COTM 5 : First Spoiler (End of Ancient Age)

Lord British said:
Open Class

Domination victory achieved in 380AD!! - my quickest to date and also my highest jason score so far, very pleased. :goodjob:

Game: COTM 05
Date submitted: 2004-10-03
Reference number: 5129
Your name: Lord British
Software Version: C3C 1.22f for Windows
Entry class: open
Game status: Domination Victory for Inca
Game date: 380 AD
Firaxis score: 6374
Jason score: 11000+
Time played: 11:59:49

My God what a very fast victory. For a moment I thought that my 4XX AD Domination victory would be one of the fastest. I wonder how many more fast Domination victories we will see. I wouldn't be surprised if someone scored a BC Domination victory. I don't know if it's possible or realistic.

I didn't play this map perfectly but still it's my fastest victory so far.

One thing that took more time for me to execute was the attack on Greece. You attacked them with swordmen but I did it with Medeival infantry. Why? Because Greece = hoplite...

My Jason score: 11000+

Good luck to all who play COTM 5!

Moderator Action: Im sure you meant 'very' ;)

Open

Goal: Domination

I’m not going to manage to pull an ancient ages domination out of the bag, but I’ll definitely try to improve my warring with this game and conquer the world with knights maybe mopping up with cavalry if I need to.

Chapter 1 - Establishing the Inca stronghold

4000 – Send scout 1 square E. See wheat. This was all I needed to convice me to settle on the spot. So I do. Start to prepare settler pump. Send the scout 1 square SW. Start research on The Wheel and prepare my first Chasqui.
3950 – Send scout east.
3750 – Send 1st Chasqui Northwards into the mountains.
3500 – Send 2nd Chasqui west.
3250 – See light green borders to the NW.
3150 – Learn The Wheel. Hmm, no horses. Meet the Greeks. Trade Masonry and The Wheel for Alphabet, BW and 2G. Start researching Writing on max.
2900 – Spot Dark Green to NE.
2800 – Meet Aztecs.
2750 – Give Aztecs Masonry for WC and 10G. Give Greeks WC and pottery for IW. Good, healthy supply of iron around. :)
2590 – Pop hut – get warrior.
2510 – Pop hut – get gold.
2310 – Found Machu Picchu. See Red Borders. Meet Rome. Great, are there are any civs without strong ancient age units around? :mischief:
2150 – Learn Writing. Found Ollantaytambo.
2070 – See Purple Borders.
2030 – Meet India. Give them Mas for CB + a worker + 10G.
1950 – Meet Celts.
1870 – Found Corihuayrachina. Try to say it three times quickly. Can’t do it. :crazyeye:
1830 – Pop hut. Get gold.
1700 – Pop Hut. Get Maps.
1675 – Learn code of laws.
1625 – Found Huamanga.
1600 – Found Vilcas.
1500 – Pull off Rep slingshot. Enter 6 turn Anarchy with 'Big Picture' method, so try again and get another 6 turns :( .
1425 – Found Vilcabama. Meet Japan.
1350 – We are a republic. Give Japanese Writing for Horseback Riding, Mysticism, and 10G. Give Greeks Writing for Math and 2G.
1250 – Meet Carthage.
1050 – Found Andahuaylas.
1025 – Give Aztecs Math and CoL for Mapmaking.

QSC Stats:
11 Cities, 28 pop, 393Gold, 2 settlers, 9 workers, 11 warriors, 2 archers, 2 spears, 2 chasquis and 1 curragh.

975 – Arequipa Found.
900 – Nasca found.
875 – Learn Currency.
800 – Found Atico.
750 – Carthage builds the Colossus.
710 – Found Juli.
650 – Give Pottery to the Japanese for 42G. Establish Aztec Embassy. See they will finish Pyramids in 12 or 13 turns :thumbsup: . Give Aztecs Republic for Polytheism, Construction, and 83G. Enter the Middle Ages. Start moving my horde of Swordsmen towards Azteca :mischief: . The Aztecs are currently in Anarchy.

