Conquest 06: First Spoiler

horragoth said:

I have not my notes after 1000 BC at hand, so briefly. I have started building Lighthouse in Lisbon to trigger GA, perform intensive sea exploration by Curraghs an two more Galleys. Taking slight risk and losing one Curragh I contacted all civs by the time I reached MT or slightly after. It allowed me to trade for Math, Construction, Polytheism. MT was reached between 500 and 400 BC (475 BC IIRC). My Barracks cities were busy producing a Vet. spearman per city and some more. As the Spanish claimed the near Horses resource and the only Iron, my expansion was directed to eastern shore where I claimed horses and started building horde of horsemen about the same time as I reached MT.

May be MA instead MT?

Capt Buttkick said:
:lol: Nice saying, solen :thumbsup:
Although I'll never be able to finish a game in under 10 hours myself :(

In my case, COTM6 is likely to become the longest GOTM I ever played in terms of days and hours. Too much destruction from RL combined with a wrong focus in the game itself. But I hope that, at least, I will finish it in time.

Open, fixed barbs

Having had the luck of claiming the cow last month, I had to switch targets. :)
Since I'm using the Classic games for fastest Space attempts, and UN and Space victories are very alike, I decided to try for a 100k victory.

My basic plan was to get as many cities up as possible and rush temples and libraries everywhere. I'll try to keep the expansion speed in sync with my ability to rush things.

I got Bronze Working, Ceremonial Burial and 25g from the huts.

I managed to get eastern Horses and used Horsemen to claim the eastern Ivory after a short war. I managed to build the Temple of Zeus before Spain did. [dance]

Meanwhile I was having appalling luck with the Curraghs and although I saw tantalizing borders my boats always sank before I could make contact. :( My choice NOT to build the Great Lighthouse was proving expensive. I wanted my GA to start after I was able to build Cathedrals and Uni's, but each time another of the boats sank I was regretting it more.

The Middle Ages will prove whether it was worth it... in 1000BC I had 8 cities, was making 2 culture per turn and had only contact with Spain.

When I finally met the other civs I kept the tech pace low by not trading too much. I entered the MA in the AD's.

Attachments

• BeginMA.JPG
    BeginMA.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 284
Well this is my first game of Civ in over a year and a half so please give me all the advice possible.

I started out by making Lisbon a settler factor and founded cities within a tight distance of the capital. I am not sure how so many of you were able to claim so much land that the Spainards had claimed in my game.

I used my curragh to explore our continent, then I sent it across the sea and it made it! All 4 turns!

I was able to make contact with 4 other civs in total, but later realized that I was missing two, but my curragh sank when I ventured to the small island where I saw two of their cities. Knowing all the other civs helped me stay in the tech game. Most of the time I am always lagging behind the other civs. I am purposely keeping spain a good distance behind me in the tech race.

Once the whole island was occupied, I began to build an army for my assault. Group 1 was to take out Toledo. Which was a succes.
Group 2 was to take out Valladolid. Which was a succes.
Group 3 was to fortify on the mountain and be a magnet for enemy troops. Success.
Group 4 which I forgot to number on the map was to take out Sanander. Succes.

I also put the picture of the map and score after the little war.
How far back am I? Where Should I be at this point? Any tips on gameplay or anything would be appreciated.

Moderator Action: Cropped your piccies a bit, as they showed information beyond this spoiler. You might want to repost the others in the second spoiler thread. :)

Attachments

• cotm6(2).jpg
    cotm6(2).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 102
  • cotm6(3).JPG
    cotm6(3).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 90
@goonie -> looks like a real bareknuckled fight there, but those pics have some serious spoiler info in them i suggest you remove the pics from the MA and modifiy the others so people cannot see:
1. minimap with landmasses other than the starting 1 (see ainwoods 1st post on this thread)
2. suicide galley successes/failures.

sorry to be the party pooper, but other people may not like seeing all that info. :) I didn't get spoiled as i've already submitted but please remove so others can avoid getting info they don't want.

as far as your game goes, why don't you place a pic just before/when you entered the MA (not after) for discussion?

also, if you want to compare progress with others, you may want to post time info (ie, discovered tec x @ 1550BC, empire stats @ 1000BC (pop, cities, units, buildings), date entering the MA + your empire stats. You can also list the # of civ's met, but i'd suggest you refrain naming anyone other than Spain atm.

edit: mod's beat me :)

Doesn't matter.

