Conquest of the World

zomg the thread got unlocked! but...shouldn't that mean there should be an update here?

Yes. I pm'ed Chieftess to unlock it earlier today, and she did a few hours ago, but I can't be online watching to see when it's unlocked 24/7 ;).

First off, my apologies for disappearing for a week. Life got busy, other events came up I hadn't expected, and then I got ill (though, not that I knew it at the time, by then the thread was already locked). I don't know if I'd been completely away from CFC since my first post, but I suppose it was bound to happen eventually. I'll try not to just disappear again, but of course such disappearances are unexpected, and if I'd thought I would have been away that long I would've made note of it. I still probably should have realized around Tuesday to check in let everyone know life had got busy. It must've just slipped my mind. :blush:

But the fact remains there were too many posts in too little time with too little sign of an update (that part was my fault), and the thread got locked. I don't mind posting in the thread at all, but obviously there can be too much of a good thing. Just in case I am away from CFC for several days again and leave the story cliffhanging - go ahead and have one person ask what happened, but not everyone! View my profile and click Find All Posts by Quintillus. If there haven't been any in several days, chances are I haven't been visiting CFC for several days! If that's the case, posting more requests to continue isn't going to help! Off-topic discussion (signatures, ideas for stories with some relation to this one, etc.) can wait until I'm back and posting news. I really don't want to have to request that this thread be unlocked again. One More Turn Theatre and Vegetarian Vengeance have struck the balance between updates, inquiries into progress, and comments without getting closed more than once, let's keep it that way here as well.

Now that I am back - welcome onboard and thanks, tubaman and turtlegladiator! [party]

And without further ado, let's have the update...

2010 AD - The mood in Washington was tense. Emperor John Collins had been having trouble sleeping well these days, and had grown to despise the Greeks with a passion, but at least the peace between the American Empire and the Greeks had lasted thus far.

It couldn't last forever, though. Many expected it to end late last year, or even earlier. Now, as 2010 began, many expected an attack during the first few days of the year, and the troops in Texcoco were on highest guard.

It thus came as a relief that during the first week of the year, reports came in not of an expected declaration of war, but of a Greek advance against the Inca.

Leiden became Greek for the second time in history, and the Inca were destroyed. Greece now has only five rivals, three of whom have trivial amounts of land.

Greece also continued to advance against Sumeria, fighting their Guerillas with newly-landed Tanks and Modern Armor.

But only so much could occur before the inevitable declaration of war against America.

And with that, the onslaught began. Greek Modern Armor at the border advanced within minutes of the declaration of war, and were at Texcoco that afternoon.

Texcoco fell easily, and Greece was off to a running start. The American Emperor still had plenty of land, but the ease with which his first city fell was unsettling, not only for him personally but for the authority of his regime.

Philadelphia gave America a ray of hope, destroying the first Modern Armor to attack and turning back the second despite bombings. Yet such a situation was only temporary.

Even with some success, the breach of the American heartland so quickly was disturbing to the Emperor and Americans across the country. For the time, land still protected most of them, but how long could it?

Chalco repulsed another Modern Armor, but fell. Greek troops then continued their surge north across the extremely convenient American rail lines.

Aztcapotzalco fell easily, granting Greece yet further inroads, which, of course, were taken advantage of.

The capture of Tzintzuntzen gave Greece a route of reinforcement to Tlacopan, and a direct route to the Great Lakes, if a roundabout one. Losses were higher than ideal, but progress was nevertheless alarming. Taking J.S. Bach's Cathedral, America's only real hoping at significantly hurting Greece and helping itself, no longer was feasible. But the Greeks were not going to stop at reinforcing Tlacopan. They sought to prove to America that no amount of border protection was enough to protect their core cities from the Greek war machine.

The fall of Chicago in early May, just months into the war, brought renewed questioning of the American military within the American Empire itself. It had been known that Greece had an extremely powerful military, but the American heartland was now the battleground just months into the war. It had been hoped that such losses would be prevented at least a year or two. A coup was averted thanks to loyal officers catching wind of it, but the situation was obviously unsteady. Boston and Atlanta were on the front, and Greece was not losing steam.

And Atlanta would indeed come under attack. The city of 1.1 million people was America's third-largest city, and the loss of it would be unreplaceable.

The city of Atlanta was one of the most important in the American Empire, south of Lake Erie and drawing resources from all around. Producing sixty shields per turn, it was one of the most consistent production cities around, and was heavily garrisoned in accordance, sporting four Infantry and two Artillery in defence, in addition to a Cavalry unit waiting for orders. Currently it was working on the first of America's newest, strongest units - Marines - to enter the service to help defender the homeland.

