Conquest of the World

Thanks to those who've welcomed me so far :)

In that case, let me add my name to the list. Welcome to CFC[party] :band:

btw-I love this story and will eagerly await the next update.

Part Twenty-Four: Dark Times

1909 - The Inca request a New World alliance.

I decline. The Ottomans can be a bit pesky, but Greece will not turn on its allies.

Spain declared war on the Zulu. The Zulu are already in trouble; having lost both cities they captured from Egypt to the Mongols.

1910 AD - Before the action continues, we have a short break from a Windows error:

Gotta love how technology works. Let's hope the newfangled Greek Cruiser technology is slightly more reliable!

And why not test it out right away? Conveniently enough, an Indian Galleon left harbor just before production of a new Cruiser finished in Rhodes.

:eek: Doesn't look like our new cruiser technology is any more reliable than Windows. We almost got :spear:'ed.

So it's back to privateers on the west of Sumatra.

Yay! Our privateer is more efficient than our cruiser! Rome is also now without a navy.

"Looks like the Aztecs have the same idea we do," said the leader of the invasion force. "Shall we redirect our ships against theirs?"

"Of course. If we perform as pitifully as we did in the Arabian Sea, I'll just have to cut the scientists' funding," replied the King.

Fortunately that was not to be the case. The first Cruiser was only slightly damaged, and achieved Elite standing as a result of the battle. The second easily sunk the galley, and with it - what do you know - the last of the Aztec Jaguar Warriors from Tenochtitlan. The ships then assembled just outside of Greek waters to begin the long journey to the New World.

The Medieval Infantry succeed at retaking Konigsberg! Arabia is once again all Greek. Granted, we do still have 5 full-health Celtic invaders near Halicarnassus to deal with.

Four Infantry and four Artillery are sent to deal with that problem. Ought to be more than sufficient. And, if we need to get them back quickly, we have enough workers for an instant railroad.

^Why we might need them back near India.

1911 AD - We get a rather blunt warning from the Byzantines after some of our medieval infantry (whom Theodora referred to as "barbaric") entered Byzantine lands to destroy a Roman pikeman:

Oh no! The Celts got tricky, pulled back their Cavalry, and attacked Hamburg instead of Halicarnassus!

They also start an attempt to take Konigsberg with a Cavalry charge, and take the six workers I'd been using to build railroads to Berlin. Fortunately they are not disbanded.

Last edited:
(continued)

1912 AD - First India was unhappy due to our war with India, now Southeast Asia is unhappy due to our war with Portugal! Aargh!

America re-enters the war!

Combat continues near Halicarnassus.

We kill the two most injured units, and reclaim the lost workers near Berlin. Hamburg will have to wait - we're just too low on troops in Asia. To help with that, we direct 7 Galleys, 3 Galleons, and a Caravel from the Bay of Bengal to Australia to expedite troop transfers.

1913 AD - Some Persian ships pass through the Strait of Madagascar near the Zulu city of Ulundi. Not sure where they're going.

It's the Aztecs' doing again! The Inca are now fighting a two-front war, Japan to the south and the Ottomans to the north. Sure, this punishes one of the Aztecs' enemies, but it also results in them facing more of the Ottomans' wrath.

Hmm...maybe I ought to move that galley I've had by Madagascar for several centuries. At least the Mongols have a pretty good handle on the Zulu. Might be time to make friends with them?

China also allied with the Celts this turn, but against the Ottomans. If you've lost track of all the wars, you're not alone. I don't think anyone except my foreign advisor knows them all.

Aargh! More cavalry! Unfortunately my Hoplites did not live up to expectations (they did have a 125% bonus), and the city was lost. The Celts are a tough opponent, that's for sure.

1914 AD - "Excellent," replied the military advisor upon the scientific news. "Now we'll be able to conquer, from the halls of Montezuma..."

"...to the shores of Tripoli..."

"...and everywhere in between." That's right, we have Amphibious War and Marines. No more India annoying us from their 1x1 island.

Slight error in artillery bombardment this turn. With the Greek and Celtic colours being so similar we accidentally targeted the wrong square and created some nice craters in the desert.

Troops move towards Karachi to retake it quickly, and Marines become the new main military production unit. Research begins on Flight. The Greek New World Expeditionary Force nears Hawaii.

1915 AD -

I accept. They're easy prey, but we have enough prey right now. Besides, it'll make Southeast Asia happier.

Oh, and it looks like Xerxes could benefit from learning what the definition of "paltry" is:

"Paltry" is most certainly NOT a very expensive technology I have a monopoly on! I offer him a dictionary instead.

Guess he didn't like the dictionary. Persia proceeds to send 21 troops toward Halicarnassus. Good thing we have Marines.

Last edited:
I reccomend that you spend 10 minutes with the Foreign Advisor to learn the wars. :D And you know who YOU'RE at war with, right? Last time I checked, it was:

Rome
Celts
Hittites
Zulu, soon to be pwned by Mongols
India, soon to be pwned by you
Aztecs
Persia

^Seconded.

Very confusing wars. Agression on?

