Converting Civ V Units to Civ IV

Effects need a node in the nif file from which they can be displayed. So, for example, "Effect:RIFLEBLAST_MODERN:EFFECT_RIFLEBLAST_MODERN" means that from the RIFLEBLAST_MODERN node the EFFECT_RIFLEBLAST_MODERN effect should be displayed. Getting the effects displaying into the right direction can be tricky, but normally they work fine if the effect node is a direct child of the MD NonAccum node.

I have modified your model by adding a RIFLEBLAST_MODERN_RIGHT and a RIFLEBLAST_MODERN_LEFT node. Also, I changed the Attack animations that from both notes at time an effect is triggered. Probably not directly as you intended, but you should be able to go from there. If you want to fine adjust the position of the effect nodes, it is helpful to activate "Draw Nodes" in the "Render" menu of NifSkope.

Cheers! Got everything working now thx to you! I should be able to create a much better unit next time :lol: - Planning another Mecha unit (better 2nd attack like a bazooka or rocket launcher/ laser beam). In meantime this Gundam Unit is "complete", I added an explosion effect/sound to the torso and mechanized infantry sound to walking, the unit comes also with its own Button.

Attachments

• FinalGundam.zip
    559.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Patch.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 100
I successfully imported it from the nb2 into 2.79 - however I can't enable niftools for 2.79. If I open the blender file in 2.49 it appears empty.
I can open the 2.79 file in 2.83 stable but when I export the nif there it produces an empty file

Last edited:
I successfully imported it from the nb2 into 2.79 - however I can't enable niftools for 2.79. If I open the blender file in 2.49 it appears empty.
I can open the 2.79 file in 2.83 stable but when I export the nif there it produces an empty file

In Blender 2.79, if you save your .blend file with "Legacy Mesh Format" checked then you be able to open it in Blender 2.49 to do NIF export.

Or just use .nb2 import script for Blender 2.49.

This is for Blender 2.49. I used 2.79 for years, but have switched to 2.49 since all the plugin work for that version.
This happens for nearly every NB2 I import. The file only APPEARS to be empty. For some reason you need to switch to edit mode for things to show up. If you can; try to select the armature. Then switch from object mode to edit mode. Everything should show up then.

Attachments

• Blender_NB2_import.jpg
    Blender_NB2_import.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Blender_NB2_editmode.jpg
    Blender_NB2_editmode.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 421
Maybe it's the perspective but that rifle looks huge. Like the magazine is larger than his hand.

I think the rifle looks about right, but the wood stock? American rifles should only be made with authentic environmentally friendly molded Chinese plastic. :nono:

Between the stock material, the placement of the charging handle up top (was abandoned on the AR-15( and the size it's probably an AR-10. I've seen images of those (IIRC Portugese) that had a stock that was painted wood color.

There is a button called envelopes you need to Deselect. This always happens to me and I forget where the button is everytime. I think it is under "Editing" and "Modifiers".
Hi, could someone please clarify what I need to do here (preferably with a pic or two)? I found a box in the lower right, and it's labeled "Envelopes". But it doesn't seem to work whether I select or deselect it. Thank you for any help.

Export Error 01.png

Export Error 02.png

Attachments

• Export Error 02.png
    Export Error 02.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 13
The only modifier I can remember using has been the mirror modifier. When finished editing using that, I think I hit the Apply button. Maybe you need to deselect Envelopes and then hit Apply??🤷🏼

Hey LPlate2, thanks again for your help. I'd never have gotten this far without your step-by-step guide and support. I believe I've got the mesh textured and ready to go - if only I can solve this export error. I've tried selecting and deselecting Envelopes and clicking Apply. I've also just clicked a lot of random boxes, you know, trial and error 😅

Here's the nb2, blend, and texture for the first file in the Mediterranean Ancient Cityset. Can you or anybody else verify that this can be exported? Thanks :thumbsup:

Attachments

• medit_anc_city, first file - nb2, blend, texture.7z
    101.4 KB · Views: 15
Had a look but I'm no wiser than yourself. I did notice that there were multiple vertices overlapping but merging them together (i.e. selecting each vertice with the B circle and hitting alt-M) did not sort it.
The model in question is a relatively simple model, so you might be faster to just recreate it from scratch in blender than trying to crack the conversion process (unless you have a load more from the same source to similarly duplicate).

Since you have no skeleton to worry about with this, you can work around the problem by exporting the mesh as obj file, re-import that file into Blender and then save as nif.

Had a look but I'm no wiser than yourself.
Thanks a lot for trying, I really appreciate it. Yeah, the goal is to crack the conversion process and obtain a couple~ few buildings and citysets. And preferably some units that I can learn to rig :D

you can work around the problem by exporting the mesh as obj file, re-import that file into Blender and then save as nif.
D'oh! I'm glad one of us is wearing our thinking cap. Success! Thanks SaibotLieh :thumbsup:

I went ahead and made a conversion of the civ5 Warrior. Idk if this can be rigged as is... but he came out at a lightweight 41kb. I'm hoping I can add extra equipment (shield, new weapon, etc.)

skeleton to worry about with this
This is unfamiliar territory for me. Does the skeleton need to be exported as well? Right now in the NIF there's just a green dot at the bottom for the scene root.

I rotated the mesh in Blender so the faint orange skeleton can be seen. What will I need to do to get him ready for rigging? Thanks again SaibotLieh!

success!.png
civ5 warrior 01.png
civ5 warrior 02.png
scene root.png

Attachments

• civ5 warrior.7z
    188.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
For animating my original civ 5 demon I used the skeleton from the standard civ 4 warrior. I think you can delete that green dot and just add in the warrior skeleton. Looks like the model is already lined up for this so once you rig it to the skeleton, you (hopefully) won’t have to tweak it or develop your own kf.

Top Bottom