I am giving up. I got ransacked.

After numerous attempts Mursilis had finally reached Alpha Centauri and as a reward for accomplishing that seemingly never-ending task, he was rewarded with a new title, Director of Planetary Colonization. His first assignment was to pick a leader of a new colony team that was due to leave the next morning. He stared at the thirty choices, from Alexander to Xerxes available to select from (of course he could also select himself), and he randomly selected a folder from the middle of the stack. Prince Henry of the Portuguese was his choice, a quick scan of Henry’s strengths showed that while Henry was an excellent explorer, he was quite weak in building and warring. “It’s good thing this planet won’t need a high powered builder or a military genius. The other colony leaders all seem to be a bit on the slow side, so maybe this is a good chance for Henry to learn on the fly.” Mursilis thought.

Henry was elated at the chance to lead a colony. He grabbed his bags and headed for the spaceport after saying goodbye to the others. He’d heard Catherine was going to get an assignment soon, so he made sure to wish her best of luck.

As he open the door of the landing pod, the smell of salt air was all around. He noticed the grapes to the north and thought a nice glass of port would do wonders to take away the chill from the night fog. “Let’s settle here, we’ve got fresh water, wines and the ocean to supply us with food” Henry ordered to the colonists, he turned to the scout and ordered him eastward and set the worker to irrigating the wines to improve the food production. “We’ll need to be able to record the history of this land, so let’s learn how to write,” he ordered to the lone thinker of the colony.

Lewis had been traveling for months with his only reward for his troubles, the knowledge of how to burial people, when he spotted a man building a road. “So we’ve got a neighbor,” he said. The Spanish it turned out, weren’t very excited about meeting anyone else and sent him away with nothing to show for his toils.

Drake pushed away from the coast near Lisbon heading south with orders from Henry to make new friends. After passing Spain and turning north up the coast, Drake waved to Lewis and headed east into the open sea.

Lewis was glad to see a friendly face as he waved to Drake and headed north up the coast heading for a small village Drake mentioned. He was elated when the village volunteered to pack up and follow him back to Portugal. Along the way another small tribe taught him to use a bow and arrow. Lewis would wander the balance of the island without any new discoveries and would eventually return to Oporto and be trained as an archer.

Drake harrowing trip east over the open ocean had come to a positive conclusion as he reached the shore of a new island. As he sailed it’s northern shore he came across a new tribe, the Koreans and was pleasantly surprised at the deals he was able to make. Soon the knowledge of The Wheel and Iron Working were acquired and using them Henry was able to trade for Masonry & Bronze Working with Spain. To Henry’s dismay, Spain had managed to claim the only known horse & iron supplies on the island.

As Drake continued to circle this new island he met the Arabs and this allowed Henry to acquire Mathematics & Mysticism in trade from his new neighbors.

With the discovery of the Code of Laws & Philosophy, with it’s bonus of Republic, Henry christened the Republic of Portugal in 1500 BC. A couple of trades later and Henry had acquired Map Making from Korea, Horseback Riding from Spain and Polytheism from Arabia. When England was contacted in 1000 BC, the Portuguese Republic had five cities (and four settlers in route) and was the world leader in land, wealth and knowledge.

Henry could only laugh when the Korean Ambassador declared war after he declined to give away the knowledge of Philosophy. “How do you intend to fight a war when your ships cannot reach us?” he asked the stunned envoy. This phony war would last over six hundred years without a single battle, before coming to a quiet end.

