COTM 07: Saves now available

Play open, and if you lose quickly, submit anyway and then wait till there are spoiler threads out, read them, learn from them and try playing over again (without submitting a 2nd time).

You'll learn from the spoilers and how you can improve from your first attempt.

Let's just hope iron is available unlike last game. Tried to take it from Spain and got stomped.

Well, I know the suspense is killing everyone, so let me announce that before I left for work this morning, I downloaded the Open class save. Will I rise to the challenge and secure a victory, or will I suffer my second ever COTM defeat (first was, the Demigod Dutch game, of course, which I played Conquest class)? Only time will tell!

Hm, had an odd bug:
In 510AD, CTD without any error message when I hit F4; reloaded. Then, interturm 520, a Civ from "far away" contacted me, sold me another contact, but I could still only access 8 Civs in F4 despite knowing 10 (the "Show more Civs" button simply wasn't there). Reload (I always save at end of turn, having two small children ;) ), nothing; restart Civ, nothing; reboot, fine.

1) Did that happen to someone else?
2) Stopped playing now, with all those reloads; what should I do? (Nothing of interest happened btw; the GLib expired, but I get the same techs in any case).

I wouldn't say that is a big deal, Doc. I get an F4 QTD about every other game. One thing I have noticed when there in no "More Civs" button, if you shift-click on a civ leader picture (it might be shift-right click, I can't remember exactly from memory), it will allow you to replace that civ with another.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
2) Stopped playing now, with all those reloads; what should I do?

Continue and see if it's resolved following the reboot. Occasional crashes happen, hopefully not too often. When they do you can only reload and try to continue. If it crashes again then contact Ainwood (I don't have Conquests so I can't help) and we'll try to help you fix the problem as it won't help you or us for your game to crash every turn or two.

Good luck.

[EDIT] @Bradley: Shift-right-click in vanilla brings up a menu of civs to select to repace the one you clicked. I didn't mention that as I don't know if it still works now they've added the More Civs button. And yes, F4 does seem one of the more flaky parts of the program.

I must have messed up that fill some how.

Lucky I saved my game at the end of the turn before all this happened. I was goning to stop for the night, but that "just one more turn" got me. I just had to see the Hussar.

Crash 1 (See picture) the turn I got military tradition I try to use the arrows at the top of the first city that finished building something. I got this picture.

Crash 2 all most the same thing. I use pick next tech option went to city screens (F1), picked a city off the list and crash. Same error.

Crash 3 end turn, used pull down opption for tech and all builds in the cities that finished some thing. After all cities were finished, I move a knight to a barracks city hit the upgrade button and crash again.

Well is this my computers way of saying no more turns, go to bed?

Or did my wife program a file to get me to stop?

Well I still want to see all those hussars.

EDIT: I found the problem myself. Those hussara are worth staying up past my bed time. Oh and it wasn't just 1 more turn it was 2 more hours.

From Ainwood: Please note: You will need to install a new pediaicons.txt file in order to play as the Austrians. This file is included in the download .zip file.

This is probably your problem.

You can check this with notepad by opening the pediaicons.txt file (in the conquests\text folder)

Top Bottom