1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

Which is why they should be killed now!

{I'm quite bloodthirsty in civ games.}

2. Logitech

Logitech A Person.

"Do not throw the arrow that will return against you,"
    Leonard Nimoy; Civ IV.

:D :D :D

3. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

1951 AD - Just because I feel like it, I make attacking a poor Persian galley with a Destroyer my first move of this turn.

And then we sink a Frigate with a Cruiser. I love having by far the most modern navy :).

Of course, the true battles this turn will take place on land. We will begin at the mouth of the Nile with Ajax attacking Alesia. Though a more risky move than a Kolokotronin attack, the potential rewards are greater - a full-strength army to hammer Entremont.

The first battle goes decently well, leaving Theodoros with five hitpoints and the Celts with a Conscript Infantry. The odds are in our favor, so we roll the dice.

Again we win, but the Celts have another conscript. We roll again.

And the city is ours. One must take risks to get rewards, and this one paid off handsomely. Alesia already has 22 shields of production, and will be a strong contendor for the Iron Works.

It occurs to me at this point that all three cities we are targeting are capitals. Thus we shall seek a triumverate of palacial victories this turn; a veritable triple play in taking down our enemies' centers of power.

Antium will be attacked first, as it is by far the easiest target. Two Artillery pound the city, and then the Elite Tanks roll in.

The second tank to attack gets redlined, but we take the city. And the first tank made the Musketmen look really pitiful.

Now it is time to take the city we have longed to take for nearly a hundred years.

Tenochtitlan.

Oh yes, we do bombard it as much as we can. And then we send the world's first Mechanized Infantry division at the city.

And it loses. Rubbish.

But we will not surrender. Tenochititlan must and will be taken, for the honor of Greece!

"They always bombard the city, and never attack. Don't worry," Montezuma had said hours before. He had been proven wrong already, but had thus far refused to evacuate.

"Do you value your head?" he asked his general. "The Ottomans attack with the most highly regarded cavalry in the world, and are always turned back. The Greeks attacked with the most advanced weapons on Earth, and failed. You mean to tell me you think some regular Greek rabble can overthrow the finest city in the world?"

"Your honour, they did take Teotihuacan..."

(Montezuma nods, and the guards draw swords to the general's neck)

"...but of course they do not stand a chance at taking Tenochtitlan," the general finished, hoping this would save his life.

"Correct you are," replied Montezuma. "Now, command them like a general. We shall win - Quetzalcoatl wills it."

But the general had reason to be concerned. His first guard corps fell quickily, and the Greeks then sent in more troops. Before long, the last Aztec defenders were overwhelmed by the Greek Infantry. It was only at the last second Montezuma was persuaded to leave.

"No, I will not leave. The palace guards surely will hold off the Greeks. Tenochititlan is invincible," Montezuma said. An artillery shell then crashed through the palace, killing two of his palace guards before his eyes. The sounds of warfare had been growing progressively louder from outside for several hours.

"Your honor, we must acknowledge the facts. If their infantry don't take the palace, their artillery will tear it to shreds and we'll be forced to evacuate anyways," said his personal advisor. "The rest of the royal family is already in the train ready to leave for the port, and the passage to the railroad station is as well-guarded as possible in the present circumstances. I urge you, acknowledge the danger and leave."

Montezuma thought and then replied, "Very well. It is better to evacuate and rule from another palace than to hide and cower in the streets. We shall leave."

The Royal Guard guided Monztezuma safely to the rail station, despite the shells still falling on the city, and within minutes the great steam engine roared to life. Slowly it accelerated, then more quickly. Danger, however, still lurked. An alert Greek commander had realized the escape route, and send a group of soldiers to intercept the train. They were only just nearing the track when the train approached, and knew they would not have a chance to sever the track and Aztec escape. Thus, they set up machine guns instead. If they couldn't take it out one way, perhaps another way would succeed.

The Aztecs on the train saw the Greek machine gun contingent, but already traveling dozens of miles per hour, there was no way they could stop the mighty train. They would have to face the bullets. So they did the only thing they could and accelerated to minimize the bullets they would inevitably face.

"Inconceivable," said Montezuma.

"We're just fortunate the track appears to be intact, sir," replied the head of the Royal Guards. "But there is nothing we can do now to avoid the ambush. I must recommend, however, that you quickly move to the safety offered by the engine."

"Whoever was the genius who came up with this escape route?" Montezuma grumbled. This wasn't the supreme power he was used to. But he agreed that it was better to survive in the steel engine, even if it be covered in coal and dust, than to risk his life by staying in his palacial coach. Thus he headed forward in the train with his finest guard.

But he was not yet to the front of the train when bullets first hit the engine and zinged off the steel in all directions. Their original plan of safety failed, the Aztec Royal Guard did the only thing left and had Montezuma move to the far side of the train from the machine gunners and have several of the guard serve as shields. It was only seconds until the bullets would reach the car the emperor was in.

And soon they did. The Greeks did not have sufficient weaponry to shred the cars, but their bullets did tear through the wooden walls and yield considerable damage nonetheless. Windows shattered, holes bored through walls and seats, and one car became flooded when a bullet broke an overhead pipe. Two of Montezuma's personal guard were wounded by bullets, and three other guards on the train were fatally struck. The rest of the Royal Family was fortunate to be in one of the least-bullet-ridden cars of the train, and none suffered more than a graze from a bullet. The total harm to the passengers - thirteen of one hundred and sixty passengers suffering more than trivial wounds - was not especially great, but the attack had been more than enough to shake up the Aztec Royal Contingent, and would be an event that Montezuma and the others on the train were sure to never forget.

