1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

realistically, it doesn't matter what solution he picks. Fact is, he has a badass navy that will pwn the living pandas out of a sparsely protected Galleon. It's just a matter of his navy combing the seas, which shouldn't take too long considering his ships are faster as well. Destroyers to scout, Battleships to pwn, Babylonians to die.

2. Dezzilisk

Dezzilisk THIS GUY.

:hmm:

tenchar

3. Praha

Praha Chieftain

Yeah, beat the living... pandas(?) out of them!

4. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Actually, the Babs will probably be stupid and settle in one of those gaping holes in territory in Northern Canada.

5. Ryyrk

Ryyrk Chronic Underposter

Nah, I think just gifting them a city, preferably with some mech infantry/ infantry/marines/ Modern Armor nearby is the best route, that way he can just do a steal plans for what? 172G or so? and then anhiliate the Galleon and capture the city. His reps almost down the drain as it is, so what does this one incident really matter?

6. Dezzilisk

Dezzilisk THIS GUY.

There are other people to grind under his boot while he wait for the settler to pop up, and when it does there will be modern armour waiting...:D

7. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

But the point is, his rep's not down the drain. The only rep hit he EVER took was the single galley in Indian territory when he declared on India.

8. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

The point is, regardless of what method of pwnage Quint choses, the Babs will ultimately loose their pandas.

9. choxorn

Galley? Wasn't it a Hoplite-Scout? ;)

10. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

Shush, choxy. Just 'cuz your the master of every tiny little details ever in the story. The only reason I remember it was because Quint complained about a scout hurting his rep.

11. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Didn't he accidentally break a RoP somewhen?

12. Ryyrk

Ryyrk Chronic Underposter

Actually it was an Archer and Hoplite scouts.... I just reread the beginning this morning.

But, I could've sworn that he took a hit somewhere else too... OH well, I may just be delusional.

13. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I think it was when he declared war on India or whoever was in Mespotamia.

14. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

That would work to kill them, but my last agreement with America ends in 2006 right now, and that would push it back to 2020...aka far too long.

Exactly. Or, at least, not having intentionally broken any agreements.

Pandas? Aren't they somewhat heavy to take with you on even a large wooden ship? Not to mention all the bamboo you'll have to bring for them to eat.

Yep...let's face it, wherever they land they won't be far from us, and even if we can't get there right away, we'll be able to quickly.

It was - India. And the unit in question was a Hoplite, who was performing scouting duties - at the time I lacked Horses to build Horsemen to scout with. Part Six is the part of the story covering these occurences.

I don't recall any other rep hits. Might've forgotten one, though.

Update coming up.

15. choxorn

Perhaps declaring war on Germany when you still had that embargo against the Aztecs caused you a rep hit...

16. Quintillus

2001 AD -

Another Persian revolt...hmm, this is becoming a bit of a problem. As you can see from the screenshot, Gordium is no undeveloped town, so I don't really want to raze it.

We experience our first resource exhaustion this year, with both a source of uranium and one of Iron disappearing. We've still got plenty of both, so no worries.

Gordium falls just as easily this time as the first time we took it.

With that little problem solved, we continue against Spain.

The only limit to our expansion against Spain is the forests. But there's a lot of forest before the next cities, so that's it for expansion against Spain this turn. Except for in Hawaii.

Naval bombardment on Palma is thwarted by a convoy in the harbor. So it's by land that we'll lead the attack.

Our Tank destroys two units, and our Modern Armor takes down one. Then it's time for a new twist on a classic - the Modern Armor vs. Spearman battle!

We win, but the Spearman does damage our Modern Armor! Good thing that wasn't the Tank!

Now turning to the New World, Ankuwa has been sufficiently shelled and bombed that a Modern Armor can drive in unopposed.

Corihuayrachina also is heavily damaged by Radar Artillery and Bombers, and is easy prey for a Modern Armor.

Yet another leader! You know what this means - Modern Armor Army! But that'll have to wait a turn or two until we get more Modern Armor. For now, we send our Infantry Army to Cuzco, former capital of the Incan Empire.