With the completion of a trade with England for Construction in 690 BC, Henry’s people were the first to enter the Middle Ages. Sixty years later, the Drake would meet the Mayans and Henry would now have contacts with all the tribes of the planet.

As Henry looked to the future, few things became obvious, Spain would have to be absorbed and the nation of Portugal would need to expand to other islands. The lands of the backward Arab & Korean peoples seemed the most likely sources of new luxuries and resources. He had recognized that as slow as he had been in researching new technologies, the rest of the worlds had been slower. During the middle ages he would need to cement this technology lead and increase his infrastructure and production capabilities. Those improvements would soon translate into increased military might and overseas conquests, but that is for the next chapter of this adventure.

Editors Note: I'm hoping to be able to complete this one before the month ends. It looks like I'll be doing most of my own research and am planning for a space ship victory. I'm shooting for a launch before 1850 AD.

:C3C: COTM06 Open – Noaipatrol added

QSC write up
4000 BC Worker N, Scout SE-S, decide to move Settler NE because of 1 BG more (actually 2 it turned out). Research: The Wheel at full speed for my Cavalry than go fort he Philosophy slingshot. Build sequence: 1 scout, granary. Than settlers & curragh. We don’t have a Pangea map so based on last COTM I’ll only build one scout for hut popping.
3950 Start on The Wheel (22t)
3650 Meet Spain (they have CB). 2nd Scout build.
3600 Ivory spotted next to Spanish city
3550 City is Madrid
3400 More Ivory spotted NE of Madrid
3350 Trade with Spain CB for Pottery + 9 gold
3300 Scout 1 pops settler from hut
3100 Settler moving closer to home spots Silk. Scout 2 spots wine. Spain founds Barcelona.
2950 Oporto founded on Silks.
2900 Research Wheel. Trade with Spain for WC + 19 gold. Scout 2 Pops Mysticism from hut. Trade Mysticism for BW. Start on Masonry (11t) as scout 1 is close to hut. Horses are in between Spain and us. My 1st Settler will try to claim them.
2850 Scout 1 pops HBR from hut. Start on Writing (22t). Reached NE corner of our landmass, Looks we’re alone with Spain on an island.
2630 1st Settler, to horses
2550 Wine connected
2390 Spain founds Sevilla on Ivory.
2390 2nd Setller founds Guimaraes.
2310 1st Settler meets spanish settler close to horses. But I’m 1st!!!
2270 Lagos founded on coast next to horses. Spain has IW.
2110 Writing researched. Start CoL (17t)
1950 Start Suicide run 1
1910 The spanish horse-settler founds Santiago on hill S of Lisbon. Spain starts on Oracle.
1870 Spain has HBR (for what? gna-gna)
1830 Curragh 1 reaches new land, and spots a blue border
1790 Spain demands and I refuse, WARRR. We meet Civ 1.
1725 Trade with Civ 2 HBR for IW + 37 gold
1675 Destroy 3 Spanish warriors and Santiago for a loss of 1 warrior. After these 1st and final battles Spain accepts peace and gives me Barcelona and Toledo !!!????? Tx, for declaring me war!
1650 Spain has Masonry
1625 Meet Civ 3
1550 Trade IW for Masonry with Civ 3
1525 Another curragh reaches new land.
1475 Research Philosophy – Republic and start on Constr (20t) after trading with Civ 3 for Math + 40 gold for Writing. Meet Civ4. Start revolution: 3 turns. Gift Civ 2 and Civ 3 to republic for 40 gold. They will become my research partners (I hope).
1400 We’re a republic.
1275 Meet Civ 5
1200 Silks connected
1125 Trade with Spain Polytheism for Writing
1100 Research Constr, start Currency (10t).
1075 Civ 2 has Mapmaking. Meet Civ 6. Trade HBR for 20 gold with them.
1025 Horses connected
1000 Spot red border – the missing Civ 7. Trade for Mapmaking
900 Research Currency and reach the Middle Ages.

