumping' I think he means 'building' i/e if there are that many neutral hexes, there is ample place to build a new city. Accomplish this by pressing 'B' when aq settler is selected.

Slightly off-topic, but I've had a few games where I was told I completed the road mission even though I didn't have a single road anywhere near that CS. Took me a while before I realized that the CS must've gotten around to building a harbor.

Top Bottom