Thus it was with great frusteration that Emperor Collins received the news of an approaching Army. "Not a step back!" he ordered. "Project 'M' must be saved at all costs!" The attackers, it was reported, were of an older generation than the previous attackers America had faced, but were still more than tough enough for America.

They proved just as rugged as their more advanced counterparts, and the first quarter of the defending Infantry fell without too much trouble. The American military command hoped they would not face another Army, but it was not their lucky year. They wouldn't face another Army in Atlanta, but they would face a Radar Artillery barrage.

By the time the barrage was over, the Americans would have been just as well off with Conscript defenders. Even their metropolitan advantage couldn't slow down the Greek Modern Armor advance.

Emperor Collins was enraged, but it wasn't so much the loss of Atlanta itself that angered him. Washington itself was now in danger, and Seattle, the largest city in the world, was as well. Riots were occuring across America, the citizens furious that the imperial government that had promised to protect them better than a Democracy - and indeed had had decent success prior to 2010 - was disintegrating so quickly in the face of the Greek advance.

June, 2010. The year had been disasterous for America, and now Greek troops were storming down the north shore of the Potomoc towards Washington. The Imperial Palace was right down their path - and America seemed helpless to save its capital. Six Infantry guarded Washington, but America's record so far had been abysmal - could six Infantry really hold the city? In previous wars in North America that had seemed a nearly inpenetrable force, but it hadn't done very much to stop Greece this year.

The first Infantry met the Modern Armor head-on outside of Gathersburg, Maryland. The Americans were determined to spare the District of Colombia from any harm if at all possible, and fought with all their might and valor to stave off the enemy - and succeeded. One Modern Armor was down, countless more remained.

The next Modern Armor fared much better, and Gaithersburg fell. Advancing down I-270, the Modern Armor met the next group of resistance at Rockville. Frantic civilians jumped on the last Metro train to downtown as the combat began.

The citizens of Rockville were fortunate that day, and little damage was dealt to their neighborhood as the Modern Armor were thoroughly defeated. But the two days later Greece sent another group to the same area.

This time the Greeks proved dominant, and the affluent suburb was strewn with rubble by the end of the fight. As the fight moved forwards, the sounds of war were heard throughout the District of Colombia. Suddenly a visit to the Museum of American History was no longer desirable. Celebrating triumphs over the Maya and Carthaginians just didn't have the same appeal with the Greeks twenty miles away. The mood within the city became unusually quiet. The government tried to make everything appear as usual, but with the distinct lack of casual conversation and the military convoys making up half the traffic on the roadways, "everything as usual" was obviously not happening.

Bethesda was America's last effort to stop the Greeks outside the District. A desperate campaign was waged, taking advantage of every building and bridge to slow down the Greeks.

Once again, the Greeks were forced to retreat, but the next day Greece was back, with its sixth attack on the District defences in a week. America's troops - and the local residents - were becoming weary, and Greece seemed to have an inexhaustible supply of fresh soldiers.

Still America's army fought impressively, and destroyed the Modern Armor making the second attack on Bethesda. Scared citizens watched across America as the fate of their nation rested on the balance, but thanks in part to the experience of the government news spin team, some small hope remained for the American citizens.

The third day of the attack proved too much for the American defenders, and, in a battle lasting into the twilight, America's troops were at last forced to give up Maryland. The Emperor called an emergency Cabinet session to decide on a path of action. Unable to fathom abandoning defences with fourth-fifths of his army intact, he at last decided to order troops to attempt to hold off the Greeks in the outer parts of the District of Colombia. The government would stay another day.

At the end of the next day, the Emperor was being congratulated on his decision. The Greeks had performed most poorly in their first foray into America's capital, and had been repulsed with minimal damage. Yet still the nation waited with bated breath, for, even though they had won a victory, precious little protected their capital form capture.

The next day proved just that, as determined Greeks overwhelmed American defenders to gain a steady foothold in the District of Colombia. They made camp only a few hundred meters from the Imperial Palace and the Capitol, and a tense darkness settled on the city. Trains were leaving stations for Richmond and Annapolis every few minutes, and a steady stream of exiting carriages clogged the streets. Snipers lined the roof of the U.S. Capitol, daring the Greeks to advance. And that they did, at five o'clock the next morning, just as the sun began to rise.