Very nice updates

*whacks self on head* ow. Reading multiple stories simultaneously is NOT a good idea. It took me about half of your update to remember your current situation. Anyway, good luck destroying everybody. And kill the Indians right away. They're getting annoying.

choxorn said:
I reccomend that you spend 10 minutes with the Foreign Advisor to learn the wars. And you know who YOU'RE at war with, right? Last time I checked, it was:

Rome
Celts
Hittites
Zulu, soon to be pwned by Mongols
India, soon to be pwned by you
Aztecs
Persia

Not a bad idea. At least I'll know who all I'm at war at; can't know everyone because of all my wars (and I'm still minus two or three embassies). Your list seems accurate to my memory, although I don't remember the war with the Hittites. They're all the way in Brazil might be why. Oh well, I'll check.

dutchking said:
Go mac man....trust me... :goodjob:

Pretty sure it wouldn't help with this game. I don't think Mac and Windows Civ are interchangeable. Even if they were, I'd have to re-buy Civ (it was nice when games like Oregon Trail II came with both Windows and Mac on the same disc). I've pretty much already settled on a computer, though...and Macs were just too much more expensive to justify the cost. If money were no object, I would get a MacBookPro (but still install XP as well - way too much software and programs I've created for Windows only).

And on the good side, neither Windows nor Civ crashed upon getting the error. It's really not that bad anymore.

j_eps said:
Very confusing wars. Agression on?

Agreed, very confusing wars. But aggression is at the regular levels. Apparently the AI's are just making up for their relative peacefulness before 1800. Doesn't help that the Aztecs are funding wars like crazy. And I even quit including all the new war declarations in the story. Here's the part of the 1915 AD section I decided to leave off for a better ending:

More war. Yay. Not really. But this ought to be beneficial for England overall, with the Byzantines already giving the Vikings some tough lessons on the art of war. Five or six other wars start this turn, and two peace treaties are signed, the only significant one being between Mongolia and Zululand.

So the Zulu are no longer going to be pwned by the Mongols. Surprised me, too. But they did lose their city of Ulundi on the mainland side of the Strait of Madagascar.

Yui108 said:
Very nice updates

Thank you.

Tasslehoff said:
*whacks self on head* ow. Reading multiple stories simultaneously is NOT a good idea. It took me about half of your update to remember your current situation. Anyway, good luck destroying everybody. And kill the Indians right away. They're getting annoying.

Yeah, it can get confusing. I'm only reading a few others - I plan to read Yui108's at some time, and got a start on choxorn's about a week ago - still nowhere near up-to-date on that one. Rise of the Moraie is another I'm reading, and every so often I check One More Turn Theatre for updates. Adding any Civ4 stories would just be too much.

I didn't do the recap at the beginning like I have at times in the past. Not sure exactly why; guess I didn't think of it. I'll try to remember it in the future whenever it's been a few days since an update.

India will not be around much longer. They are, as choxorn said, soon to be pwned by me.

Last edited:
Awesome! If your gonna read mine you should get to it right at the part where I get Ancient Cavalry and Riders lol

It's especially easy to check your own wars, as you can just hit the Diplomacy button in the bottom-right corner.

Marines got a slight upgrade in C3C to change them from 8/6/1 to 12/6/1. Just to point out...

Part Twenty-Five: Forming Alliances

1916 AD - First task: seeing if I can get allies. The Byzantines won't agree to a Mutual Protection Pact. I'm not surprised. I wouldn't if I were in their position, either.

However, Theodora does agree to this astounding deal:

I bet that news got some attention abroad!

Even better, we convince the Mongols to agree to the same deal by paying them 60 gold instead of 40! At last we have powerful allies at home. Temujin also convinces us to agree to help him:

Montezuma ought to have a hard time sleeping for a few nights now - and he doesn't even know about my Expeditionary Force yet! Xerxes also ought to be worried - the Byzantines might not've been enough to stop him, but combined with the Mongols he's in for some serious trouble. And to think my advisor originally said they'd never agree to Right of Passage and a war!

China shouldn't be much of a concern. They are only in the Middle Ages and were already furious with us. They don't border me, either, so I'll only fight them if I do well against Persia.

And then it's time for another, this time quite enthusiastic, ally to join our coalition:

What's best is that Babylon's only involved in one of those wars!

He would've agreed to be allies in my other wars with the Hittites, Indians, and Zulu if I'd wanted, but I didn't want to have a 20-turn alliance on every war I was in.

Returning some help to allies, I export Horses and Iron to the Ottomans now that they no longer have a trade embargo against me. The Greek situation is still tenuous, but with all these allies it is looking a whole lot better.

Last edited:
Yeah. Hammurabi referred to us as barbaric when I started negotiations, as well, but the offer was good enough that we ignored the slight insult...better to have another ally than another enemy, after all.

Great update. glad its looking up. and I do remember the upgrade that marines had in C3C, i was just asking if they Quintillus had made them even better, like increasing defense stats, etc.

What a crazy world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the following losers are already gone:

Arabia
Dutch
France
Iroqouis
Egypt
Carthage
Germany

The following are on the brink of being on this list:

India
China
OCC Russia
Portugal

Hey, could we see the world map?

one thing... I've only read the first 5 pages of the thread, but everyone seemed to be talking about your terrible starting location, but I don't think it was that bad. I've had worse ones... in 1 Conquests game, I settled a small continent with 8 cities. The continent had virtually no resources, it had no luxuries and no strategic resources, just wheat, fish, and cattle, and few enough of those. I only managed to get back in control of things when I got Replaceable Parts before a neighbour on another continent did and I quickly spammed guerillas and overpowered his weak army of pikemen and knights (he had 2 iron, a coal, and 2 oil if I remember right)...
so next time think before you say you had a bad starting spot ;)

Anyhow... I think you did pretty well considering you started out on a godforsaken rock to rise to #1 on Regent level (I play Chieftain, and Warlord if I want a challenge... :( )

"From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli."
Don't make me cry man...(I'm not in the marines, I'm just like the song, it makes me glad I'm american idk)

Top Bottom