Back in Tenochtitlan, the last defenders were slowly but surely yielding guard, unable to hold back the more numerous attackers. The Greeks controlled more and more streets, then the Palace, and before long Tenochtitlan was a city of the Greek Empire.

4. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Extra <very large amount> gpt for you, great job!

Tenochtitlan has finally fallen! Hey, where's the new Aztec capital?

5. Frozen In Ice

Frozen In Ice Chieftain

I really liked the way you did the story with Montezuma running away on the train!:goodjob:

But now, the Aztec capitol is finally Greek!:mwaha: :devil:

6. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

Hey! What about Entremont!? Complete the tri-palace conquest!

7. Steel_Khalil

Steel_Khalil Chieftain

Yeah! Complete it! >.<

8. Quintillus

Thanks! I thought of it a long time ago and was glad I remembered it when I finally played this section.

1951 is not yet over. The way things played out, dividing up 1951 just seemed like a good idea. You can expect to see answers to your questions in the next section :).

The year not being over is also why there is no World Map thus far.

9. Ryyrk

Ryyrk Chronic Underposter

Well, as it seems a tradition, I'm posting my first post here...Figured, why the heck not. Anyway, enjoying the story, don't think I'm alone in asking for...no, demanding, more.

"We want" | "We Offer"
    More | Nothing

"Take This deal or suffer."
    ;)

10. Quintillus

"Take This deal of suffer" - :lol:

Welcome to CFC, Ryyrk! [party]

I think I'll put up an update after lunch. Couldn't spend the time on it last night because of two tests earlier today - yeah, that was kind of important!

11. Frozen In Ice

Frozen In Ice Chieftain

Welcome to CFC, Ryyrk! [party]

You have now joined the ranks of people who have had their first post in this thread!:D

12. oneperson

oneperson Crazy in a box!

Someone should make a list...

13. Quintillus

1951 AD - Turning back to the battlefield, it's time to take Entremont. It's too far away for artillery to attack, but our bombers are within range. So they begin softening the defences.

They only take one hitpoint off the defenders, but more importantly they reduce the city to size 12. With that, Hector's Marines charge the city.

They lose only one hitpoint in the first attack, and three in the second. Theodoros Kolokotronis's full-strength Tank Army is the next in the assault.

This army fares worse, losing 6 hitpoints in one attack. It is still a victory, but after the victory we learn that the Celts still have at least two defenders in the city - one more than we can defeat this turn. The expansion has still been quite worthy this turn, however. And it's not done.

Ulysses wins for us the Saharan city of Lutetia in a battle whose result was all but known before it began.

And a Tank on the forefront of our Civilization strikes the Roman city of Veii.

Veii does not fall yet, but Rome is down to three cities, and two will be attacked next turn. Their army numbers ten, eight musketmen and two longbowmen. No matter how you look at it, the end is nigh for Rome.

And it can't be too far off for the Incan navy, cause we just found another of their convoys.

And just when I thought the turn was over, I discover that in fact Greece will capture three capitals this turn.

The Greek King makes a stirring statement to his citizens that perhaps would have been a diplomatic blunder had not the Russians been so helpless and hopeless: "My fellow Greeks, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

And the bombing begins exactly five minutes later.

Our bombers nearly outlaw Russia themselves, and a Greek Marine needed only defeat a redlind Spearman to take the city.

And with that the legislation is fulfilled. My military advisor brings excellent news:

Russia has been destroyed.

14. Brianung

Brianung Chieftain

Great job...I've been following this story since the beginning.

15. Quintillus

Thanks! Welcome to CFC, Brianung! [party] You're the second person to make their first post on this page! :band:

16. Frozen In Ice

Frozen In Ice Chieftain

Welcome to CFC, Brianung![party]

Quintillus, this thread deserves an award for most new posters making their first post here. I believe we are up to 7 people.

17. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

Glorioius Russians? GLORIOUS!?

Quintillius, you need to fire your Military Advisor.

Welcome to CFC, Brianung and Ryyrk! :band:

18. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

Welcom to CFC Brianung and Ryyrk. We're getting quite the crowd here. Good updates. This story is great.

19. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Welcome to CFC, Brianung and Ryyrk! :bday: [party] :bday: [party]

It's only too bad you couldn't make the FOUR Capital Capture. And it's really more like two and a half, Antium being the half capital since Rome was Rome's original capital.

Perhaps you should be more careful in your partial turn updates, Quint, as you are several times relating to the same event more than once.

Goodbye, Russia. That leaves 22 civs. Soon to be 18 civs (once Celts, Rome, Portugal, and Aztecs are finished off).

20. Quintillus

Antium wasn't the capital of Rome forever, of course, but then again, neither was Smolensk always the capital of Russia. So you could even argue for knocking it down to two - but to the Greek propagandists, it will always be three!

Where am I relating to the same event more than once? Theodorus Kolokotronis is mentioned in both, but only actually attacks in the second. The attack on Alesia does have a resemble the one on Entremont, but I believe all the battles are properly seperated - Alesia, Antium, and Tenochtitlan in the first, Entremont, Lutetia, Veii, and Smolensk in the second.

I did forget to put in the Incan Navy picture, but I'm not seeing where I accidently refer to events multiple times :confused:. But the author is never the best editor of his own work.