Contest: Design a Unit- Public Poll

Which unit do you think is the best for FfH?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted for the Giant Spider.

If I may suggest, you might consider giving it a 'feed' option similar to the vampires'.

I just love the idea of systematically feeding the populace to a Shelob-sized beast in your service. :D

I voted Giant Spider. As an old RPG player, i can't imagine a world without Giant Spiders....
I also like the Kite Man idea but we don't know enough about his strenght/weakness.

The Frog

I voted for Ghost Ship because just as FFH made exploration on land much harder with barbarians, they should make exploration on sea also harder with a barbarian ship. I think whoever made Kite Man would have gotten more vote if he put more detail into his idea like power. (and also if he voted for himself)

The poll is closed and Abman is our winner with the Giant Spider!!!

Congrats Abman, your spider will be making an appearance soon in FfH2.

The truth is that the design team just about had an unanimous pick from the selections, the Grigori Medic. When Chalid scooped that one up we went on and picked other units. I suspect we will add the Grigori Medic in soon as well.

To be honest we tend to create new objects out of a design need. The Grigori Medic is the strongest example of that sort of design. The other example is the Ghost Ship, where the functional need is to introduce some danger and interest for sea exploration.

I agree that there is a design need for the unit but I was planning on using a loch ness type sea serpent for it and making it an animal unit (i dont want it harrasing coastal cities).

Thanks again to everyone who entered a unit. We will have the Giant Spider (and probably the Grigori Medic) in soon, and we still may steal ideas from this contest for future units. Look for a new contest soon.

On behalf of Giant Spider I'd like to thank everyone for voting for her. I'd also like to thank all the little people that she ate along the way. None of this would have been possible without you! :crazyeye:

abman said:
On behalf of Giant Spider I'd like to thank everyone for voting for her. I'd also like to thank all the little people that she ate along the way. None of this would have been possible without you! :crazyeye:

So thats what happened to the halflings.

Janusi said:
So my Ghost Ship didn't make it. Ah well, Giant Spider sounds good too. Always been a fan of Spiderman, so an unfriendly neigbourhood webslinger sounds like a good addition.

Don't forget to give it time.....the barbarians are seriosly in need of help and the design team sees this and more than likely when they get around to it, after they finish what they are working on, your idea will get looked at again and again........what are the chances that, given these guys wonderful opertunistic geniuses that they are, that they would never use your idea for anything and who knows their version maybe worse at higher level and maybe a higher Hero unit version like a Viking Horror Story.........optimism is very healthy here where anything can, and often does, happen......

After exchanign pm's with abman about the specifics and ideas this is what we came up with:

1. The Giant Spider is an animal, and spawns in forests and jungles.

2. The Giant Spider doesn't wander, it stays in its tile unless someone comes with a tile of it.

3. The Giant Spider is invisible to all units except recon units and other giant spiders.

As such the Giant Spider is a trap on the unwary. Extremly dangerous players would do well to remeber the areas they are in when they lose units to them. It also gives another reason why it is better to explore with recon units than others.

The model was made by Chalid and the skin by C.Roland. They both did an awesome job as I think you can tell:

Hi Design Team Is this spider going to raise it's two front leggs threateningly toward its prey and then grab at themsuddenly at the bigging of the attack then doing bite and spin business after........thought the menacing attack look would be great.......reminds me of the Discovery channel meets Eight Legged Freaks....after witnessing spiders on the prowl all I can say is if it is simipar to the trapdoor spider those bad boys are fast high speed camera's nessisary......just curious and I like surprises so if you don't wanna say...I get it.

H.GrenadeFrenzy said:
Hi Design Team Is this spider going to raise it's two front leggs threateningly toward its prey and then grab at themsuddenly at the bigging of the attack then doing bite and spin business after........thought the menacing attack look would be great.......reminds me of the Discovery channel meets Eight Legged Freaks....after witnessing spiders on the prowl all I can say is if it is simipar to the trapdoor spider those bad boys are fast high speed camera's nessisary......just curious and I like surprises so if you don't wanna say...I get it.

Chalid did some awesome animation for it, it fights with the front 2 legs and spits webs at its victims (spinning webs, just in time, catching crimals just like flies).

Xuenay said:
Sounds and looks great. :) Are captured giant spiders invisible, too?

Yeap :D

Great model, but it could stand to be hairier :p

BeefontheBone said:
Great model, but it could stand to be hairier :p

In all fairness you wont normally be looking at it that close. Any detail that isnt visible from the players normal view distance is a waste of cpu. For a model to still look good zoomed in that close is a testament to Chalid's perfectionist nature. C.Roland mentioned that he could skin eyes and such on it, but in all honesty all that work would go unappreciated since you would be able to see it except in these extreme zooms.

Top Bottom