1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. 3Davideo

3Davideo Chieftain

• How long are you from modern armor?
    • Are you planning on upgrading all your tanks to modern armor?
    • What ARE your military compositions?

If you have like 100 modern armor plying the world, your victory is all but inevitable. Then again, it probably already was.:lol:

Anyone agree with me that this game might have been even more interesting if Quint played Germany instead, granting Panzers dominion over Earth?:scan:

2. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

The minute India fell his victory was assured.

3. Headbanger

Headbanger Warlord

How would anyone stop him?

4. D0NIMATRIX

Good point, the only way to lose at Civ3 is to play at a difficulty level far beyond your capacity, or some stupid time victory, spaceship victory, or culture victory, or even diplomatic victory. You can win a game like this, but I personally prefer total liquidation.

5. Headbanger

Headbanger Warlord

I have every option but conquest firmly checked off.

6. D0NIMATRIX

Try that on the map I play and you'll see why I don't do that.:D

7. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Now that you mention it, it is slightly bigger. But I've been intentionally keeping the size to about 690x310 so those on 1024x768 resoultions don't have to scroll (that was me for a long time). I'll ponder using the military map though (it'd be about 900x440 with the same 3x multiplier on the original).

England will be run off the continent. Spain is 1999 IIRC, might be 1998.

Forgot about that until after I sent them all in :blush:.

RoP.

Check your CFC Inbox; I replied to you message there.

1. 1996 AD. So, about a year.

2. Not sure. The frontline ones, definitely, maybe or maybe not on the rest. Though I certainly can afford to do so, so I might just hit Shift+U and upgrade them all since it's easier than searching for all the frontline ones.

3. Here's the rundown:

16 Marines
    2 Archers
    3 Musketmen
    1 Cavalry
    10 Infantry
    89 Tanks
    101 Mechanized Infantry
    13 Radar Artillery (not counting captured)
    3 Cruise Missiles
    6 Galleys
    1 Galleon
    4 Ironclads
    9 Transports
    1 Carrier
    3 Destroyers
    6 Battleships
    1 Nuclear Submarine
    1 Fighter
    15 Bombers
    3 Helicopters
    10 Armies
    29 Hoplites
    1 Medieval Infantry
    3 Cruisers
    1 Paratrooper
    6 Flak

Just a side note, the IBT's are much quicker this decade. Maybe it's because there's two fewer civilizations (12 total now), but whatever the reason, it sure is nice!

8. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

Wait... Ctrl+U upgrades all units of a certain type? Whaa...?

:dubious:

Seriously?

:wallbash:

9. D0NIMATRIX

All of his tanks are going to become modern armor soon. Think of his achievements with tanks, and then ponder the forecasted conquests with MAs.
    Ouch.:lol:

10. Dezzilisk

Dezzilisk THIS GUY.

I found this out only a few months ago after i joined CFC, i also was kicking myself and having fun upgrading all my units at once.:)

11. Headbanger

Headbanger Warlord

O RLY? I'll have to try that.

12. Brucha

Brucha King

Wow, Quintillus, archers, galleys, ironclads AND 29 hoplites? That is a good mix of older units! I myself have a nasty habit of upgrading or replacing older or outdated units as soon as I can, no matter how much it costs me. It should be fun though with hoplites fighting along side of modern armor!

On another note, are you planning on building nukes? Or better yet, are you planning on using them? Especially tactical nukes?

13. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

I thought it was Shift+U ... and I almost felt bad for knowing it, then I realized the only reason I knew it is because I always played (and still do) with all the 'Advanced Buttons' on, so I always moused over them to see what new ones did.

14. 3Davideo

3Davideo Chieftain

Yeah, I thought it was shift+U too. Read that from the data sheet.

And apparently another C3C feature is "captured" artillery like workers doesn't take money. Different than Vanilla.

And that nuclear submarine... Are you up to top secret military research programs? :nuke: :goodjob:

15. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Really (except Shift+U). I didn't know it for quite awhile, either - not sure it was in Vanilla 1.07 (what I originally had). Found it out somewhere along the line playing Conquests and have been using it ever since.

I had extra support, and until recently didn't have lots of extra gold, so why not keep the extra units? Even a Warrior can prove useful - if the enemy attacks with 2 Tanks, you're guaranteed a counterattack with 4 Riflemen and a Warrior whereas you are not without the Warrior. It's rather fun to have Archers in the Modern Age, too!

I'm not planning on building nukes at all. The game has become a runaway, and no AI is even in the Modern Age yet. Tanks and Bombers alone are more than enough to overrun the world, add in Modern Armor and Radar Artillery and there's no reason to ever build a nuke. I don't think I've ever actually used one in a Civ game for that matter. Usually by this late in the game you've either already lost or are well on the way to victory. I don't like Global Warming a whole lot, either, and our Workers are already overstretched cleaning up pollution, so the end result is no nukes. Sorry for those looking for nuclear destruction - the Manhatten Project, despite the urgings of my Cultural Advisor, is not going to be built.

Double-checking, it is Shift+U. :thumbsup:

Was going to put up another update but Photobucket is down for maintenance (photos will still appear, you just can't upload any) :sad:. So it'll be up sometime later.

16. Headbanger

Headbanger Warlord

Never thought of using imageshack?

17. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

lurker's comment: As for the mass upgrade, just be careful that you don't accidentally "upgrade" a bunch of elites to veteran status . . . .

Nice work conquering the world, Quintillus!

18. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

I also seem to have this habit, with the exception of keeping UU's that are still useful after they go obsolete for a while (Like the Gallic Sword and Javelin Thrower), and I won't bankrupt myself with upgrades. Well, okay, I will. I just like having a fully updated military while the AI still keeps around all their spears and pikes. Which are invincible... :mad:

Quint... Use the nuke :nuke: .... Come to the Dark Side! :evil: We have cookies...

19. Brucha

Brucha King

Ha, ha! YEESSSSSS!!!!! [insert Darth Vader's heavy breathing here]

20. Headbanger

Headbanger Warlord

Won't nukes ruin his reputation?