Cookies and Treats

It's not practical at all for real life .. you don't need a thermometer to tell you if water's either freezing or boiling. But with F from 0 to 100 you can have a better measure of Earth's air temperature ranges, which really is so much more useful for your everyday life. I totally agree C's better if you're a scientist working in a lab.

It's not practical at all for real life .. you don't need a thermometer to tell you if water's either freezing or boiling. But with F from 0 to 100 you can have a better measure of Earth's air temperature ranges, which really is so much more useful for your everyday life. I totally agree C's better if you're a scientist working in a lab.

smile
For everyday life air temperatures F is for sure more precise :)

What I totally love about metric for science is how easily you can convert dimensions, like 1 cubic centimeter is 1 ml and also 1 gram of water.

For those objecting to measurements in cups, you can buy standard measuring cups for both dry ingredients and liquid ingredients. You don't have to guess whether your teacup or coffee cup is too much or too little.

I use measuring cups, I have different ones for my liquid and dry ingredients. I understand using a kitchen scale can be more precise, but I've never found it to make much of a difference, I find it's really easy to tell if you have enough flour in your mixture just be looking at it and mixing it, and rarely do I need to add any additional. I'm pretty sure you can find websites to convert volume measurements to weights :) I'm too used to how I've always done it to change lol.

kinda missing the point here. I know that one cup is always the same size. I also agree that converting volume to gram is easy, but volume is just an inherently bad way of measuring for baking. here is why:

you can cramp one cup full of flour and it will be 250g and you can pack it lightly and it will be 210g. these variations can't be avoided, you will never fill a cup exactly the same. with a scale it's irrelevant. also, if you use different types of flour they will vary in volume, say 1 cup of type 405 will have a different weight from one cup of 510 flour, you feel me? and you definitely cannot adjust for that with your eye, or your "feeling". I don't always follow recipes, and I can do a pretty good bread or pizza dough just by eyeballing, but the best bread I make then I try really hard. and that means following a recipe to a t. yeah, with baking cookies a few grams of flour wont make a big difference, but if you make a soufflet or a brioche or a loaf of bread it's pretty important to be exact.

kinda missing the point here. I know that one cup is always the same size. I also agree that converting volume to gram is easy, but volume is just an inherently bad way of measuring for baking. here is why:

you can cramp one cup full of flour and it will be 250g and you can pack it lightly and it will be 210g. these variations can't be avoided, you will never fill a cup exactly the same. with a scale it's irrelevant. also, if you use different types of flour they will vary in volume, say 1 cup of type 405 will have a different weight from one cup of 510 flour, you feel me? and you definitely cannot adjust for that with your eye, or your "feeling". I don't always follow recipes, and I can do a pretty good bread or pizza dough just by eyeballing, but the best bread I make then I try really hard. and that means following a recipe to a t. yeah, with baking cookies a few grams of flour wont make a big difference, but if you make a soufflet or a brioche or a loaf of bread it's pretty important to be exact.
Sometimes the best recipes happen by accident. Baking is like a chemistry experiment. I discovered that the recipe I started using for chocolate haystack cookies worked best my way, not the recipe's way. I cut 25% of the sugar and added more chocolate. I have no idea why salt would be necessary, so the pinch of salt was omitted. As for the 3 cups of rolled oats... yikes. Adding all three made the cookies come out crumbly. Approximately 2.5 or so did the trick. I just kept adding rolled oats until the mixture was saturated, but not supersaturated. I kept the measurements of butter/margarine, milk, coconut, and vanilla the same as the recipe.

No-bake cookies are perhaps the best cookies in existence, and yet they are confined and restricted to be homemade goods. Why is this so?

I haven't seen them in mine. I did see some once, where I cannot recall, but they were actually terrible.

I haven't seen them in mine. I did see some once, where I cannot recall, but they were actually terrible.
I tried some from a local bakery, and they were awful. The ones I made were not as sweet, but they were extra chocolatey, and as much as people say it's women who are the chocoholics, in my family my dad and grandfather loved them (my grandmother preferred the yogurt-coated cherries and grapes I made). In fact, when I made a batch to take to a potluck, I had to keep them away from my grandfather so he wouldn't get into them (later I made an extra batch so he could have some). It also became a tradition for awhile when I was attending the science fiction conventions that I'd make a batch and take them along. Between my roommates and various visitors, they never lasted longer than Friday night.

Ingredients: 1 cup of hot water and around -40 F or C

Spoiler :

I genuinely will not use any baking recipe if it doesn't use metric measurements. measuring flour in cups is asinine. it simply will not produce repeatable, uniform results and it's highly inaccurate, which is a killer when a few grams of flour can make a huge difference. also I feel the temperature system is not very intuitive at all.
Holy &*$%, this reminded me of a huge rant -

I'm reading a book and it's entirely in imperial units. I do not have a 'feel' for these imperial units the way I do for metric and it's driving me bonkers. I know how much force a Newton is (or 10 mN or 10 kN), I can't say the same about pound-force or slugs. I don't know how much area .15 square feet is the way I know .15 square meters. So one and so forth.

Even sillier - the authors will use different symbols for the same constants, sometimes on the very same page. The current page I'm on has two graphs that cover exit area and on one graph they shorten this to Ae and on another graph it's A0.

Back on topic-
Anyways, I know that they sell off-brand girl scout cookies at stores but I have not seen an off-brand Tagalong (peanut butter patty) for sale anywhere and my girl scout cookie dealer is fresh out.

Starts post talking about grams
Ends post talking about GSC dealer

It's weird how the language of prohibition finds a way to stick around even when the prohibition itself is repealed, leaving us with a bootlegged vocabulary of slang.

So my friend's fiance made these cookies that were literally just globs of macadamia nuts in globs of really rich, chocolate dough...they were so goddamn good it was incredible. No idea what the recipe was though.

I thought GSC dealer was referring to the guy in 2nd Generation Pokémon selling Slowpoke tails.

I totally agree with you for some things, and yes when I'm making souffles (I need to do those again!) I'll use a kitchen scale. But when I'm doing cookies, or cake, or pizza dough, I prefer to just use volumes because it's easier and doesn't make a huge difference to be exact, and I feel those are really more of an art than a science.

I've decided I'm going to make maple creme cookies this week, I hope they'll turn out well! Emily has just been devouring my cookies, lol!

I agree, cooking is and has always been equal parts craftsmanship (I prefer that over science, people have been crafting based on empiricism and experience for way longer than modern science is around) and artistry. I actually made cheese souffle earlier this week and it turned out decently :)

You should try my wife's grits souffle. Great side dish.

1 1/2 cups grits
4 oz unsalted butter at room temperature
6 oz cheddar cheese, grated
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper
4 eggs, well beaten
Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce, to taste

Cook the grits. Cool until only warm
Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined
Adjust seasoning as desired.
Turn into a greased baking dish
Bake at 350° for 60-75 minutes until set in the middle​

Cheddar is traditional, but similar cheeses will work.

Top Bottom