Emperor Collins awoke to the sound of a shell slamming into a building a hundred meters away, and knew his days in the Imperial Palace were done. Hurrying through the Palace grabbing a few items on his way to the stables, he barked orders to protect the Intelligence Agency if all else must fall.

"Emperor! Which of the military plans do you want?" yelled his aid as he walked by.

"Never mind those, we have to get out of here before we're dead!" he replied. "If they kill us America will fall into anarchy, we're the only hope!"

Five minutes later his horse was sprinting south towards Seattle, just ahead of the advancing Greek troops.

The battle was spirited, with Greek troops shouting triumphantly at every advance and American troops refusing to surrender a single point in the city. Many buildings were left damaged by stray shells, and the Capitol suffered countless bullet holes from Greek efforts to eliminate the snipers. But Greece once again proved triumphant, and Washington fell.

As the Greeks sorted out the remains of the city that evening, a Private happened upon some papers in the Imperial Palace that appeared to give the positions of all of America's troops. He hurried to an officer with the papers crinkling as he ran.

"Whoa, slow down, what is it?" asked the officer.

"Sir...I think...these...show where all...America's troops are," panted the soldier.

"Give them here, let me see..." said the officer, thinking the private was surely deluded. But the positions did seem likely, and in the end he decided to forward them on to headquarters. In a few hours both were looking at a nice promotion. Greece now had America's exact troop positions, down to the last Pikeman in Oea.

But before any other cities were targeted, the Intelligence Agency had to be taken, and any American efforts at counterespionage ended.

The battle was easy, the Americans exhausted and demoralized. Even the most skeptical had at least hoped Washington would survive any sudden Greek invasion, yet it had fallen already. True, America still had 84 of its 106 Infantry, but nine cities, including two of their three metropolises, had already fallen.

The Americans expected the Greeks to continue along the East Seaboard, or perhaps to Seattle, defeating American production centers once and for all. But it was along the West Coast that Greek Marines next attacked.

The sensitive information gleaned in Washington had told Greek commanders exactly where the American Cavalry were, the only real danger America posed, and most were in Carthage. Thus the next attacks had to move there.

Cathage was, in fact, one of the best-defended cities in America. Four Cavalry, five Infantry, and an Artillery guarded it - a seemingly inexplicably high garrison.

The Infantry destroyed one Modern Armor but on the whole fell easily, and three Modern Armor had little trouble destroying the Cavalry to take the city.

Greece then targeted two unprotected American Cavalry in Alaska.

The battle is an easy victory. Turning south, Tikal, in Baja California, is attacked.

I raze the city, planning to replace it with a better-positioned one, only afterwards realizing that cuts off my advance to Yaxchilan. Oh well, with good bombing we'll take it easily enough anyways.

Heading back north, Greek troops seek to loosen America's grip on Canada with a couple of quick strikes.

The latter of the two doesn't go as planned, but Lagertaro at least falls. Bonampak is not out of the woods yet, however - our Modern Armor may still succeed in blazing a trail there this turn.

Baltimore, the next city we target, is a mere one turn from finishing a Marine. Apparently our attack is occuring just in time.

With the capture of Baltimore and Bonampak, we can reach the Arctic from South America in one turn. Still unsatisfied, we press our attack further.

Calixtlahuaca is the seventeenth city we've taken this turn. We're now nearly out of troops to continue the attack with, but we muster up the forces necessary for another attack, against New York.

At the first advances towards New York, rioting broke out in the city. The government had been trying to convince the citizens of the Southeast that the Greek strike at Washington was merely for symbolic purposes, and the the losses in Canada and the West Coast were merely superficial - the strength of the eastern establishment, said the government, would easily retake the lost grounds in the East, and eventually overwhelm the overstretched Greeks in the west as well. Especially in recent weeks, the government had argued that with such great Greek expenditures on the west coast - far above what even secret American estimates of Greek strength had estimated - guaranteed the East would be safe for another year. Thus when Greece somehow found even more troops with which to attack New York, the citizens once again rioted against the government's lies. The Emperor, knowing no other method, turned to violence to suppress the citizens, and tens of thousands of casualties resulted from civil strife in America. This resulted not only of fear of the government, but resent and hatred of it as well. Most Americans were none too fond of becoming Greek, but many were frightened of the mess their government had become as well.

Greece, however, let none of this confusion and chaos in America alter its plans.

Xochicalco comes next.

And finally, Lazapa.

At long last the American propoganda of Greece having no more troops was true. But just because we can, we do advance in Sumeria, taking the city of Akshak.

