Conquest of the World

Patience. The last update was only 4 days ago.

i want to know what happens!
could we have a world map?
how much have you conquered so far?

Patience is a virtue. If he rushes his game he doesnt get to think. Without thinking, the game AND story both suck. So if the story sucks, or he loses, its your fault :p

I know the pace of updates has slowed dramatically since I first started. At the beginning, I was at the beginning, and the civilizations were not especially developed, so the game played quickly. After 1570 AD, I was off spring break, so the pace slowed. But the civilizations also became developed, and the game kept on getting slower and slower.

That's why the updates are slow now. I have more time to play, but it's just not fun when it takes forever between turns.

There probably will be sporadic updates, but there won't be very long ones or updates very often until I get a new computer (sometime this summer, hopefully sooner rather than later).

In the mean time, if you can play this type of map (31 civs, 180x180) on your machine at a good speed during the 1800s AD, please this thread in the Tech Support sub-forum and post your specs so I can make sure the new computer I get will play this game at quickly and I can start posting updates more often again!

I have played two more turns since the last update, but not enough has happened to warrant a new update. Web-browsing while the AI makes moves helps a bit, but it also stops when a pop-up about a new military alliance comes up, and can result in me missing another Russian invasion, so it's not ideal. Same problem if I play a game at the other desktop, and there are only so many newspaper articles I can read each day while playing Civ.

Sorry for all the delays. Updates will continue sporadically, and eventually will come more quickly again.

Oh, and if I lose, it's only my fault. But really, I don't think we have to worry about that! The story quality should stay similar, as well. There will be times it's not quite as exciting, but that'll happen in any Civ game.

I'm also glad to see there's been interest in the story even though (other than a bit in the Fall of Delhi part) I really haven't used specific characters and dialogue to tell the story. When I first started this, I didn't know that was the usual method of presentation. I'm glad my more pure-Civ approach also works, though I certainly enjoy reading the dialogued stories as well (recently, The Rise of the Moraie).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/20: Another few turns played. Not quite enough for an update yet, but it's getting there. Playing SimTower on the laptop between turns helps with all the delays, though two mice and two keyboards gets a bit confusing.

Part 18: Refining the Greek Outlook

...and the next part comes! Odd-numbered years indicate actions that occurred during the AI's turn.

1869 - News flash from the African front: The Zulu have declared war on the Egyptians.

This is bad news for Egypt: Now they're not only outnumbered, but they've got a two-front war.

The Japanese contact me for World Map trading negotiations. I change the entire course of discussion, and in the end our deal looks like this:

Yep, that's right, I'm dogpiling the Aztecs. Better I have everyone gang up on them than they have everyone gang up on me.

The Koreans join against Egypt. It's only a matter of time now.

1870 AD - I notice an interesting development in India:

Madras has culture flipped to India. Rome is surely seeing a case of the (War) Elephant now!

I also notice that the Egyptian city of Byblos, in present-day Angola, has been captured by Persia. Meh, not like I'm going to try to do anything about it.

1870 AD - The Russian front goes well. Two Cossacks fall to my Cavalry, and we lose only one Infantry due to an accidental (keyboard mistake) attack on St. Petersburg. An Infantry and some Cavalry head towards the city of Yaroslavl', and a source of Horses near Moscow is pillaged. With our troops near St. Petersburg heading south to pillage another source of horses and the only remaining source being near Yakutsk, we hope to eliminate Cossacks from Russia's arsenal quickly.

1871 AD - The American city of Baghdad, in the Yukon Territory, which they had earlier conquered from Carthage, fell to the Aztecs. I don't see it as reason for great concern. The Aztecs have recently switched to Fascism, and their city sizes have been plummeting, surely due to excessive drafting and forced labor. Meanwhile, America remains a Democracy and has several thriving metropolises.

It's hard to tell who's winning. America appears to have lost a bit on the power graph, and the Aztecs will have a short-term troops advantage due to their hurrying, but if America holds its ground it'll be at a significant advantage thanks to population and happiness. Not to mention America has allies. One of those, Japan, just switched to Communism and drafted a few guys. The other, the Maya, just this turn started upgrading Riflemen to Infantry. I'm hoping I am correct in guessing the Aztecs are at a slight disadvantage.

1873 AD - America lost the city of Cadiz, in Nunavut, to the Aztecs this turn, as well as Houston, in Quebec. They still have all their major cities.

Egypt fairs much worse. They lost Pi-Ramesses to the Celts, Alexandria to the Persians, and El-Amarna to the Zulu. In the process they lost both their sources of Rubber. Only six Egyptian cities remain, although one, Heiraconpolis, is a metropolis on a hill.

1874 AD - I sink one Russian frigate that had been attacking Java, but lose an Ironclad in the process.

I've been upgrading catapults to Artillery, and use Artillery to redline a Russian Cossack that had invaded my borders.

A Musketman then attacks and kills the Cossack.

At Yaroslavl', the chance for an excellent attack is too good to pass up. Only Musketmen defend the city.

The first Cavalry loses, but the second discovers an even more surprising weakness:

The Pikeman redlines both of my two Cavalry that attack it, but the second one comes out victorious. Another Pikeman remains on guard. We'll need more troops to defeat this pitifully poorly defended city.

That Cossack in the screenshots is defeated by a Guerilla.