I’ve timed my advance so that I should be able to take two Aztecs towns + Tenochitilian just as they build the Pyramids. I’m prepared for an easy kill, though I’m a little worried about the Gallic Swordsmen should the Celts get involved. Shouldn’t be too much bother though.

Amazing conquest dates again from some of the elites. I salute you all. :salute:

Attachments

• COTM05 - Inca - ancient.JPG
    COTM05 - Inca - ancient.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 509
Florian K said:
Open

QSC (1000BC)

18 cities
62 population
0 settlers
17 workers
3 slaves
13 Swordsman
1 Spearman
2 Chasqui Scouts
1 Curragh
1 Granary
7 Barracks

Positives

1. Good Start

Indeed I think that can fairly be described as a good start. :goodjob:
How did you do it? Nitty gritty detail please. :coffee: I wish to improve.

I decided to try for a conquest victory.
But nearly everything went wrong. Alexander was there with his hoplites, I lost my scout to a barbarian, all the AI civs were researching the wrong techs, I didn't find a single goodie hut.
I also gifted the greeks into the middle ages to get their free tech (feudalism), but they then refused to trade it to me. I've learnt my lesson now.

Long story short, I've mostly conquered the aztecs, built an FP in their old land, got great wall from Tenochtitlan, built pyramids myself in Cuzco. (and later sun tzu's).

Next target is the greeks now I have medieval infantry.

Attachments

• MA start.JPG
    MA start.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 540
Got Republic in 1400bc 3turns anarchy.First went greece,later rome,india,aztecs,and celts.Scored about 5700 firaxis points and dom victory in 630ad(compared to lordbritish it is not enough)but its my fastest victory in civ3.Not uploaded yet

COTM05_Open

*** Ancient Times ***

4000 BC - Scout E, E, spots Wheat (not the expected Cattle!). Settler founds Cuzco - Granary started. Worker NE. Alphabet started at 100% (30 turns).

3950 BC - Worker mines. Scout E (sees coast), N (sees plains).

3900--> BC - Our Scout continues N, and finds some very bad land (plains, hills, mountains, jungle and marsh).

3600 BC - Worker starts irrigation of Wheat.

3500 BC - Our scout makes contact with the Aztecs (sigh...). They have Warrior Code, which we trade together with their 10 gold for our knowledge of Masonry. Cuzco's boarders expand, revealing more hills and mountains to the SW.

3250 BC - Our Scout opens a goody hut, get maps.

3050 BC - Cuzco starts Barracks after completing Settler.

3000 BC - Having moved NW, our Scout makes contact with Rome. They give us Alphabet (which our scientists were 2 turns away from discovering), Bronze Working and 10 gold for Masonry. We start researching Writing (32 turns @ 100%).

2950 BC - The Scout moves east now.

2900 BC - Tiwanaku founded. We get a Warrior from a hut.

2750 BC - Forest-chopping completes a Chasqui Scout in Cuzco. Settler started.

2710 BC - Our Warrior pops a hut and get a useless map. Our Chasqui Scout is sent W.

2630 BC - Chasqui Scout makes contact with Greece. Cuzco completes Settler, starts Chasqui. The new Settler sets off W, to grab some land from the Greeks.

2550 BC - We give Greece Masonry for The Wheel and 10 gold. No horses are seen except near Rome and UNDER Athens - this Regent game is starting to feel like a challenge after all! We get a map from a hut AGAIN, but at least it shows the location of another hut.

2510 BC - Cuzco completes Chasqui, starts Settler.

2470 BC - Machu Picchu founded, where Barracks are started. Our second Chasqui is scouting S.

2430 BC - Our scout pops another hut, giving us Ceremonial Burial.

2390 BC - Cuzco completes Settler, starts Worker.

2310 BC - Cuzco completes Worker, starts another one.

2230 BC - Cuzco completes Worker, starts Warrior. Cuzco is now a proper 4 turn 5-7 Warrior+Settler factory.

2190 BC - Ollantaytambo founded.

2150 BC - Rome give us Iron Working for The Wheel and Pottery. There are THREE sources of iron visible close to our land!