QSC Results
13 Cities – 33 Pop
All AA techs except Monarchy, Literature & Currency (4t)
1 settler, 11 workers, 2 scouts, 6 warriors, 1 archer, 3 spearmen, 2 curraghs
All contacts
Horses, wine and silks connected.
3 Granaries, 1 Temple.
Cultural Value:136
Score: 271 1st, Arabia 2nd
Gold: 0

Next Steps:
I probably will not finish this month (time). So I guess Conquest is my quickest option to give it a try.
I intend to:
-Take Madrid and iron as soon as they have the SoZ
-Build GL for GA
-Have Emerita (my shields city) finish MoM and than start on usefull wonders and military.

Note for WackenOpenAir:
Yes I popped settler, but managed to get 26 pop out of my core.
How: I shared the irrigated wine between 2 cities and as soon as I had republic I used two irrigated wines together with irrigated grass to have 2 cities growing pop every 2 turns, one being a 4-turn settler factory.

(with 'fixed' barbs, not that you'd know it!)

Goal: quick 20K victory.

Starting position wasn't incredibly exciting. Scout revealed an extra BG up the river (to the NE), so I moved the Settler one space NE (staying coastal and on the river) and founded Lisbon. Research Goal was to march up to the Republic slingshot, and revolt at earliest opportunity.

My scout headed East, and crossed a fairly large continent, so I knew there was a good amount of space available. I didn't get a Settler, but I did get a Tribe that wanted to join me. Turned out Oporto was in a very opportune location, as it gave me Ivory access and a port location very early on: (Picture is from several turns after the GH was popped)

The early 2nd city also allowed me to build a few more units: Lisbon built 2 Curraughs, then a Worker, a Warrior, a Settler, then a Granary (finished in 2030). Guimaraes was founded in 2430 BC, up the coast on the NW river, and became my 20K city. This was an awkward location: at distance 6, it ended up being the 2nd closest city, but it has 5 BGs, a Hill space with Gold, is coastal and on a river. The capital has 3 BGS, 2 Hills, and some Mountain spaces, so it will take a few Worker turns to get up to speed.

I learned Philosophy (and Republic) in 1550 BC, revolted, and got a very few and very far between ONE turn of Anarchy!

My QSC stats were far from impressive: 5 total cities, 15 total citizens! Guimaraes has finished its Temple (1700 BC) and is one turn away from finishing the Colossus (975 BC). This kicks off a GA of course; with 2 turns to go I was denied building the MoM; at this time I rushed Harbors in Oporto and Lisbon, got Ivory connected and finished Statue of Zeus (750 BC), then the Hanging Gardens (410 BC). A Library is rushed in 390 BC, and the Great Library completed in 110 AD.

By the end of the Ancient Age I had made all contacts with my not-so-suicidal Curraghs and Galleys (well, one actually made it back!), and had engaged in a divide and conquer policy - I tried to keep each foreign civ at war with at least one other civ most of the times. And I'd become very stingy with my techs and with trading for their Techs. This became my permanent policy once the Great Library was completed; these foreign civs are centuries away from being able to attack me, and they'll fail once they make it over, and my keeping them at war denies them many trading opportunities at the least. All of this gives me more time to build Wonders.

Spain is a different situation. I build my cities in a line across the continent, and hook up Oporto and the Horses in the NE corner (using quite a few units to block off Spanish settlers). I build up my Horsemen, and gather quite a few Ancient Cav from the SoZ, then declare on Spain. This is right at the end of the Ancient Age; I hope to got some Leaders, form an Army to get Heroic Epic activated, then use Spain as more GL Fodder, but that is for the MidAges (entered in 150 AD, when the GLib gives me the missing Techs I needed.)

