Conquest of the World

Leiden, the city he got from the Dutch? That was captured by the Carthaginians, and then by the Inca. It's giving Frankfurt a run for its money!

Indeed, the AI wars haven't been producing very many changes. The Hittites took a couple Japanese cities, too, but no AI has really dominated a war. I had been kind of expecting at least one AI would conquer another and become super-powerful thanks to no corruption, but that never really happened. Perhaps it's a good thing, though!

As to the Maya, they're still quite weak militarily due to the war with the Aztecs. They didn't gain any territory in that war, and remember also that all their Alaskan and much of their Canadian territory is not very valuable. They can only be considered a heavyweight by virtue of not having especially much competition, but I would not consider them heavyweights even then.

America also took heavy losses in the war with the Aztecs, though as can be seen they've reversed their losses and are even making a bit of progress now. Of the two North American civilizations they definitely have the most potential to dominate the continent, but their fascist government hampers them, and their inability to take the Aztec cities bordering their main land area thus far calls into question whether they will become a real power. In particular note the city right below the text "America" on the map - it houses J.S. Bach's Cathedral and has been completely surrounded by America for some time now, yet still has not fallen. You'd think if they really were powerful they'd have taken that city at least by now. The Aztecs cannot be reinforcing it especially well with it isolated like that.

I do have a spy with the Maya, so I can report their strength here shortly. I lack a spy with America, so all I can report for them is technology.

Another problem affecting the Maya, and even Americans to a lesser extent, is that neither is on the forefront of technology. Korea and Spain, and of course Greece, currently lead the way technologically. Of the New World civilizations, however, I believe the Aztecs and Americans lead the way technologically.

Here are the latest reports on the Mayan military:

The Maya have 13 cities, so as the AI always has at least two defenders, that doesn't leave very many extra units. But they do at least have almost all Infantry as defenders.

Technologically, the Maya are limited in their knowledge at this time to The Corporation, Replaceable Parts, and Scientific Method, as well as all the optional techs up to that point in the tech tree.

The Americans have 23 cities and also have the Refining, Steel, and Atomic Theory technologies that the Maya lack. Tlacopan is the name of the city with J.S. Bach's, btw. It's not on a hill, but is still size 10. Even one victory would give America some good help in wearing it down, though.

heh dude iv been reading this story for about 2 weeks now and i finally caught up

but for the first time i have nothing more to read and I WANT MORE :crazyeye:

update as fast as u can!!!!:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: !!!!!!!

Turn length varies. It started out nice and quick, started to slow down a bit in the Middle Ages, and got much slower starting around 1500 AD. It continued to get worse for several hundred years thereafter, finally peaking at over 10 minutes in 1878 AD (by measure of my then-current processor, a Pentium 4 2.66 GHz). By comparison, my new Core 2 2.20 GHz processor takes about 6 minutes for that same turn. Right now it's 9 some minutes by the Pentium 4 standard, as the total number of units has finally started falling.

Sorry for the lack of an update. My computer froze after quite a bit of civving this story two and a half weeks ago and I got bummed out of playing it for awhile, opting to play 2 GOTMs instead. But only one turn was lost, and the screenshots for it were not, so the only change should be the incremental 1 HP or 2 HP difference from the RNG. Though it does kind blow that I got a Great Leader on the replay I didn't on the original - I have to disband it. Oh well.

Welcome to CFC, Patoz! [party]

Oh, and since the ALCS is going on, I'll just throw in my 2 cents and see if there's anyone from Massachusetts reading this - go Cleveland!

You could just say that an army mysteriously appeared out of nowhere, a gift from Zeus. :mischief:

Go Rockies (to face Clevelend), and then FTW.

Clevelend may not have won since 1948, but never is a lot longer than 1948 (so they only were created in 1993. sue me. they deserve it. 18/19)

Oh, and since the ALCS is going on, I'll just throw in my 2 cents and see if there's anyone from Massachusetts reading this - go Cleveland!
Eww. Is Quintillus from Cleveland? If so, my entire opinion of this thread changes. Bleh. Bad taste in mouth.

