Conquest of the World

Yay Update!

Quint, why is Akkad not Greek yet?

Because Y2K is not over .

choxorn said:
EVERY wonder? You don't have the not-yet-built Cure for Cancer, Longevity, and Manhattan Project, but who cares about them? :rolleyes:

Details...

choxorn said:
And where's the Mausoleum of Mausollos? It's the only wonder I haven't yet been able to find the location of.

It's in Rome. Though not in a screenshot, there was a passing mention of it in Part Twenty-Nine:

The Roman treasury already empty, the Senators decided to call on tradition to rally the troops. They orate the tales of how Rome triumphed when faced with invasions from India that neared Rome itself centuries ago. They spoke on Rome's glory days in the sixteenth century and their triumphs against their ancient nemesis, India glossing over the fact that they were then allied with Greece. They speak, too, of Roman cultural achievements, such as the Masoleum of Mausollos in Rome itself.

2000 AD - Babylon is in a worse position than the Hittites, though. They're out of land to lose and have three armies and a few dozen Radar Artillery outside their last city.

Our Radar Artillery redline everything, and from there it's easy for Alcibiades and Hector. I anticipated getting a "The Babylonians have been destroyed" screenshot to post, but I didn't. So I call on my spies.

A Settler Galleon!!! I can just see:

Part One Hundred and Four: Searching the Seas for the Last Settler (part seven)

The conquest has been delayed for fifteen years already in seach of the Babylonian Galleon carrying a Settler across the high seas, and there's no end to the search in sight. Harbors are pumping out ships by the dozen, but they've yet to locate the galleon. Stay tuned for further updates.

Fortunately I saw the Frigate and Galleon sailing north towards Newfoundland during the most recent IBT, so I have a general idea where it is. But it still could take a little while to track it down, as I don't have any warships in the area.

Scotland comes next on our conquests. Our bombardment surprisingly reveals an aircraft carrier in the harbor. So we give up on bombardment and send in the Modern Armor.

It starts out well enough, but our Modern Armor is forced to retreat. Surely this isn't going to be to Modern Armor what Britain was to Tanks...is it?

Our next Modern Armor does its best to put that question to rest by handily defeating two Infantry. So the third one is sent in, and it destroys a Rifleman before getting destroyed by the same Infantry that forced my first Modern Armor to retreat. At this point I send in a spy to see if I can even take the city this turn.

Quite a heavy navy group in there. But too many troops as well. I order my troops to hunker down and wait for battlefield medicine to heal them. Meanwhile, Dienekes continues our advance against the Spanish at Seville.

Spain is in trouble; I'll leave it at that.

2000 IBT - Sumeria lands three Guerillas on Great Britain. I've been sinking their Galleons off and on for awhile now, but they had a lot, and this one slipped through. We'll fight them off on the ground.

The Inca attack Palenque with a Rifleman, and do OK considering the low attack, but are rebuffed. I'd forgotten I was at war with them and hadn't reacted to their troops right away.

The Hittites hit Ugarit with two Cavalry, but lose to my Modern Armor. It'll take more than that to turn us back now.

Ooh, update, yay! Ohh, updates becoming sporadic, sad. Anyway, I don't think that's Scotland with Paegam on it - Scotland's on the same island as England. It might be one of the Orkney Islands, but my guess is that it's actually supposed to be Iceland.

Ah yes, I can see it now. When Quint takes over all the world, that random settler is still running away. Then, if the game lasted longer, they would rise up from their puny outpost in Antarctica or a tiny island or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow! Almost all of Asia is conquered. All that's left is the new world. :) Great updates.

Great stroy Quintillius!

I was thinking about that "Scotland" too. Scotland is the northern part of Great Britain, so yes, the island can't be Scotland. Also it's not Iceland as that's a bit further up(looking at the world map). It must be either a Scottish Island, or it could be the Faroe Islands even. Two tiles is a bit generous though.

Britain's a funny shape. :lol:

@Britian: Yeah, it looks like crap. What were the Firaxians thinking? Just one of the maps' many inaccuracies, like the Yucatan Penninsula being too far south, or Japan and the Malay archipelago looking like crap, or the Phillipines not existing... I could name a thousand.

I imagine Babylon will survive a while longer because of the damn settler.

Update!!! :woohoo:

Alright, time for some calculations... You say you have 447600 square miles... How much is that in comparison the rest of the world? I'm trying to figure out how big your world is...

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll look at the 1990 census.

Yeah, the Britain/Scotland/Ireland/Orkneys part of the map is rather messed up. Iceland's farther up north (I captured it a few turns ago), but otherwise it's not real clear. I decided to go with Scotland since the Orkneys are Faroes are far too small to deserve two tiles, and other maps have strange stuff such as Sicily being connected to Italy and Ireland to Britain (so why not Scotland not being connected to Britain?).

Other stuff is a bit off, too. Southeast Asia for instance. And Korea. And Kamchatka. And Java/Malaysia. And Greenland being so... green. It's not the perfect map, but at least you can tell it's representing Earth.

As for Earth size, it's about the size of Mexico. We're about the size of Colombia right now.

Actually, Greeland WAS green when the Vikings discovered it in the 10th century. It got icy when the "Little Ice Age" started in the 1300's. But, I don't think this is the 10th century.

@Britian: Yeah, it looks like crap. What were the Firaxians thinking? Just one of the maps' many inaccuracies, like the Yucatan Penninsula being too far south, or Japan and the Malay archipelago looking like crap, or the Phillipines not existing... I could name a thousand.

I imagine Babylon will survive a while longer because of the damn settler.

I don't think Firaxis made this map. I recall that the earth map that came with this game was made by one of our fellow civfanatics, and Firaxis thought it was very good and used it. Perhaps this is a different version of the map though and I could be wrong.

One way to fix it would be to change the number of sq. miles in a tile, but the way of doing that isn't known.

Or, you could just use the nuke :mischief:

Another question to the map: Why are the Hawaiian islands so (relatively) large? They are larger than Iceland!

Anyway, great updates :goodjob:

Nope. Since Babylon doesn't have any cities, I can't use a spy to find out where their Galleon is. They're so weak it's an advantage. What I'll probably end up doing is blockading all the naval chokepoints until it shows up. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they drop off the Settler and build a city near some of the Mayan ruins in the New World, at which point I could easily destroy them.

IIRC, when this map is loaded in Vanilla, it says, "Zach Wilson, September 2001." I don't know who that is other than the map creator, but whether he was a Firaxis employee or a CivFanatics/Apolyton member, his map made Vanilla 1.07.

Or, you could just use the nuke :mischief:

Another question to the map: Why are the Hawaiian islands so (relatively) large? They are larger than Iceland!

Anyway, great updates :goodjob:

Not to mention going north/south instead of east/west. Also, Mexico is too skinny...

yay, I just finished catching up completely. Congrats on ruling pretty much the entire Eastern Hemisphere :lol:

I have been lurking on these forums for a while and I think that this story is one of the best I have read! :)

And, why not another WELCOME TO CFC! for this thread? [party]

Top Bottom