I've noticed the very good 20K game that A'AbarachAbadan has going on; we match in Temple and Library, along with Great Library, Colossus and Statue of Zeus, but I have only the Hanging Gardens vs Oracle and Mausoleum of Mausollus, and my dates are a bit later as well (to be expected, using a non-capital city.) I've got a bit of a hill to climb to catch up :) .

OPEN - NoAIPatrol=0

Here is my long delayed AA post. I reach 1000BC on Nov 2 and MA by Nov 4. By Nov 7, RL and dissatisfaction with my position lead to a 2 week layoff that I finally ended today. Still plenty of time to finish and start GOTM37.

Ancient Age

Settled in place. Builds were Scout, Curragh, Curragh, Warrior, Settler, Worker, Granary.

Edit: GH report: 25g, Map, WC.

1000BC Cities=5; Pop=11; Settler=1, Worker=5; reg Warrior=3; Vet Archer=3; reg Curragh=1; Barracks=2; Granary=1; Gold=190; techs: tier 1, IW, Math, WRT, Myst, Phil, CoL, MM, Republic (Need Poly, HBR, Lit, Const, Curr, Monarchy) I actually submit this pathetic start as my first (and probably last) QSC entry.

Built FP in Oppro. Contact with 5 civs before 1000BC. One of inital Curragh surviving open ocean to make contact. Rest not contacted until MA.

Did Republic slingshot and changed to republic. Needed to build a lot of archers to get horse and iron. Built up six archers near southern horse.

MA with currency in 410BC.

I later chickened out when I realized Spain had gotten SoZ. Six didn't seem like enough to hold against AC and Swords, so I would go for the other horse first. I am currently still playing in the MA but I just finished kicking Spain off the continent.

@dvandenberg: It looks to me as if you are playing with some strange resource graphics files, unless you've succeeded in finding a way to create pollution in the Ancient Era. Or is that something special in C3C?

AlanH said:
@dvandenberg: It looks to me as if you are playing with some strange resource graphics files, unless you've succeeded in finding a way to create pollution in the Ancient Era. Or is that something special in C3C?
volcano ;)

Ahah! Thanks for enlightening a deprived Mac player ;)

PREDATOR

Goal: Space

I founded Lisbon on the spot, as promised. The Scout went more or less counter-clockwise which meant that the Silks in the center remained under the fog until 1700 BC ... not that it mattered, because we did not get that free Settler. The Silks got hooked up in 1000 BC; Spain never showed any interest.

The Portuguese delayed research until first contact, which allowed us to trade for two Spanish slaves. And to skip building an early second Worker.

TOWNS

Lisbon
There was no +5 food until Republic, so we built Settlers before the Granary. Lisbon never became a Settler factory though, because we built wonders instead.
4000BC Founded
3250BC Settler
2750BC Settler (first Slave had joined)
2430BC Settler (second Slave had joined)
1750BC Granary (just before growing to size 4)
1700BC Worker (avoiding unhappiness during Anarchy)
1575BC Harbor
1075BC The Colossus (starting the Golden Age of Portugal; size 12 next turn)
1000BC ... Building the Pyramids, due in 750BC

Oporto
Oporto grew to +5 food in Republic (we irrigated all bonus grasslands) and became a Settler factory before starting on a Hanging Gardens prebuild.
3200BC Founded 3 tiles north of Lisbon on the river (not on the coast)
2950BC Warrior (later to pop the far NE hut for a worthless town, and the small island hut for Construction)
2710BC Worker
2510BC Warrior
2310BC Worker
1500BC Granary
1350BC Settler
1200BC Settler
1100BC Settler
1000BC ... Building the Temple of Artemis, at size 7

Guimarães
The port city. Both ships made it across to new land. :)
2710BC Founded 3 tiles south of Lisbon, at the Sugar and on the coast.
2390BC Curragh
2190BC Worker
1625BC Galley
1475BC Harbor
1275BC Settler
1100BC Settler
1025BC Settler (reduced to size 2)