The Army destroys the defending Infantry, leaving only a redlined Cavalry in the city. The Hittites apparently didn't think I'd reach Cuzco this turn.

With our advances exhausted for the turn, we return to defensive dutites, and Elite Tanks eliminate the Sumerian Guerillas who invaded Britain while a Bomber and Destroyer sink the Galleon that dropped them off. Two Tanks then move from Britain to Scotland, making our forces ready for a renewed attack there next turn.

2001 IBT - The Hittites flagrantly ignore the imminent danger my troops pose and finish their campaign against the Inca, taking their last city in South America, Huamanga. I suppose it makes for good propaganda, eliminating their enemy from the continent, but they don't need propoganda now - they need to stop our advance.

America also advances, taking Quirigu√° from the Mayans and leaving them with only one city in the north, Lazapa.

2002 AD - We continue to press our attack on Cuzco with our Infantry Army.

Two more defending Infantry are destroyed, but the city is not taken. Another Infantry is sent to the front to reinforce the Army, but we're going to need more Modern Armor to continue to advance elsewhere in South America - fortunately four are airlifted to the New World this turn.

Progress on the Spanish front is also very slow this turn, due to forests. We attack both Asturias and Santandar, but neither is taken.

We do, however, resume progress in Scotland. An Infantry, Flak, Guerilla, and Rifleman guard the city (we can afford all the espionage activities we want now). On our side, an Elite Tank leads the attack.

Excellent results. The Tank kills two and gives us a leader, and a Modern Armor finished it off. After they've recovered, the victors of this campaign will be heading to Greenland. I elect to use the Leader to hurry an Offshore Platform to make this a productive city, as I've already got enough Armies.

Despite the relatively slow progress, we do open a new front - the Caribbean Front.

Two Marines is all it takes to give us Hubishna. The others will move on to Tamuin, the current Aztec capital.

2002 IBT - The Inca attack Palenque again, and once again fail. I don't imagine they've got too many more Riflemen in North America.

The Hittites advance towards my cities in southern South America. They appear to be following a run-to-the-south strategy - not a good idea since there's only so much south to run to.

America, meanwhile, throws a slew of Cavalry at Mayan Baja California with no apparent results. In all likelihood they did kill at least one or two defenders, but as many Cavalry as they sent in, I was somewhat surprised they didn't take a city.

17. Quintillus

2003 AD - Progress has no doubt been lacklustre the past two years, after so many years of great advances. But we're ready to advance once more!

Cuzco will once again come under attack from our Infantry Army, brought back to 13 hitpoints by the addition of a new Infantry.

This time the Hittites do not have adequate reinforcements, and the city falls. Yet it is not Cuzco, but Hattusas, that we really seek.

The most powerful Army in the world is attacking Hattusas, and two Infantry fall this first turn. The army does lose six hitpoints, more than we expected, but the Hittite position is no better for that as our bombing runs will only increase in future turns.

With the Hittite capital now in grave danger, we turn to Cuba, where four Marines are prepared to invade.

All said the attacks go decently well, killing an Infantry, Flak, and Rifleman and leaving a single Infantry to guard the city, while we lose one unit. It is unlikely Cuba will be able to resist our next wave of Marines.

More than any other front, however, our progress is set to increase this turn in Asia. Santandar comes first.

The city falls easily to Hector. Asturias comes next.

Spain still has a good amount of gold, apparently. If only they were a Monarchy, the could spend it. Instead they are near-helpless as our troops advance on their last cities.

Turning science down to 20% for a nice 2500 gold profit over the IBT, we click the enter button...

2003 IBT -

A Hittite Ironclad successfully attacks one of my Ironclads off the coast of South America. I'll just have to sink it with Bombers instead.

America captures both Tikal and Yaxchilan in Baja California after going so far as bringing offensive Artillery support near the cities. The Maya are down to one city, one Rifleman, and two Infantry - America should have then conquered very soon.

2004 AD -

We launch our first Satellites!

Free maps! We didn't particularly need them, but they can't hurt.

Lunar expeditions as well! The sky is no longer the limit. The Space Age is in full swing! Greece is going to the Moon!