We've now taken twenty-one cities this turn, by far the most thus far in the game. We've expanded to the limit of our abilities, and America will soon have the chance to counterattack. But first, our planes and ships will deal a bit more damage. This starts in San Francisco, where bombers destroy the harbor, cutting Seattle and San Francisco off from the rest of America and leaving the cities in a right sorry state.

Six-sevenths of the citizenry unhappy...I dare say I would be too in that situation. And without Rubber, the cities should fall considerably more easily. Needless to say, this situation only results in more rioting in the American cities. The government forced the citizens to continue working for it, but had hardly any support. With the loss of their luxuries and the continued oppression and war, many Americans were just as ready for the war to end. The Greeks may be conqueres, foreigners, and no supporters of democracy, but at least they were said to be fair, advanced, and skilled at returning conquered lands to prosperity.

With land advances over, we then send our ships after an American convoy just about to land troops by the last Hittite city. We won't be able to stop the landing - and don't particularly care to - but reducing their navy would no doubt help us.

We sink an Ironclad and a Destroyer. Our navy is still dangerously weak in the region, but we now know exactly where to send reinforcing ships.

By the end of the turn, America is down to sixty Infantry, a far cry from the more than a hundred they began the turn with.

2010 IBT - Despite their greatly weakened position, America does get a moment of glory when they capitalize on a stack of thirty-some Radar Artillery in the Old World that I forgot to guard.

Oh well, they probably wouldn't have made it to the New World in time to help, anyways.

America also does OK on the naval front.

And then the worst lost - a Transport with six Modern Armor.

That'll slow us down a bit. Korea especially benefits from this. But it is only a temporary loss.

On land, the American government makes its only attempt to retake the East at New York.

They nearly succeed, but even if they had they didn't have the strength to take back Washington or Atlanta. It hadn't really been relevant even then, though - we already knew from our spies that America didn't have enough to retake more than a few cities.

They do take one city back - Lazapa.

Fine by me, if I had to choose one to lose. They get lots of cold trees that we can easily retake if we ever decide we want to live there. Which would actually be quite unlikely if our goal weren't total conquest.

Otherwise America's attacks are mediocre at best. We lose a Modern Armor outside Calakmul...

...but America's attacks in Baja California fail to make any advance...

So the turn ends with a greatly expanded Greek Empire - twenty cities larger than just a year ago.

And thus we're left with an excellent position from which to begin attacking again. 2011 likely won't see quite so dramatic of advances, but America has already lost this war. It's only a matter of how much time until the war is over now.

That is awesome ... I don't think I've ever seen more than 9 or 10 cities taken in one turn before ... over a score, though! Hats off! :hatsoff: :goodjob:

That puts my best blitzkrieg to shame.

twenty-one cities.......I........you............but....... *suffers heart attack*

I survived the heart attack, anyway wow! that is amazing! America is doomed. (my favorite civ) total conquest by 2050 is entirely possible. actually more than possible but very likely!

One would think...

So, on that topic: Where's the Update Quint? That, and a world map would be nice...

But, those are just the ramblings of a person waiting for the update to come...

Also, why'd this get locked? Is Chieftness just power mongering... (Joke, not meant to be an insult!!!)

Oh, just saw the update... Sorry! Didn't see the new page button!!!

Yep, I'm an idiot!

Edit: And that made no sense...

So, good job on the score and one cities! Never had an advance like that in my games!

Lost a transport of MA's... Ouch!

Brilliant writing at the fall of Washington Quint. Glad to have you back.

What is it with betting in this topic?

I bet Greece wins before 2026. I bet a 3-day ban on it.

Ah great, now I have to delay my conquest...

j/k :D Hmm, I've played ahead a bit (though not all the way) so I've got a pretty good guess, but it would rather throw of the guessing if I posted it. But I can say that it looks like Ryyrk is going to losing 5 Virtual USD's.

bunny_lard said:
Brilliant writing at the fall of Washington Quint. Glad to have you back.

Thanks.

I'm jumping back into playing right now - got started and don't want to stop! Good 'ol One More Turn Syndrome at it again. I'll start posting updates on what I've played once I've quenched the OMTS.

WOW! 21 cities , and an awesome update.

p.s sorry for the spam.

Well the odds are pretty low on 2037.... If he's right, I'm going to be deeply in debt.

I don't think you have anything to worry about ;).

Update coming up in two parts. Will start on next page. Didn't really want another 25 images at the end of this one for those readers without very fast Internet. Plus this way the update will be on one page.

Top Bottom