:sniper: What's so bad about Cleveland?

j/k. I'm not from Cleveland. Only ever been there twice. I'm from the other big city in Ohio (seeing that you're from Cincinnati) - Columbus. I just happen to be an Indians fan, though the Reds are OK, too, so long as they aren't playing the Indians. I'm also rooting for the Rockies in the NL - 18 of 19 is quite amazing, it was really fun watching them come back the last two weeks to win the wild card.

Getting on the update now. Had an impromptu social event earlier this evening. But that's what college is all about. Oh, and learning, but it's still the weekend here.

edit: Nope, no adult beverages at this one. Just large quantities of delicious barbequed meat :smug:. A lot of college events here involve them, too, but I'd rather be playing Civ than consuming adult beverages!

Had an impromptu social event earlier this evening.

:beer: Did it involve, ah, adult beverages? Cuz that's what college at the University of Alabama is all about. (Which is a major reason why I don't go there, btw.) Not knocking it, but I'm getting on in years, and partying ain't what it used to be.

1950 AD - Our spies conduct another investigation of Tenochtitlan, as by now a full-fledged attack on it is undoubtedly near. This is what we find:

We have three Artillery and two Bombers in the New World right now, and our Battleship will be ready to bombard again soon. With six Infantry and one Mech Infantry ready to attack next turn, we'll be strong enough with a decent bombardment and decent luck in the attack.

This turn, however, is the turn for Neapolis to fall.

Our 13 Artillery right outside the city unload, and redline all the defenders. Bomber runs then kill two of those. Little remains of the defence, and a Guerilla charges the city. Almost immediately the last defenders fall. Neapolis is ours.

Then we send a Tank over to take Hispalis.

I pity the pikeman.

And then Ulysess heads west and attacks the Roman city of Lutetia, taking out a Musketman but not yet taking the city for Greece.

We've realized by now that we have more troops than we need fighting Rome - blimely, we only actually attacked Neapolis with one ground troop. Thus we send Ajax north to take the Celtic city of Alesia, at the mouth of the Nile.

He struggles mightily and loses half his hitpoints, but wins in the end. Theodoros Kolokotronis follows him in the attack, and wins without any hitpoint loss. Alesia still has defenders, and as no more Greek troops can reach it, it will not be taken this turn. Hector's Army is send to the Celtic capital of Entremont, where he will attack next turn with air support. And four Marines are sent towards Lugdunum, the finest city in the world.

In a slightly less ambitious move, a Tank attacks the Spearman the English send into our territory in the Gobi Desert.

The spearman gets owned. Which is good, because I didn't feel like having to include everyone's favorite smiley as a result of this battle :).

1950 AD IBT - The Ottomans make a full-scale attack on Tenochtitlan!!! And they do well. They kill two Infantry with their Sipahi, and do not take many losses. By now they have jumped to seven Sipahi. We have no choice now but to attack next turn - otherwise Tenochtitlan will likely become Ottoman, and while that would be good, it's not the same as sticking it to the Aztecs!

The Celts play hardball as much as they can and attack the Marines heading towards Lugdunum.

In fact, they completely destroy the Marines, while only losing one of their own brigades. Ouch. Guess we aren't heading to Lugdunum after all.

w00t! Update!

Tenochtitlan shalt fall!!! :mwaha:

With all those Pikes/Muskets/Spears around, it's only a matter of time before one of them beats your tanks. :spear:

edit: Nope, no adult beverages at this one. Just large quantities of delicious barbequed meat :smug:. A lot of college events here involve them, too, but I'd rather be playing Civ than consuming adult beverages!
Who needs adult beverages when barbeque is around? All you need is some good, sweet iced-tea.

:salute: :drool: :love:

Besides, adult beverages are expensive compared to Civ. In my personal economy, I figure a treat/pleasure is cost effective if the cost per hour is a dollar or less. So for C3C, which cost about $20 (including shipping), is cost effective if I get 20 hours of enjoyment from it. My current solo game is about 120 hours, so, yeah, I think this is very cost effective. Adult beverages don't even come close to matching this.

My wife, on the other hand, uses a different measure. :eek: I don't have a clue as to what it is; I just know that it is different. :crazyeye:

Hey, how come Russia's still alive? Kill 'em!
I think its because Russia is already done for & they are on a tiny island (Japan I think)

No, Portugal is on Japan. Russia is on Tasmania. Both are doomed. ;)

Top Bottom