Conquest of the World

Well I have read through your story over the past 4 days and I must congratulate you both for great originality and fighting a heck of a game. The posts have been excellent with a nice mix of witty narrative and a very too the point and interesting civ-read. I especially like your choice of starting spot with the forced island hopping. Enjoy your civ-break, I know how you feel sometimes.

Will you be getting this new computer before you come back to us with new posts?

I just started a game yesterday similar to yours, I started in Austrailia as the Dutch, had a war with Scandinavia, etc. I'm the orange:

The way my borders are right now it reminded me of this story...(click on it for a bit of a larger view)

Cool! I might also try it after I finish my story.

Cool! I might also try it after I finish my story.

Yeah, it's pretty fun the Earth map...if you want to make it really fun try to start in Oceania. It's fun. I thought it would be hard but its more fun then hard...:goodjob:

choxorn said:
They would be far below 8th on the list, my friend.

Yeah, me too! But alas, the lists in Civ only go down to 8. If they went all the way down, they'd be the last.

choxorn said:
Does this mean no updates for a month?

One more update coming, as I've already played enough of the game for one more update. I'd planned to post it on the 27th but haven't yet...got a little burned out. After that update, I'm not sure how long it'll be until the next update. Probably not a full month, but it might be. Here's estimates: before end of September: 100%. before end of August: 95%. before end of July: 60%. before Bastille Day (July 14): 30%.

dutchking said:
let the guy relax for a few minutes, it'll put him back on his game

Thanks; that's what I'm hoping. Like I said above, I'm a bit burned out, but the break ought to help.

dutchking said:
I think this is a really good story and it's worth the wait for another update.

Thanks! I'll try to make sure it is worth the wait!

502nd PIR said:
Yeah. i'd say hes eanred it. enjoy the break man
dutchking said:
Definately, no doubt. Enjoy your summer Quintuillus...

Thanks! Same to everyone else who has read along!

AskReeves15 said:
Will you be getting this new computer before you come back to us with new posts?

After the next update, probably yes. I've already got the exact configuration I want saved on my computer, and will order it once my dad gives final approval. That probably means one more trip to the store, and ordering early next week. Estimated arrival is July 18-20th. I increased the processor speed specifically to increase Civ3's speed - but pretty much everything else was maxed out, too. Still a really good deal, though. And since I anticipate dutchking asking, no, it's not a Mac. But performance wise, it is equal or better than the $1999 MacBookPro in everything except the wireless card for several hundred less, so I'm confident it is a better deal.

Of course, there is the possibility I'll get Civ-withdrawl before that, and I'll play another few turns on my current rig - but I might also play a game on a slightly smaller map, so even there might not be any new updates.

dutchking said:
The way my borders are right now it reminded me of this story...(click on it for a bit of a larger view)

Wow, that's nearly identical!

Just started uploading the pictures from the next update...

Part Twenty-Six: Wars and Setbacks

1917 AD - At this point we've just finished making alliances with the Byzantines, Mongols, and Babylonians to help in our wars at home and abroad. Whether it will help we are about to find out.

And the alliances become more intricate...

Looks like the Hittites are committed to their side. But the Byzantines aren't struggling now. They just took the Scandinavian city of Stockholm in the Gobi Desert and are one city from the Pacific.

Soon thereafter India declares war on Mongolia, but that's nothing compared to the next declaration:

Dunno where the basis for this one is, but I'm not complaining! Maybe they just wanted to jump on the bandwagon!

Looks like somebody other than Babylon (see 1916) is war-happy...

Or maybe Mongolia attacked someone with mutual protection pacts...

Thanks to some Aztec persuasion, we now have a great schism between the Eastern and Western Roman Empires...

And then South America breaks down some more...

Do you think the Aztecs are peaceful?

Well, regardless, we aren't agreeing to peace. Ha, agreeing to peace now would forever ruin our reputation. Eh, either the alliances got to Montezuma, or he heard reports of our Expeditionary Force, or both, but he doesn't seem so resolute anymore, does he?

Some great news lately, but you know, not all of it can be great...

Oops. We still have a few more Hoplites out there than we probably should...looks like that 41 GPT from the Mongol agreement in 1916 will be quite useful.

7th new war this turn (not counting the ones from 1916 - with those it'd be eighteen)...

And one more for good measure...

...my bad, thought that'd be all...

That's all. Really this time, that's all. Well, the Russians and Scandinavians made peace that turn, so we have a net gain of 19 wars. Blimely, we need to train some better diplomats!

1918 AD - We secure alliances with Spain against the Celts and Persians, and convince them to agree to Right of Passage for nine gold per turn. Then we cement a behemoth deal to export vital war supplies to Spain:

Welcome to the Industrial Age, Spain. You'll finally have railroads, factories, and Infantry. Your help is much appreciated.

We also use a Great Scientist, Aristotle, to hurry a Stock Exchange in Paris. Less than an ideal situation, but there aren't any Wonders for awhile and with all these wars we're bound to roll another Military Leader sometime.

We also discover six foreign workers just hanging out on a mountain down by Rotterdam. We immediately have them start cleaning up pollution - not sure why I fortified them after I retreated them from Berlin! Oops!

"Charge!!!" yelled the lieutenant. Marines began rushing towards the city of Karachi. It was the first attack by Marines, and much was hoped for.

And much was to be delivered. Karachi was recaptured without losing any brigades, and just before Celtic reinforcements arrived. The Celts who had so slyly taken Eretria were now trapped.

By Halicarnassus, what had been an ominous situation when the Persians invaded is no longer so dangerous...the Persians turned right around.

Not wasting a second, Greek artillery hammers the already-damaged Persian stack again, soon to be followed by charges of Marines, Guerillas, and Infantry. Other than a rather embarrassing loss of a Conscript Infantry to an Immortal, it mops up quite nicely.

1919 AD -

It's an Aztec-Persian alliance! Greece's two worst enemies have now officially aligned themselves.

Sumeria against America too, huh? Maybe they'll finally expand off Greenland a bit.

In South America, the Inca have taken a hit as their city of Machu Picchu, roughly in Uruguay, falls to Japan. They also are in Anarchy; not looking great for them now. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in South America.

Back in Asia, China still has not lost a city to Mongolia. What's up with not beating a Middle Ages civ, Temujin?

But before we have too much a chance to mull over the Mongols...

Those bloody Celts took Bombay!!!!! They only had that one Cavalry in Eretria!!! Now they've powned the defense of three cities with that Cavalry! The loss of Hoover Dam is significant, but thank goodness they didn't raze it! About the only bright note is that I did have the sense to evacuate my empty Army of Hector from Bombay to some formerly Dutch city in 1918.

Last edited:
Jeeze, how many wars are going on in the whole world??! Like...a billion?! Hehe. This is just a random picture from the Civ III screenshot of the week:
(click for larger view)
Final results of my game: (very similar to yours!)

I'm the Orange. The Netherlands...it was kinda funny because in this story the Netherlands was your worst enemy! Besides the Aztecs perhaps...
I love that map...I'll play it every time now! :lol: I'm currently at war with the Spanish (dark green) trying to expand north a bit more. Anyway, back to your story.

That is quite a war-torn world, Quintillus. Perhaps you could simplify it by conquering Africa. :evil:

BTW, the screenie at the end shows you recapturing Bombay. Was this intentional?

What's your current form of Government? I usually change it from Democracy to Facism during wars...

I think he's in Monarchy, but I'm not sure.

@Dutchking: Nice screenshot of Joan of Arc! Nice expansion in your game...I see that you got a Victory Points victory. I've never actually played with that on in an epic game, always thought it was a bit artificial, although to be fair 2050 in also an artificial restraint. But you're winning in just about every other possible way, as well!

And I noticed Greece is second...I like how that worked out!

I'm estimating each civ has about 5 wars going in in my scenario at this point, so about 80 wars total. Some have a lot more, of course, and then there's Korea, the only civ that does not have a war.

@choxorn: Hmm...looks like it might be time to edit that post. Consider it a sneak-preview of the next section!

Conquering Africa will simplify the wars, of course, but it'll be simplified at least a little bit before I even get started on conquering Africa - India will be conquered very soon.

@dutchking/A Revolutionary: I am in Monarchy. Since I've had wars almost the whole game, I never did switch to Republic or Democracy. The 46-turn Pax Graeca would've been the only chance, and even then I might've had as many as 16 turns of Anarchy, so I didn't bother with it. Fascism...ugh. I already have enough unit support, and the worker rate is adequate as is (pollution is actually falling now), so it's not worth switching and losing production to anarchy and the population loss of fascism.

With all these wars, how many Gls have been generated would you say?

Great story Quintillus! The fifty wars on the earth map make it really interesting. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next update. Enjoy the summer/break!

@Dutchking: Nice screenshot of Joan of Arc! Nice expansion in your game...I see that you got a Victory Points victory. I've never actually played with that on in an epic game, always thought it was a bit artificial, although to be fair 2050 in also an artificial restraint. But you're winning in just about every other possible way, as well!

And I noticed Greece is second...I like how that worked out!

I'm estimating each civ has about 5 wars going in in my scenario at this point, so about 80 wars total. Some have a lot more, of course, and then there's Korea, the only civ that does not have a war.

Wow, That is A LOT of wars...have fun! :lol: Yeah, and Greece is actually pretty good, they cover most of Africa up. In the beginning I was actually going for a conquest or domination, but with my starting location it didn't work out that well...so then I was going for Wonders or Cultural...but my victory points got ahead of them. I was kinda dissapointed but I had all victories turned on.

@dutchking/A Revolutionary: I am in Monarchy. Since I've had wars almost the whole game, I never did switch to Republic or Democracy. The 46-turn Pax Graeca would've been the only chance, and even then I might've had as many as 16 turns of Anarchy, so I didn't bother with it. Fascism...ugh. I already have enough unit support, and the worker rate is adequate as is (pollution is actually falling now), so it's not worth switching and losing production to anarchy and the population loss of fascism.
Ahh, alright...sounds good to me...:goodjob: For me it sucks because I was at war with Scandanavia, just north on the Vietnamese Peninsula&India as a democracy (stupid choice on my part) and the war weariness was insane! Riots everywhere! So it took me 8 turns in anarchy to finish off the Scandanavians (about 1400 AD) Then I went to war with the Spanish a little further on. I switched to Facism to shut everyone up. :lol:

Welcome to CFC, Frozen In Ice! May you join the ranks among people who's first post was in this story (For any who are interested, the others are ManitobaGrower, Guard, and oneperson). :salute:

An update! Yay! Waay too many wars going on...

@choxorn: I believe the last screenie actually shows the celts capturing Bombay from the Greeks, not vice versa.

@Frozen In Ice: :band: [party] Welcome to CFC!!! [party] :band:

@Tasslehoff: It does now, but before Quintillus edited it, it showed Greece recapturing the city.

Thanks Tasslehoff and Choxorn! I've been a lurker for a while now but I just had to post becuase this is a great story. (Also now I can join some forum games)

It does now, but before Quintillus edited it, it showed Greece recapturing the city.

I guess he gave out a limited sneak peak.;)

Top Bottom