1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Console Version to come soon?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bruntfca, Oct 5, 2010.

1. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

Like tequila!!

2. charon2112

charon2112 King

I must disagree with you here. It would be virtually impossible to effectively play a game as complex as Civ V with a few buttons on a gamepad. You won't be seeing this on consoles.

3. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

I would say the same about DAO, but it's there too. There's even rts on consoles... ouch!

4. charon2112

charon2112 King

They're horrible to play with a gamepad, though.

5. Viperace

Viperace Warlord

I always, always, hated good deep game cross-platform into childish, simplified, console game.

Thank goodness this thread is a smoke.

6. Mark Havel

Mark Havel Warlord

Well well well, RUSE has been ported on the consoles and from what I've heard, it was pretty well done and usable. And keep in mind that the guys behind RUSE have actually developed credible AI, which might not be the least computer intensive task. That should prove that a complex strategy game is doable on a console, even more if the said strategy game happens to be played in real time, thus leaving a far more slim margin of error. And by the way, that doesn't seem to mean the game has been childlishly oversimplified.

There is a common misconception among some PC player that console games are made for simple and stupid people, but go out, play Bayonetta or some typical Japanese musical game such as Project Diva and you'll change your mind right away. There is a trend of casualisation in videogames, but it doesn't comes from the consoles, only from a will to extend the market and following the trail of the Wii, who enlarged the market to new horizons of gamers who might not be willing to play an hardcore game.

So I can't see why it would be impossible for Civilization V to be ported on a console. Since the hardware is fixed and does not evolve, it leaves a considerable room for optimisation. Anyway, most of the current-gen games does not run in 1080p nor in 720p but in some inferior resolution and then take advantage of the good upscalers installed in the consoles to smooth the image.
    The main obstacle to this is certainly the lack of skill and experience for doing this at Firaxis, some disappointing sales for CivRev and the disappearance of some important features such as mods, custom maps and all. Oops, it hasn't deterred some typical PC games to appear on consoles. Oh and Microsoft is also said to be pretty annoying when it comes to updates, see the mess with the Left 4 Dead DLC which you have to pay on 360 and are free on PC.

I wouldn't mind either.
    So far, it's been 13 years I'm playing exclusively on PC, it's been almost 10 years tech and game pundits predicts the death of PC gaming and it's still there, alive and well, pretty different than 10 years ago, thanks to Steam and a few other guys, but still there...

7. Nachtwesen

Nachtwesen Chieftain

Im pretty sure this game is designed xbox friendly. :( At leats civ5 feels not like a game for the pc. It feels like a console port.

8. tokala

tokala Emperor

I tried, but apparently noone paid attention :cry:
    After a bit more of digging around, it seems even the video chip isn't that bad. For example the xbox360 has a GPU roughly aquivalent to a ATI 2900GT, which is comfortably above the minimum. Memory latency and bandwidth are pretty good, as is the raw CPU power. The only thing problematic is the low amount of 512MB shared memory, but consoles seem to have a few tricks up their sleeves to make that work, and software can be much bettter optimized for a fixed hardware.

9. Becephalus

Becephalus King

This whole thread is just a font of idiocy, cannot the moderators delete threads like these, they are cluttering up the forum.

Nice try trying to talk some sense into them POM.