COTM 07: Saves now available

Oh, Something like that happened to me...
I didn't have to go to work though...
I just took my laptop to the front lawn where i could piggy back on some of neighbours wireless network and have my report on SGOTM uploaded in time :D

Wow. [mea culpa] I probably ought to go back to Cheiftan, as it is where I usually play -- with some difficulty.

For the apparently uninitiated, please don't post spoiler information in the announcement thread. Yes, I know getting killed at <early date> isn't typical spoiler material, but some people don't want to know if the game is easy or hard until after playing it for a bit... :)

For the regulars: yes, it's me, might be returning after a year of hiatus. :cool:

DaveShack said:
For the regulars: yes, it's me, might be returning after a year of hiatus. :cool:
Ah! Go on! You know you want to. Welcome back, DaveShack :thumbsup:

Wiener schnitzel, walzting and cream cakes in Vienna. :banana:

Thanks, ainwood! and a Merry Xmas to you and the GOTM staff! [party]

I'm torn between downloading the OPen save or the Conquest save, so I thought I'd throw it open to the group. In terms of skill level, I'm somewhere between Regent and Monarch -- and by that, I mean I almost always win on Regent, but only win 1/3-1/2 of the time on Monarch. I won COTM 6, but it was a close victory.

My inclination is to suck it up, swallow my fear, and play Open. Anybody have any words of encouragement (or discouragement) for me?

I say go for it! You clearly want to give it a try so don't limit your ambition. ;)

As I have said a number of times in this forum, GOTM is a great way to progress through the levels. The spoilers help you improve overall gameplay and the start is usually kind enough to show forgiveness for the occasional mistake. I always enjoy the games that are hard fought so if you suffer a narrow victory/defeat in the end, you will have had a great game. That's all that is important IMO. Good luck, Jason and give 'em hell. :sniper:

Tone said:
I say go for it! You clearly want to give it a try so don't limit your ambition. ;)

I suggest the opposite. Play conquest. Although the level is emperor, I suspect that this game will be much harder than GOTM37 which is on deity. Starting position looks bad, 1.5 times more crowd world than usual means earlier conflicts, special units is late, no GA and so on.

a space oddity said:
I'm guessing he means a late one, so you'll get it when you've either already lost or are already sure of a win.

Yes. I guess alternatively it can be achived by building a wonder, but IMHO this is a very expensive way to get GA.

It's not that late a Golden Age -- if you research the bottom half of the tech tree first, you can get it halfway through the Middle Ages. By that point in the game, you're likely to still have some rivals who could give you a run for your money, and a Golden Age could help you take them down a peg and/or rocket past them, tech-wise (or at least a player of my skill is likely to still have some rivals. SirPleb will probably have won the game long before I discovery Military Tradition. :) )

Shamelessly cut-and-pasted from ainwood's post in the pre-game thread:

Austrians:

Militaristic and Industrious. (Start with Warrior Code and Masonry).
Favorite govt: Monarchy
Shunned govt: Republic
Capital: Vienna.

Unique Unit:
The Hussar. Replaces Cavalry. Costs 80 shields, Attack 7; Defense 3; Moves 3 (no blitz). Requires horses and saltpetre.

Jason Fliegel said:
It's not that late a Golden Age -- if you research the bottom half of the tech tree first, you can get it halfway through the Middle Ages. By that point in the game, you're likely to still have some rivals who could give you a run for your money, and a Golden Age could help you take them down a peg and/or rocket past them, tech-wise (or at least a player of my skill is likely to still have some rivals. SirPleb will probably have won the game long before I discovery Military Tradition. :) )

Lets put it another way: GA is not going to help you to survive in this game.

Jason Fliegel said:
My inclination is to suck it up, swallow my fear, and play Open. Anybody have any words of encouragement (or discouragement) for me?
My two Austrian Euro-cents : if you want to focus on fun and enjoyment : take conquests. If you want to focus on improving your gameplay and understanding the mechanics of the game : take open.
My own advice : take open. It feels better to lose open than to lose conquests. Same for winning. ;) :)

Nice Ainwood!
The start looks somewhat challenging and the difficulty level is increasing....

Might this be the difficult game we've been asking for??? ;)

I'm with Ambiorix. Losing COTM3 was probably my favorite of the OTMs, just because I never knew whether I would even survive.

Top Bottom