2110 BC - We discover Writing and start Code of Laws (20 turns).

- At 1990 BC we are in joint lead in score (96 points) with the Aztecs. We also lead on population (31% of total world population). We have 4 Towns, a total of 13 Pop, 1 Settler, 3 Workers, 2 Chasqui Scouts, 1 regular Scout and 3 Warriors. We own two Granaries and 1 Barracks. We are two techs up on each of the three civs we have met, having all of the first-order techs plus Writing and Iron Working. Code of Laws is due in 15 turns.

1910 BC - Corihuayrachina founded. We finally make contact with the Celts, who are already backwards in what looks like an isolated position.

1830 BC - We give the Celts Masonry for 60 gold.

1790 BC - We get 25 gold from a hut.

1700 BC - Huamanga founded.

1650 BC - Our scientists discover Code of Laws, start Philosphy (7 turns).

1500 BC - Philosophy discovered, Republic picked as free tech and revolution initiated. Vilcabamba founded. We trade our knowledge of Writing to the Greeks for Mysticism, and then make contact with India, who give us 40 gold and a Worker for Iron Working. We are now researching Mathematics.

1475 BC - We lose a Chasqui AND a Warrior to Barbarians! Vitcos founded.

1425 BC - Our lone Warrior in Vilcabamba successfully defends the town from an attack of two Barbarian Warriors. Andahuaylas founded.

1375 BC - We are a Republic!

1350 BC - We meet Japan - they have nothing to offer us.

1225 BC - After our switch to Republic we are in some economical troubles: Our army support cost is 38 gpt, which is more than 50% of our GNP! Ica founded. We get a Worker from Japan for Masonry. From the Celts we get a Worker and 85 Gold for Philosophy.

1200 BC - We get Horseback Riding and 8 gold from Japan for Philosophy.

1125 BC - Arequipa founded. We give Horseback Riding to Rome for a Worker and 25 gold.

1100 BC - Nasca founded.

1075 BC - We get Polytheism and 50 gold from Greece for Code of Laws and Philosophy, and we get Map Making from the Aztecs for the same techs.

1050 BC - Atico founded by the Dyes close to the Aztec land.

1000BC - QSC stats:

14 Towns
39 Pop

1 Settler
15 native Workers + 4 foreign Workers
12 veteran Warriors (1 elite)
1 Scout + 1 Chasqui Scout

5 Barracks
1 Temple
2 Granaries

All Ancient age techs except Construction, Literature and Monarchy
Republic Goverment
6 contacts
108 Gold, going -16 gpt for Construction in 9 turns

850 BC - Juli founded.

775 BC - OUR SCIENTISTS DISCOVER CONSTRUCTION, AND WE ENTER THE MIDDLE AGES! Our goal for the immediate future is to attack and destroy Greece with Swordsmen. We have five cities producing Swordsmen (Cuzco is 15 spt, giving a Swordsman every second turn) and we have turned off research for now, giving a surplus of 53 gpt to pay for upgrading some Warriors.

-- Roland

painkiller said:
My God what a very fast victory. For a moment I thought that my 4XX AD Domination victory would be one of the fastest. I wonder how many more fast Domination victories we will see. I wouldn't be surprised if someone scored a BC Domination victory. I don't know if it's possible or realistic.

A BC Domination victory is definitely possible. I managed to achieve:

Your name: Florian K
Game status: Domination Victory for Inca Game date: 130 AD
Firaxis score: 6955
Jason score: 12221
Time played: 15:32:49

However in retrospect I can see where I could have saved the seven turns needed for a BC Domination Victory.

Offa said:
Indeed I think that can fairly be described as a good start. :goodjob:
How did you do it? Nitty gritty detail please. :coffee: I wish to improve.

My log only includes what I've already posted, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help with many more details, but I'll try to remember what I can. I settled in place and had a granary ready by 3350 BC and my first settler by 3200 BC. After that I built a chasqui scout in Cuzco and then a settler every four turns thereafter. My second city was on the coast, so I built a curragh (to help meet the rest of the civs), and then a settler there as well. My third city was to the west on the iron (not that I knew there was iron there at that time). It started building the Forbidden Palace immediately.
I built almost all my cities on fresh water or the coast (either giving the agricultural bonus) thereby increasing their growth.
I also did a lot of micromanagement early on as Cuzco needed it (3 of the 4 turns) on the way to building each settler.
I never took any workers off the land (ie I avoided entertainers or scientists or tax collectoer) because they were unhappy, but adjusted the luxuries each turn to prevent any rioting.
By settling on the furs, I automatically had at least one happy worker each turn, and I quickly build roads to the adjacent cities.
I did lots of irrigating, but did no mining (except for some hills) other than furs to the SW.
I built no units initially (just worker and settlers) except the early curragh and chasqui scout. I would build a warrior in a town if it would be built before the town grew to size two (otherwise I'd build the worker).

I hope this is of some help.

Florian K said:

However in retrospect I can see where I could have saved the seven turns needed for a BC Domination Victory.

WOW :goodjob: , Very impressive. I think thats going to be pretty hard to beat. :)

OUch, 130 AD :S

I'm afraid i'm starting my war too late :(

I'm only at 700BC yet, so there is still 830 years of hope :)

Btw, florian, your QSC stats already included conquered cities right?
edit: hmm reading back it does not. Really impressive. I built 6 granaries all but a few cities on fresh water and still had 5 less citizens after substracting the more workers i have while you had 1 granary.

Florian K said:

That's a really impressive victory date and a tremendous score too. Congratulations. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I'm already curious by how many years my conquest date (410 AD) will be beaten.

Ronald

Going for AAC (ancient age conquest, see COTM5 pre-game discussion for details)

First moves: Scout to the hill, settle at the spot, chop forest to establish a settler factory as fast as possible.

Research: Sling-shot to republic, then I traded iron working and horseback riding from Indians. I received mysticism from a goody hut and the rest of techs that I had at the moment of my victory came from piece negotiations, I took them just because they were given, not because I needed them. For example, I got map making and I even started to build a harbor in one of my cities, but game was over before it was built anyway.

Here is how empire was growing:

I was really unlucky with leaders, I didn’t get any, though at least Celts got one from fighting with me. :sad:

The major lesson learned:
I underestimated the effect of The Temple of Artemis. Initially I was going for a conquest victory, but soon enough I saw myself falling into the domination pattern again. After I captured The Pyramids it become clear that I will win by domination (agricultural trait in combination with The Pyramids is :crazyeye: ). The Temple of Artemis was build by Celts. After I captured it, temples were generated in all my cities. In four turns it resulted in enormous expansion of my territory and a domination victory at 490AD having 69% of world territory. Just a single turn before, at 480AD, I had only 57% of the territory.

If I were to think more reasonably and soberly, I would realize the power of TA and would concentrate my attack on Celtic capital instead of spreading my forces among many other Celtic cities and doing Celtic war so slowly (I was planning on eliminating them, when I actualy needed just their capital which I had to keep only for four turns to get an effect).

I also suspect that I overproduced my units. I think I had too many (~100 horse + some swodsmen and way too many workers). Under Republic I was spending a lot of money to support them. Maybe Monarchy is a better government for this type of games.

@Lord British: I also was thinking that lake travel can be a very good way of traveling, but I did not have map making and I thought that getting it and building galleys is not worth it.

[c3c] Open

This is my first Open game as I realized Conquest did not allow for medal consideration. This is also my first post to the GOTM forums regarding a game. I pour over the spoiler threads to learn more :coffee: and I appreciate everyone's effort. I have recently attempted Regent and Monarch GOTMs and after GOTM35 I feel proud enough of my recent games that I am posting. It was so hard waiting to post my first spoiler post (been in MA since Oct. 2)

It is the 30th Anniversary of the Canadian power-trio Rush, and I have been greatly enjoying the European leg of the tour. Not being able to get the day off work to go to Rotterdam for the final show :wallbash: I decided to commemorate the band by naming all my founded cities after Rush songs. This made the game very fun for me and the weekend just flew me by, playing this great COTM game and enjoying some great music courtesy of Rush. Every city founded or related event will be accompanied by a quote from an appropriate song, I hope everyone enjoys :)

Here is my QSC log with hind-sight commentary

Having read the pre-game discussions, I had decided to go for a cultural victory. I started the game before people started posting about AAC.

