1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cookbook #1 (Sally, Immortal)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Fippy, Nov 20, 2018.

1. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Here's my attempt - it's been a while since I have played generic BtS.

If we are voting next week, I won't be around, fyi.

Attached Files:

2. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal

I really can't play without BUG/BUFFY. If loading in, say Buffy, and start game then it says: "This game requires the following mod: NONE." Fippy, can you upload file, GotM style, as a Buffy version?

3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

You can do a install of BUG in the custom assets folder. I have been putting it of myself but with this game I did do an install, and it works fine.
    I don't get everything I get in buffy, but most of the important stuff.

4. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

I switched my .dll file for this game (old one used), had problems before with others being unable to load if i use my normal setup.
    Playing with either Bug+Bull or BAT usually, this game was created with Bug only.

Maybe @Lymond has some advice too, besides krikav?
    He's really good with mods.
    I could switch .dll again, for workers stopping chops 1t before done and so, and play this one..
    so i was hoping both can be used.

5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I wouldn't chop and change too much. The series should stick with same file format. People need to be able to view all other saves?

krikav likes this.
  6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Yes, I'm perfecly fine with nomod-saves.
    Having to keep a close eye on the workers so they don't time their chopping wrong is fine. Everyone being able to look at all saves is way more important.

If the winner of the vote should run a buffy save, that would coerce everyone into that mod in the next iteration. Not good imo.

7. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Did you rang? ;)

As Krikav mentioned, @Major Tom will be fine if he installs BUG/BULL in Custom Assets. He may be using the standalone (MP) version of BUG, or trying to load it with BUFFY. My likely as the BULL DLL active which conflicts using other mods, but which most probably use anyway.

If @Major Tom wants to use other mods for this game, he can create a WB save from the original save and play it as a scenario. Add in IMM level barb techs (Hunt, Archery, Agriculture, and maybe Mining..I forget). Ofc, opening WB reveals the map, but you can use the FoV slider to slide all the way in and just avert your eyes as best as possible. I also place my hand over the Leader drop down so I only see "Barbs" which is always at the bottom of the list.

In future, we could try using BAT for these games, or the new BUFFY, which probably more people have installed. Really, everyone should have BAT installed..it is the best mod. OR My creates a WB save instead, so everyone can use their mod of choice, but that can create problems for players that don't have a particular mod installed when viewing and voting..

With the BUG/BULL in custom assets - very commonly used for forum games - the creators left the Sentry Heal..and a couple of less used features... as optional install (BULL features). Problem is you have to recompile the mod after the change, which most don't know how to do....I don't. Otherwise, everything is the same.

BAT = BUG+BULL+Graphics

BUFFY = BUG+BULL+HOF Mod

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

I turned off the BuLL.dll for this one ;)
    But i could play with or without if i load the save now, seems flexible.

BAT would be great yup, but i expect there are some who would rather pass than installing it so..
    (just going from experience, would be great if we could all agree).
    Or if all can agree on Buffy, sure. Can sort that out before the next game.
    Merci Lymo!

9. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal

Custom assets was a mess. Played without mod.

Attached Files:

10. Anysense

Anysense Emperor

Yeah, BAT is fine but takes rather a lot of space. On the other hand, BUFFY is only 3MB and installed in a second. Some people may still be reluctant to use it for one reason or another.

11. Fish Man

Fish Man Emperor

OK it is done.

Spoiler :

Edited: remove spoiler about how the map was. That comes...later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  12. Samuel_996

Samuel_996 Chieftain

Here's my attempt!

Attached Files:

13. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Hopefully have time tomorrow.

14. floydmcw

floydmcw Warlord

Thank you for doing this! Here is my T45 save:

Attached Files:

15. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Lots of players, very nice :)
    2 more days time (deadline day still counts), until we can start discussing.

You can also start thinking about which system you prefer for voting,
    back then they used just 1 save i think (would have to look).
    My idea was that we vote for 3 winners, and next round players can pick one of them to continue with.
    Imo this would add some more depth & variety, along with giving more saves a chance.

krikav and sampsa like this.
  16. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I think it's a good idea to strive for depth and variety! It can also help us to avoid falling into groupthink and just voting for an approach similar to the one we played ourselves, because we think it's superior.
    Also, some strategic decisions might need to be "alive" for more than one session to make a call if they are better or worse, just having one main save alive could cause too much short term thinking.

Abit worried that 3 saves can cause too much divergance though. Perhaps just 2 winners is better?

17. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I just got back home after a very long time on the road with no Civ access. This looks really interesting, not sure if I have time to play before the first deadline, but might participate later.

I like diversity, 3 saves seems good. Question is, how does the second vote go? If the first three winners are games A, B and C, it might be that by the next stop one of them has proved way superior and we end up with games A1, A2 and A3 going forwards, while the other two are dropped. This would reduce diversity as the game progresses. How about we pick three in first vote, those are the three games that are to be played out, and in later votes one game from each of those advances? Maybe all players could even be allowed to play and submit all three games if they wanted to? For learning purposes it would be really good to try different strategies on the same map, however, it might be that this reveals too many spoilers as different games are played... It also depends on how different the three games are. If the first three winners are similar enough, then it doesn't make much of a difference.

lymond, Swordnboard and sampsa like this.
  18. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I don't think going with strongest save is best. As a lot of the players here are immortal/deity level. I still have 14 turns to do.

Welcome back Elite. SGOTM yet to start.

19. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

But what else would make sense? :hmm:

20. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Well it's immortal and if we play from strongest save each round it will make game less of a challenge in future rounds. The idea of the Cookbooks was to help people move to higher levels?

Not really happy with this save. Played out 45 turns anyway.

Attached Files: