COTM 13: First spoiler (end of ancient age)

About that iron on the mountain near the arabs; I used the old trick of settling 2 tiles away and then making a colony. It saved me the trouble of building a road.

In C3C, rings are not an issue. We can just go for the best tiles. The rings was an unfortunate bug allowing less corruption, fixed in C3C.

I didn't really mean rings in that sense. There still is a distance factor to corruption so your closest cities will have the lowest corruption. So ideally you want to settle close cities first, no?

But I think I misunderstood what you were saying. By getting iron through normal expansion I had thought you meant you didn't have to specifically go for the iron, but just settled the best land. The two iron sources were next to desert/tundra respectively so if I hadn't known the iron was there then I wouldn't have settled those towns until very very late. That was the problem with my game. Since I didn't get any monopoly techs until 775BCish I wasn't able to get iron working until then. So I did have to rush out of my way to make sure I secured the iron and just barely managed to do so before the Egyptians took it.

play open, go for survival (again)

I´m no deity-player, but I survived GOTM 43, where I suffered a solid space loss. So this time I´d like to improve a bit and maybe shot for a diplo.

Of course I, too, settled on spot. Wanted to focus on aggressive expansion and hopefully do some cute tech-brokering by using self-researched stuff.
It didn´t work as well as I had hoped, but I´m not completely lost yet!

QSC-stats:
10 cities, 21 pop, 383 fireaxis
2 barracks, 2 grainaries
9 workers, 7 warriors, 1 archer, 1 spearman
minimum culture and 3 to 4 techs behind

contacts:
Arabs 2900bc, Portuguese (2350bc), Aztecs (1425bc), Rome and Inca (around 500bc)

technologies:
pottery (3400bc)
WC (2900bc from Arabs for Masonry)
Wheel (2550bc, Arabs got it 2 turns before!!)
Maths (1600bc)
HBR (1600bc, from Ports for Maths)
BW and CB (1600bc, from Arabs for Maths)
Writing (1300bc)
IW (1300bc, from Arabs for Writing, Ports got Writing IBT!!)
Philo (1100bc)
Myst (1100bc, from Arabs for Philo)
Currency (750bc)
MapMaking (750bc, from Aztecs for Currency)
Polytheism (750bc, from Arabs for Currency)
Literature (550bc)
CoL (550bc, from Portuguese for Lit and gpt)
Republic (around 300bc, entered new gov in 190bc)
Construction (50bc, entering MA)

Major setback occured in 1350bc, when Abu demanded 18g and I gave in. Just then I realized this was all of my money and I was making -gpt! So there went my granary in Orleans :mad:
Oh well, a war on that point of time would have taken me out of the game, so what...

Apart from the occasional money-demands, I´m quite well with my neighbors, and they didn´t really seem to bother attacking me, although I´m definitly weak in comparison.

In 150bc I attacked the Aztecs and took their iron city in the south the following turn - the start of my first war in this game.
This will be of good use, because I plan my first real campaign to come when I get knights. I just have to do something about the statistics - I´m last one in every important category.

My animated map, thanks CivAssistII: [edited to get map going]

Attachments

• Joan d'Arc of the French history minimap.gif
    Joan d'Arc of the French history minimap.gif
    223.3 KB · Views: 524
Twonky said:
Major setback occured in 1350bc, when Abu demanded 18g and I gave in. Just then I realized this was all of my money and I was making -gpt! So there went my granary in Orleans :mad:
A small tip for future reference :) .
You can click on your advisor next to the demand pop-up. This lets you access your advisor screens to adjust your gpt.

COTM 13
Conquest version

4000bc Scout E & W. Worker S. Settle in place. Bonus Settler E. Research Writing at max.
3700bc Orleans founded near cow. Build worker.
3550bc Paris has built 2 warriors. Building granary.
3500bc Pinkish border.
3450bc Say hello to the Arabs. Trade Masonry for Ceremonial Burial + 10g
3150bc Portugal. Trade Masonry + 10g for Bronze Working.

Save Game.

3000bc Inca, Romans, Byzantines, Aztecs, Egyptions. Wealthest nation: France. Couple of Commercial civs starting with Alphabet.
2630bc Lyon founded.
2470bc Writing completed. Researching Code of Laws. Can trade Writing for lots of techs. Will they get Writing from me and beat me to Philosophy? Agony to choose.

Save Game. Decide later.

OK. I think I'll need to trade Writing. Then, it can't be extorted later. I'll get some value while I can. And, when I get Code of Laws or Philosophy, maybe other techs will be available for trade. And, I want to see where there be horses.

2310bc Rheims founded.
2030bc Tours founded.
1650bc Marseilles founded. Philosophy is 10 turns away. I can trade for lots of tech again. Trade now while its worth something? Hmmm. I have already been extorted. I can see it happening again.

Save Game.
Portugal isn't offering as much as Arabia. Maybe they are already researching CoL. I think I will trade CoL away. I'll get iron, which will be nice to see.

1500bc Philosophy in 1 turn. A city will be built near iron next turn.
1475bc No slingshot. Bummer. Both Portugal and Arabia have Philosophy. They must have got it after trading CoL away. What to research next? Min 50-turn research to Republic will make lots of money. Or about 25 turns to get to Currency or 19 to Polytheism. Polytheism, I guess. Maybe I can get there first. Need to get off the continent.
1475bc Chartres founded.
1425bc Avignon founded.
1325bc Meet the Aztecs. On the western shore. I'll want to keep this secret from Arabia and Portugal. Nice trading.
1275bc Besancon founded. I need to think about embassies.
1200bc Rouen founded.
1175bc Forbidden Palace offered.

1000bc

11 Cities
3 Settlers
6 Workers
4 Warriors
10 Spearmen
4 Horsemen

Save Game.

900bc Researching Republic. In the Middle Ages, but no new gov.
875bc Dijon founded. Amien founded. Built an embassy in Arabia. They are at war with Portugal. Good.
730bc Contact Egypt. Also on the western shore. Nothing to trade.
710bc Toulouse founded.

470bc 7 turn anarchy.
330bc Republic of France.

Attachments

• Joan d'Arc of the French history minimap 330bc.gif
    Joan d'Arc of the French history minimap 330bc.gif
    223.5 KB · Views: 507
Open

Well I don't think I did a great job of getting to the MA, but I am pleased that I made it there. I tried to go for the Republic slingshot, but Arabia barely beat me to CoL and then someone beat me to Philosophy so no luck there. Every time I built settlers, I had to adjust my research lower and so it would slow me down a few turns. I then tried to get a monopoly on Lit, but came up short again.

klarius said:
A small tip for future reference :) .
You can click on your advisor next to the demand pop-up. This lets you access your advisor screens to adjust your gpt.

I wish I had known this because someone demanded all my gold too and I lost my barracks in Paris right before I went to war with the Arabs.

in 950BC: I know first tier techs plus IW, Writ, CofL, Phil, and Myst.
I know the Portugese and Arabs.
I have 7 cities, 17 pop, 176 culture, horses, and incense.

in 430BC: I don't know Math, Curr, Rep, Mon, Poly, MM, or Const.
I know the Portugese, Arabs, and Byzantines (met their galley).
I have 9 cities, 33 pop, 280 culture, horses, iron, and incense.

in 10BC: I entered the MA, but still don't know Rep or Mon.
I know all civs, have 13 cities, 49 pop, 532 culture, horses, iron, incense and soon furs.

I was doing min research (one scientist) on Republic because the AI usually ask a lot of money for it. I bought the other techs from the AIs and several times got them to declare war on me (get out or declare war) so I could get it cheaper (war happiness was much needed too). I have been to war with everyone except Portugal and Aztecs. I think the tech pace has been fast for the AI because they have not declared war on each other yet. During my skirmishes, I obtained Syracuse from Rome; Basra, Muscat, Shiraz, and several settlers from Arabs; and Fez from the Byzantines (I think).

I am posting these 3 saves and I am welcoming any advice. Believe me there is no spoiler information in my maps as my world maps are extremely small (World Maps are very expensive on deity!!!).

Opening Plays

Bleh, 3 civs with Alphabet. Republic slingshot will not be possible, but I should still be first to Philosophy.
Build order is 4 warriors, a settler, then a granary. If I can trade for Pottery early I will move the granary up.

3750BC: Warrior
3550BC: Warrior
3450BC: Find Arab borders

An early granary will be possible, switch Paris to a barracks prebuild

3350BC: Contact Arabs, we are up Masonry and Alphabet. No need to trade right away.
3300BC: Arabs have more gold, they must have contacted someone.
3300BC: Trade Masonry to Arabs for Pottery + 20g
3300BC: Start building granary
3100BC: Contact Portugal
3100BC: Trade Masonry + 10g to Portugal for Bronze Working
3050BC: Assign citizen to gold mountain for 1 turn to delay growth
3000BC: Granary
2750BC: Settler
2630BC: Build first city on furs. (I didn't find the cow until later.)

Worker Moves: S, road, mine, NW, mine, road, SE, N, E, clear forest (no BG :(), N, road, W, road, NW, road, N, clear forest, road, irrigate, NW, clear forest, irrgate, road

Research, Contacts, and Diplomacy

2310BC: Writing

Trade Writing + 11g to Portugal for Iron Working
Trade Writing + 1gpt to Arabia for Warrior Code + Ceremonial Bural + 10g
Trade Iron Working to Arabia for Mysticism

2190BC: Portugese complete the Colossus, triggering their GA :eek:

1790BC: Park my warrior on the gems & iron hill, scaring the Arab settler away. :lol:

1675BC: See Aztec borders
1650BC: Philosophy, but no free tech :(

Trade Philosophy + 2gpt to Arabia for Map Making + 5g
The second continent is probably far ahead of us, so it doesn't make sense to research anymore. I need to send a galley for contacts as soon as possible.

1500BC: Build a city on the west coast and start a galley.
1175BC: Contact Egyptian galley
1125BC: French galley built
1025BC: Contact Aztec galley

Trade 400g + 3gpt to Arabia for Polytheism
Trade Polytheism to Portugal for Mathematics + 31g + ROP
Trade 44gpt to Aztecs for Construction + 3g
Trade Construction to Portugal for The Wheel + Code of Laws
Trade Construction to Arabia for 491g + ROP

1000BC: 10 cities, 5 granaries, 1 barracks

825BC: Trade 22gpt + 200g to Aztecs for Currency
Trade Currency + 209g to Portugal for The Republic
Trade Currency to Arabia for Horseback Riding + 1g

The poor Arabs lost 2 wars with the Portugese so far, and have not bothered me at all. Their culture is almost as bad as mine.

My middle age screenshot is below. Just before ending the turn, I declared war on the Aztecs to cancel my 66gpt debt. :mischief:

Attachments

• davemcw_cotm13_bc825.jpg
    davemcw_cotm13_bc825.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 472
Just before ending the turn, I declared war on the Aztecs to cancel my 66gpt debt.
well, you shot your rep then, good luck for trading from here on.

anyway, I see you guys are all much better than me, I wonder how you guys can get to the MA so much faster :confused:

OPEN: Barbs fix (not that it matters this time)
Goal: Conquest (I think)
Ancient Era update: 4000BC-0750BC

INITIAL GENERAL MOVES (to 1000BC)
War1 – North: 3350BC, Arabia; 2850BC, Portugal; 2510BC, incense way north;
War2 – East: 3350BC, coast & fur; 2070BC – see green territory (across water?); 1350BC – sees more iron that is easier to claim
War3 – fortify to increase science; 2350BC – explore South, discover close incense; 1550BC – finally see the cow to the East
War4 – fortify to increase science; 2230BC – go to Lyons
War5 – go to Orleans; 1870BC – explore East; 1750BC – see iron, now I’m really surprised!!; 1650BC – see Gems in Arabian territory; 1600BC – see Fustat has Gemsx2 & Iron (it must be mine; mine I say!)
War6 – fortify; 1910BC – explore East; 1870BC – sees horses, goes into shock
War7 – go to Orleans; end unhappiness
War8 – fortify; moves for happiness
WarX – moves for happiness
Galley – go toward Aztecs

CITY FOUNDING & CONSTRUCTION (to 1000BC)
FOUNDED - NAME - PRODUCTION DETAILS
4000BC – PARIS (in place) – Warrior (3750BC), Warrior (3550BC), Granary (3050BC), Settler (2750BC), Warrior (2670BC), Warrior (2590BC), Settler (2350BC), Warrior (2270BC), Warrior (2190BC), Settler (1950BC), Warrior (1870BC), Warrior (1790BC), Settler (1625BC), Warrior (1575BC), Warrior (1525BC), Settler (1375BC), Barracks (1225BC), Settler (1075BC), prebuilding Horseman
2670BC – Orleans (2N/1NW) – Granary (1990BC), Settler (1700BC), Barracks (1475BC), Worker (1400BC), Worker (1325BC), prebuilding Horseman
2230BC – Lyons (3SW/1S) – Granary (1300BC), Worker (1175BC), Worker (1050BC), building Barracks
1830BC – Rheims (3W) – Worker (1550BC), Worker (1300BC), Worker (1050BC), building Worker
1625BC – Tours (1N/6NW) – Galley (1125BC), building Galley
1600BC – Marseilles (1E/2NE) – Granary (1225BC), building Barracks
1275BC – Chartres (4E/1NE) – Worker (1050BC), building Worker
1050BC – Avignon (4SE/1E) – building Barracks
1000BC – Besancon (3S/2SE) – building Barracks

DATE
MET CIV

3350BC Arabia (I was building War/War/Bar/Set; but was able to switch from Bar to Gra)
2850BC Portugal (they have all my tech)
1000BC Aztec (in 1125BC notice a town of theirs on ‘my’ continent; should have left a warrior over there)
0900BC Egypt
0750BC Byzantines
0670BC Rome (date shown since it was a pre-req)
0670BC Inca (date shown since it was a pre-req)

TRADES
DATE – CIVILIZATION - DETAILS

3350BC Arabia: Mas for Pot+20g
1870BC Portugal: Wr for Math+TW+8g; Arabia: Wr+8g for BW+CB (decide to do this as I’m now only 3 turns from Philosophy, so they can’t beat me; I have 0g)
1750BC Arabia: Ph for IW+WC+8g; Portugal: Ph for Mys+3g; Arabia: Cur for Poly; Portugal: Cur+Poly for HR
1400BC Portugal: CoL for MM+25g
1375BC Arabia: HR for 20g
1275BC Arabia: CoL because they say so
1000BC Aztec: Cur for 147g (they have Construction, but won’t trade!)
0750BC Byzantines: Cur+70g+11g/t for Con; Portugal: Con for Mon+20g; Arabia: Con for Workers+Gems; Egypt: Mon for Lit+154g;

Resources
Now here I was surprised to see horses and iron in range. I thought Renata would have been mean and not given us anything until saltpeter.
2230BC connect furs
0975BC connect incense
0975BC connect horses
Arabia gets the two irons to the NE. I’ll have to connect the southern one for now.

TECHNOLOGY - DATE/HOW
I was surprised to see 3 civ’s with Alphabet, thought Renata would be nice and give us zero. Beeline to Philosophy at max. I generally stayed at max (or as high as I could) in the AA. Probably should have traded first after getting philosophy and gotten Monarchy, but I didn’t.
Alphabet, 4000BC start
Masonry, 4000BC, start
Pottery, 3350BC, trade Arabia
Writing, 2270BC, research
Mathematics, 1870BC, trade Portugal
The Wheel, 1870BC, trade Portugal
Bronze Working, 1870BC, trade Arabia
Ceremonial Burial, 1870BC, trade Arabia
Philosophy, 1750BC, research
Currency, 1750BC, free tech (dumb move; should have done below trades first)
Warrior Code, 1750BC, trade Arabia
Iron Working, 1750BC, trade Arabia
Mysticism, 1750BC, trade Portugal
Polytheism, 1750BC, trade Arabia
Horseback Riding, 1750BC, trade Portugal
Code of Laws, 1400BC, research
Map Making, 1400BC, trade Portugal
Construction, 0750BC, trade Byzantines
Monarchy, 0750BC, trade Portugal
Literature, 0750BC, trade Egypt
One turn from Republic. Byzantines have Monotheism.

WARS & MAJOR EVENTS
1075BC Temple of Artimis (Arabia) and Great Lighthouse (Portugal) built on my continent; yea! No others of value during the AA built on my continent.

Arabia will most likely be my first attack; I’ll be building horseman after 0975BC for my upgrade to Knights (and hopefully Knights Templar). Key will be to capture the two irons on first wave so they are relatively defenseless. Maybe Portugal will join me and lose some troops so I can secure an entire front before my major turn the other direction, though I fear Gunpowder being discovered before I can get moving too fast.

1000BC, QSC status
9 Cities, 19 Population, 0 Settler, 9 Workers
10 Warriors, 1 Galley
4 Granaries; 2 Barracks
Missing AA Technologies (Construction, Republic, Monarchy, Literature)

@DaveMcW: Excellent job stealing the gems and iron from the Arabs before they could get a city there. That was huge! Also, very nice job trading, as always. I must figure out how you do it... Anyway, I notice in your screenshot that none of your cities have more than 4 citizens. Do you not let your cities get to size 6 for production benefits or settler factories?

Since this was a low-food start, I focused every city on settler production. That pretty much forced me to keep cities small.

1. I only connected 1 luxury, so a size 5 city would require entertainment spending.
2. I didn't have enough workers to improve 5 tiles per city.
3. Every citizen above size 2 means a 5-turn delay in settling my next town. (10-turn if no granary, but I built granaries everywhere.)

I actually kept all cities at size 1-2 (exception: capital at 2-3), until my high-food cities got granaries and grew too fast.

Shillen said:
@Megalou
Shows how much of a crapshoot getting monopoly techs is. You did writing and philosophy before doing math and still got math before the AI. I went straight for Math and the AI beat me to it anyway. But I did get a monopoly on currency while you didn't so I'm not complaining.
Don't forget, they got Polytheism in my game. After that it was a high priority for them to go after Monarchy. So I may have gotten a monopoly on Math, but lost the Monarchy monopoly before I could do anything with it. So while there is some chance in it, a bit of logic is thrown in. BTW, it took a while until I understood what you meant by "crapshoot." :crazyeye: I associated it with a certain overused expression of frustration.

@DaveMcW

Briliant against Arabs. In my game they have the most cities and land (also have a culture over 5x mine), always seem to be the first AI to research something (or get it at the same time) and will clearly be hard to get through as a first major target.

Great on the city building also. I let mine do size 2-4 so I could pump out a little military and see that as a major difference from your blitzkreig expansion.

Excellent work.

C3C 1.22, open

Strategy and goal:
I decide to try peaceful builder game with minimal military. Maybe my strategy would look strange, but it is my first deity game and I wanted to try completely peaceful game for this difficulty to check if it is even possible. I was afraid of early AI attacks, because I usually kept my cities without a defence, however no attacks appeared, just several tribute demands. Of course, I always gave what was demanded. I have also never tried 100k cultural victory, so I will try it now.

Start:
Paris built 2 warriors for exploration, Granary, a lot of settlers. For each new founded city I started with settlers, occasionally also Granary and some warriors for MP.
I have got Pottery from Arabs quite early, but afterwards strange thing happened. My warrior walked onto the Volcano, which erupted and warrior died – I have never noticed that happening :confused: .
I wanted to try The Republic slingshot, but was not successful. When I researched Writing, I wanted to not trade it immediately to be closer to Philosophy than Arabs and Portuguese, but unfortunately, Arabs demanded Writing as a tribute and I gave it away :sad: .
I tried to let the Arabs have enough space for them, so they are happy and tried to enlarge France to the south.

Major achievements till 1000BC:

Techs:
3400BC Pottery (Arabia)
3400BC Ceremonial Burial (Arabia)
2150BC Writing (self researched)
1475BC Code of Laws (self research)
1475BC Mysticism (Arabia)
1475BC Bronze Working (Arabia)
1475BC Mathematics (Arabia)
1475BC Iron Working (Portugal)
1275BC Philosophy (self research)
1275BC Warrior Code (Arabia)
1275BC The Wheel (Portugal)

Cities:
4000BC Paris
2630BC Orleans
2350BC Lyons
1990BC Rheims
1950BC Tours
1650BC Marseilles
1650BC Toures
1400BC Avignon
1400BC Besancon
1350BC Rouen
1325BC Grenoble
1125BC Dijon founded
1125BC Amiens founded
1050BC Cherburg founded

Contacts:
3400BC Arabia
2390BC Portugal

QSC statistics:
14 towns
23 citizens
2 Granaries
5 workers
11 warriors
1 curragh
2 settlers
The Republic to be discovered in 14 turns
2 contacts, 1 embassy
27 gold
QSC score 3532

I have got The Republic in 670BC, but waited with revolution a little bit. The reason was that the production would stop and I needed at least 2 other settlers to acquire the land on southwest corner. Egyptians and Byzantines were approaching there. The revolution started at 610BC and lasted 7 turns. As I was the only one to have The Republic researched I could sell it to all civs right away (I had all contacts by that time). But I waited a little bit again, so that they can revolt later than me, but in the meantime Romans and Byzantines got it also :sad: . So my trades were not so effective.
After researching Literature at 100% I stopped the research and tried to get as much money as possible.

Moderator Action: Deleted references to Middle Ages progress

Questions:
By your experience, do you think I can beat AI in culture?
What is the probability that AI will abuse ROP and attack my undefended cities?
Do you have some experience with totally peaceful games in such difficulty level?
Is it better to concentrate on money or on research? What is more effective?
Thanks for any advice ;) .

PoorAxl

110AD screenshot: Moderator Action: deleted as it shows Middle Ages status

PoorAxl said:
C3C 1.22, open
Questions:
By your experience, do you think I can beat AI in culture?
What is the probability that AI will abuse ROP and attack my undefended cities?
Not a chance to win a peaceful 100k game, if you don't concentrate on getting more cities everywhere you can.
You need a lot more cities than the the AIs to outpace them in culture and then there is still the problem that they just may launch a spaceship.
If there should develop a runaway civ on the other continent, you may have no chance at all for any peaceful win, except diplomacy.

You will very likely be attacked by some civs during this game. Better make sure that they don't get your important cities. It's pretty safe (not 100%), as long as their troops attack somebody else, but returning troops, tempted by empty cities, are very dangerous.

Thanks Klarius,
it seems then, that a cultural win is not a peaceful one.
I must think carefully about my plans. If I stay peaceful, I can have a chance for Diplomatic win, but possibly not 100K. If I start some wars to "collect" more cities, I will probably lose the chance for Diplomatic win and as I am not so familiar with wars, it can be quite risky.
Hard to decide.

Beautiful beautiful game....
So many shields, so many resources...
I am not going to score high in this game, i am just milking it for the love of the game :)
Certainly plays easier than regular diety, but lots of fun to play.

Thanks Renata for providing such an interesting map!

OK. I'm at the beginning of the IA. I need some strategy advice. How soon will there be Hunting Tips for that stage?

Probably in about twelve hours -- I think I'll be out tomorrow night, so I wouldn't be able to do it then.

@dmanakho: I wasn't quite as brave as Cracker was with GOTM14. The first version of the map killed two of the three staff members who attempted it, one of them in the ancient age. And the third only had time to play into the early middle ages, so that was still up in the air. So I figured that was probably too rough. This version has been toned down rather a lot, maybe a smidge more even than I really wanted it to be (I was making changes almost up to the last minute, and I'd take back one of them in particular if I had it to do over again), but I'm glad you're still finding it entertaining.

Renata

Renata: When this is all over, be sure to tell us which change you'd take back. And, some of the thoughts behind it.

Top Bottom