Conquest game: 2

WaterDragoon

Chieftain
Okay so i went solo on my last game, didn't ask for any advice. for which i was beaten badly and i gave up. the byzantines, my long time friends formed and aliiance with the mayans and took 15 cities including my capital....

So, Game two. First time with the Vaunted Ottomans. From what i have learned from this board i think i should take them out first. they have some nice land to my south. If i let them grow I will have to deal with them at some point, right?

Okay so i went solo on my last game, didn't ask for any advice. for which i was beaten badly and i gave up. the byzantines, my long time friends formed and aliiance with the mayans and took 15 cities including my capital....

So, Game two. First time with the Vaunted Ottomans. From what i have learned from this board i think i should take them out first. they have some nice land to my south. If i let them grow I will have to deal with them at some point, right?

You don't mention what level you're playing in either game or the game settings. :) Anyway, it's almost always necessary to knock all the other AI's off whatever land mass you occupy. With them near you, be sure to take them out before they get sipahis. If they have good lands, so much the better. :D

The Ottomans is a great choice to play as, trust me. First off, scout your island or whatever mass you are on, and if you encounter another civilization, try to blockade them from settling near your area. And when you feel you are ready, conquer.

I hink he/she is saying the Ottoman are near by. Ultimately the others will come for, so it is wise to be growing larger and stronger all the time.

This is best done by annexing thier lands, so they grow smaller and weaker.

I attacked in 2000bc with 5 warrior and a couple of archers. took out 2 of 3 cities. I hope that will kep them behind until i can get to them with horses.

The next problem i see is that i have no iron..... the english do in my north...
India does in my east.... {sigh}

Edit**
I have a force of horses and hopilite and i am heading to wipe out the ottos. I fear that i am neglecting my core cities but i think this is something i have to do.

..... i don't have the screenshot programs.

If you have Windows, you have MS Paint. Right-click your map and select copy, open MS Paint, paste the map there, and select "Save as" a .jpg file. You can upload that as an attachment to your post. :)

***Update***

Well after several respawns the ottos have been eliminated. It's now about 10bc I have the english to my north and India to my east. Neither one is very aggressive so i don't have to go to war. Looks like my next war will be later when i get transport and cross the ocean to the other continent. if i am counting right their are five civs over there.

My focus now is infrastructure and clearing jungle. i have some galleries but i doubt they will make the trip without sinking...

I suggest you secure your own continent before invading overseas. By the time YOUR continent is YOURS, you will probably have caravels or galleons to make the trip, though it is well worth it to send a few "suicide" curraghs or galleys for the trading contacts you can get. You then become the tech broker between the two continents and can make a tidy profit.

Good news about eliminating the Ottomans. :goodjob: They make a tough opponent once they get Sipahis.

(about the otto's)

Thanks that is what i figured, so i kept after them until they were gone.

(controling my own continent)

Hmmm, i wonder why you are so quick to say that. India has zero agression so they will never attack me. I could my a MPP and an alliance. As for england, they have low agression and i thought that if i would take a hit rep wise for randomly starting a war...right?

(controling my own continent)

Hmmm, i wonder why you are so quick to say that. India has zero agression so they will never attack me. I could my a MPP and an alliance. As for england, they have low agression and i thought that if i would take a hit rep wise for randomly starting a war...right?

Um, well, there have been a few threads here before about AI agression levels, and many of us find that Ghandi frequently makes sneak attacks when he has ROPs and he very often is the first to use nuclear weapons. I'm not sure if he's actually more sneaky or if it just seems that way because it's so unexpected from him. I hate having him for a neighbor.

Regarding starting random wars... You'd take an attitude hit, but never a rep hit if you declare first. Attitude hits have very little meaning in the game unless you're going for a diplo victory. Rep hits come only from not keeping your word or your end of a bargain. Conducting honorable wars is similar to adhering to the Geneva Conventions in the real world.

Edit: X-posted with Aabraxan.

So, if i am looking at the pros and cons. what cons are there to letting the english and india hang around. ?

I will try my hand at a screen shot to post tonight after a play ...just one more turn (LOL)

@WD, even if you don't post screenies, letting us know what level you're playing on and against how many opponents will get you better feedback. We'd also like to know the map size.

BTW, did i mention that gma likes <can't say this, would get me banned>:crazyeye:

BTW, did i mention that gma likes <can't say this, would get me banned>:crazyeye:

Good grief, AK!!! I can think of a lot of words to fill in that might get you banned, but none of them nice. We've been best buddies like forever. :love: You don't love me anymore? :sad: So, what am I missing? :confused:

Forgot the screenie. will get tonight...

Large continents 60% water on the third difficulty level. now 8 enemies left.

Of my two opponents i have 540 pts and england is next with 216. I think i have a 4 tech lead on them.

***note***
There are only three luxs on the continent so 4 happy faces is all i get. my size 7 capital has 3 happy 1 content and 3 unhappy citizens. so i have halted growth.

How about building temples and using military police? Luxuries aren't the only source of happiness you know.

What are their relative tech level to yours? Do they have iron? Which one is larger? If India has chivalry, the war elephant needs no resource to be built, so if they do, wait til you have a large force. England is usually easier to take, with a sea-based UU, and their traits don't kick in til later. If they have iron or saltpeter, go after their sources of that. It's always better to own your continent, and then you can empty troops from your towns to fight in the wars, especially in a republic or democracy. Just need to guard your shore cities.

Top Bottom