Our battles against Spain continue at once.

Vitoria falls easily, and gives us a surprising amount of gold. Harran replaces it on the top five cities list - we've still only got one city on there!

Sumer replaces Pamplona on the Top 5 Cities list - it's the one thing we simply cannot dominate! Not that it matters - we will in the end. Spain, meanwhile is down to one city, though according to our spies they still have 11 troops. I decide to find out where they are.

Wrong civilization! Well, anyways, here are where the Mayan troops are:

We try again.

Oh bother. They killed our spy. At least we learn their positions. There are six Spanish Guerillas by Evora in Alaska. They recently made peace with America, however, so those guys will come towards us. Four troops guard Logrono, but we anticipate it will be zero after next turn.

In South America, our advance against the Hittites continues with ease. Shelling and bombing leaves Hattusas with a single Cavalry guarding it, which is easily destroyed by a Modern Armor.

Every (completed) wonder is now in Greek hands. Athens is now the finest city in the world, though Sumeria beat us out yet again for the new #5 city.

18. Quintillus

Ollantaytambo comes next.

Or not. We got turned back as if we sent in a Knight. Undeterred, we send our Army to Harran.

Two Infantry are destroyed. Our pace in South America is limited only by our number of Modern Armor - and six more have arrived for next turn.

2004 IBT -

If you really want another country chasing your Galleon...

The Inca attack a Modern Armor on a mountain with a Cavalry - actually a good idea considering the alternative defence, but you know it's bad when that's a good idea.

After one last attack on my southern South American cities, the Hittites start turning their troops back north to defend. They realized our advance, unopposed, would not stop until we had all of South America.

Thanks to our accidental troop-plan steal in Lazapa, we witness a Mayan Rifleman be destroyed by America, but no further attacks occur. The forests likely bought the Maya one last turn.

2005 AD - We seek to conquer two civilizations this turn. First come the Aztecs.

Not a promising start, but we've got more guys.

This battle we win, giving us two three-hitpoint Marines with whom to fight the last defender of Cuba.

It takes both Marines, but Cuba falls. The Aztecs now have only one city...

Ulysess does a number on the defenders, but they have one too many. Thus the Aztecs will live to see another turn.

Spain, however, is nearly guaranteed to lose their last city this turn.

:eek: 1541 gold!!! Never mind that we already have 17000, that's a nice capture.

Ten rivals remain. One is sailing the globe in a Galleon, and another has one defender left. Two more have one city, and another two have just two cities.

With one turn still left in our peace treaty with America, the Hittites face a Modern Armor onslaught once again.

That's after we lost two new Modern Armor at that city this turn and one during the most recent IBT. They finally learned how to fight us...but likely too late.

Two Infantry manage to knock my Army down to three hitpoints, so we send the Bombers in off our Aircraft Carrier. They kill one Infantry, making it easy for a Modern Armor to finish off the last one. Tiwanaku comes next.

A Tank and a Modern Armor are both forced to retreat, but the city falls. We lose another Modern Armor trying to take Kadesh this turn. The Hittites are doing better, but not good enough. Our manufacturing power is now unstoppable to all but the RNG.

2005 IBT - Hittite Infantry destroy two Modern Armor on the attack. I still doubt their ability to succeed.

America does not conquer the Maya, so we make peace with them for a small profit of 15 gold. Now America just better not make peace with them next turn!

19. kingfire87

kingfire87 Chieftain

Wow! 3 updates! :ar15: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    :sniper: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    2005 AD! Almost to modern ages. Hey, I've seen Hector and Phyrrus triggered more than once. Are there multiples of those leaders?

20. choxorn

Yay! The Old World is yours! I'd like to see a World Map that shows the entirely Green Europe-Asia-Africa supercontinent. And no, I don't mean the non-polluted type of green. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Kingfire, it's technically only 2, and he's been in the Modern Age for a while. If you mean Modern Day, then yeah, he's only a couple of years away.

There aren't multiples of those leaders, but if you get to the end of the list, it will repeat. Over and over and over again.