Across the continent, an Infantry marauding the countryside near Moscow destroys the only Russian source of wine. That'll hurt Russia. Then again, maybe it won't, if enough of their soldiers had been drunk.

1875 AD - The Maya declared war on the Carthaginians. No big deal.

Babylon cancels their MPP with us. Guess they don't like our wars.

Egypt finally brings in an ally. Unfortunately, it's

The Iroquois against the Koreans. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the powerful, modern Koreans in Northern Europe will totally destroy the small, Middle Ages Iroquois in Scandinavia. And a rocket scientist could tell you that Korea could defend against the Iroquois with Hwach'a alone if they wanted to.

The Russians attack and redline my Guerilla near Vladivostok, but he survives. One more Cossack falls. One step closer to victory are the Greeks.

1876 AD - I discover, much to my dismay, that, contrary to my memory, Great Leaders cannot be used to hurry Wonders. Still confident we can finish the wonder in time, Bombay, India (actual location near present-day Calcutta) begins work on Hoover Dam. My great leader Hector forms an army in Bombay, which we shall soon fill with shiny new units.

The attack on the hyper-poorly defended city of Yaroslavl' continues

My Elite Cavalry destroy the only Musketmen in the town, and Pyrrhus then leads his army to a smashing defeat of some pikemen. Only a newly conscripted Rifleman regiment remains to guard the city. Unfortunately, it brings down one of my Cavalry. Undeterred, another Cavalry charges the redlined Rifleman. This one succeeds, and Yaroslavl' falls.

Yakutsk will be our next target. As can be seen in the above screenshot, only Musketmen defend the city, and it has Russia's sole remaining source of Horse.

1877 AD - A few new wars. The Chinese declared war on Carthage, and the Zulu did on Japan. Meanwhile, the Celts and Ottomans and Ottomans and Persians signed trade embargoes against me. Don't bother trying to keep all the alliances straight. That's my foreign advisor's job. He's earning his pay, too :D!

On the other side of the spectrum, Carthage makes peace with both America and Zululand.

Russia launches a few more attacks. A Guerrilla defeats one of my redlined Guerrillas near Yekaterinburg, but a Cossack is repelled at Yaroslavl', and a Guerrilla fails to take the Saltpeter position on which a Conscript Infantry had been garrisoned.

1878 AD - We'll start with the foreign-policy front. Really, some important news bits have occurred since four years ago, so here we go:

In Africa, Egypt's ensuing doom looks near. Persia has captured Heiracopolis, and the Celts took Isandhlwana. An Egyptian fleet has been spotted east of Madagascar, but even taking a Zulu city there would be a temporary escape.

In North America, America's war has grown worse. Their government has slipped into Anarchy, as has that of the Maya. At least the Maya have upgraded 19 units to Infantry, so their defense should hold. Nevertheless, their simultaneous fall into Anarchy is a bounty for the Aztecs.

The World Map at this point looks as follows:

Last edited:
The most important news of this turn, however, is technological. Our scientists have discovered the secret of Refining. They promise this technology will open up enormous, mostly yet-unknown possibilities if only we can secure a bit of Oil. Checking with my trade advisor, however, I learn that we have not a bit of Oil. How can this be, with an empire twice as large as the next-largest (Persia)? Well, there's a reason Australia and India aren't the world leaders in oil exports. However, there are two options for solving this problem before it becomes acute.

The first is a trade with Korea. They have extra oil, and as the currently see no use for it, will give it to us for just one gold.

That's all well and good. But really, why settle for such a short-term solution? After all, our next door neighbor just so happens to be...

Germany. Right smack-dab on top of all the world's richest oil reserves, and still in the Middle Ages. A more perfect solution to our problem could not be asked for.

So, without further ado, the invasion begins.

Nevermind that pesky little Embargo vs. the Aztecs we signed in 1868.

Cavalry will get most of the action in this war. Bangalore is our first target. To quicky reach it, we bypass the Barricade we had built in our war with Persia that has since fallen into German territory.

Last edited:
"Iroqouis, soon to be pwned by Korea"

-The World Map

:rotfl:

Um...since when can GL's not hurry wonders?

I thought the 2 things they were EVER used for was wonders and armies

Well, there's a reason Australia and India aren't the world leaders in oil exports.

OT- Indonesia is a member of OPEC though. Great story. Thanks for the update.

Um...since when can GL's not hurry wonders?

I thought the 2 things they were EVER used for was wonders and armies

In Vanilla and PTW, there is only one type of great leader, the kind you can get from an elite unit victory. They can build armies and hurry anything.

However, In C3C, A new type of great leader was created: The scientific kind, which you can get by finishing research on a technology that no one else has. You have a 3% chance of getting one each time you do this, or 6% if your civ has the scientific trait. Well, anyway, they can be used to rush anything, or start an age of science which gets you more scientific output, although I hear that this actually has no effect. When they were created, MGL's got demoted to not being able to rush great wonders.

I think military leaders not being able to hurry wonders happened during one of the Conquests patches, but I'm not sure which one. I'm almost sure they could hurry them in 1.00. So far the only patch I've found a list of changes for is 1.20, and the change wasn't made in the patch. It'd be great if anyone knows where a list of all the Conquests patches are and all the changes made in those patches.

Good point with Indonesia being in OPEC, A Revolutionary. Didn't know that before. Unfortunately for Germany, Indonesia doesn't have any oil on this map.

Top Bottom