Lagos
Lagos became the first stop on the Silk Route.
2350BC Founded 1.5 north, 2.5 east of Lisbon. Not a very fertile spot, but in a tactical place.
2150BC Warrior
1950BC Worker
1450BC Settler

Sagres
We popped the NE hut in the hope to get Construction or Currency, but got a size 4 town instead. Two turns later it had shrunk to size 2. We rushed a Galley to transport our Warrior to the small island when the returning Curragh spotted a hut there.
1250BC Popped
1200BC Harbor (rushed)
1075BC Galley (rushed)

Coimbra
Coimbra was settled among the Silks, with cattle and wheat in range. The best spot on the continent, and we found it late! :mad:
1225BC Founded
1175BC Library (rushed, one forest cut)
1075BC Granary (rushed, one forest cut)
1000BC ... about to rush a Courthouse at size 3, and then start on the Forbidden Palace

Remaining towns
1425BC Emerita (1175BC Worker)
1175BC Leira
1150BC Évora
1025BC Braga
1000BC Faro
1000BC Rio Janeiro

CONTACTS
We found all the other tribes during the AA. They had better starting positions than Portugal, and in 1000BC we were not in the lead ...

TECHNOLOGY
We stopped researching after Literature as there were urgent builds to rush, and I felt we could rely on the AI as several of them were doing very well.
2590BC Writing; Bronze Working and Ceremonial Burial (both Spain)
1910BC Code of Laws
1830BC Masonry, Warrior Code and Mysticism (all civ2)
1675BC Philosophy; The Republic (slingshot)
1650BC Map Making (Spain)
1550BC Iron Working and The Wheel (both civ3)
1400BC Literature; Horseback Riding (Spain), Mathematics (civ2)
1175BC Polytheism (civ3)
1050BC Construction (hut), Currency civ4)
1000BC Engineering (civ4), Monotheism (civ5)

QSC
12 towns (2 larger than 6), 35 pop (all happy), 154 tiles
palace, 3 granaries, 3 harbors, 1 library, Colossus
7 Workers, 1 Scout, 1 Warrior, 2 Galleys (1 vet), 1 Curragh
all AA techs except Monarchy; Monotheism, Engineering
319 gold, 126 food, 245shields
Scores: 270, Portugal 241, 218, Spain 211, 211, 178, 165, 152

Predator class.

Just finished playing to Middle Ages. Did not keep timeline but have 1000BC save. the MapStat shows the QSC score 9015. Is it good or bad? And what is this score anyhow? I'm using version 2.8.0, probably the latest one. And did not get setlers or towns but finally got a settler factory running in Lisbon in Republic after mining hills, irrigating wines, and building harbor around 1100BC. Before this (after revolting to Republic), settler were partially cash-rushed in Lisbon and other cities.

Looks like research is top priority in this map.

akots said:
the MapStat shows the QSC score 9015. Is it good or bad? And what is this score anyhow?
QSC scoring is basically as discussed here It's an attempt to put values on the assets you have developed during the first 80 turns, and is designed as a learning tool more than a competition. Though the local competitive sprit makes it impossible to look at the numbers without ranking them :rolleyes:

I assume you have visited the QSC results page?

Yes, I visited the page and tried to understand the data which is not an easy thing. Actually, MapStat calculates QSC score for each turn and to know the "true QSC score", the save of 1000BC should be opened. And at that save, my QSC score is 3845 - 7 cities, 16 pop. The other QSC score in the above post is the QSC score at that particular point in the game when I posted. Which is a bit confusing since >9000 score is ridicuous and I was very surprized at this number.

I don't think you can say whether a score is ridiculous or not - 10,000 is not a magic number in QSC in the way that it is in Jason, as far as I know. It's just the sum of point scores for cities, units, territory, techs, improvements, population ...

There are scores at 1000 BC at the 10K level in some games, but since the raw score is not normalised to anything, the best you can do will vary considerably according to the map.

Top Bottom