Code:
4000BC -- I liked the idea of chopping the forest early on to get a quick Granary build
	  Second COTM in a row with Agri civ, so this time I wanna try for a Settler Pump (I didn't do too badly last time, but might try again)
	  Moving North will get the Sugar, and still all 3 furs and a the 3 BG so that is the plan with the Settler
	  Worker is chopping the Forest
	  Scout to move South

3950BC -- [COLOR=Cyan]"To seek the the sacred river route
	   To walk the caves of ice
	   To break my fast on honeydew
	   And drink the Milk of Paradise

I have heard the whispered tales of Immortality
	   The deepest mystery
	   From an ancient book I took a clue
	   I scaled the frozen mountain tops of Eastern lands unknown
	   Time and man alone
	   Searching for the lost Xanadu"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]Xanadu[/COLOR] Founded, Wheat will also be in radius, very promising
	  Granary in queue, with Chasqui Scout next, if I decide how to use the unit
	  Scout continued South

Ceremonial Burial first, then straight for Philosophy

Sci Rate: 70%, CB: 12 turns, +1 gold/turn

3800BC -- [COLOR=Lime]"Now there's no more Oak oppression
	   For they passed a noble law
	   The Trees are all kept equal
	   By Hatchet, Ax, and Saw" [/COLOR]

Forest chopped down revealing a beautiful Plains tile to be irrigated to 2/2/2 after roading
	  Scout up and over to the West

3550BC -- Scout through the Mountains and to the West Coast

3400BC -- Scout proceeding North just East of erupted Volcano
	  Xanadu's border expands and Granary is 4 turns away!!
	  CB next turn too. 
	  Worker is Mining/Roading BG on way to Wheat

3350BC -- Scout heading North into Athens city limits
	  Greece will trade BW and Alphabet and 10 gold for my Pottery, Masonry and Ceremonial Burial, "[I]why not[/I]?" I say

3300BC -- Greeks ask Scout to leave, will circle back NorthWest side of Xanadu

3250BC -- Granary complete, Settler in production, (6 turns)

Treasury: 32 gold, Sci. Rate: 70%, Writing: 31 turns, +1 gold/turn

Xanadu: 2, Growth: 5, Settler: 6

3150BC -- Scout uncovered Sugar in Plains between Xanadu and Athens
	  The debate has begun about an early elimantion of Greece because it seems like close quaters, or perhaps a life-long friendship to gain from their Scientific trait....hmmmmm

3000BC -- Sparta is founded right smack-dab in the middle of the Suagrs on the River, dilemna solved, they must die. :devil2: 

End of Turn, with their second city, Greek is 2nd for largest civ, Incas are 8th :blush: 

2950BC -- Settler built and heading for newly discovered Lake North of Xanadu

2750BC -- [COLOR=DimGray]La Villa Strangiato[/COLOR] Founded.  Queue: Warrior --> Temple

2710BC -- Chasqui Scout to head North into Mountains, Scout heading South to explore Southeast of Xanadu
	  [COLOR=DimGray]Xanadu[/COLOR] building Settler, then Temple

2630BC -- Prime real estate for a Colossus city to the East of [COLOR=DimGray]Xanadu[/COLOR] found by Scout

2510BC -- Chasqui Scout seems not to have the treats Mountains as Roads benefit, but at least it can still move two tiles through them unlike the other Scout (who incidentally has moved South of Xanadu and will continue further that direction
	  Worker heading over to Plains Fur to chop Forest for a production boost on the Temple

2470BC -- Settler to settle in Colossus site on coast on the Xanadu River delta

2470BC -- Chasqui Scout sees plenty of Dyes up North as well as barbs in the Mountains
	  Better watch the early GA
	  Green borders (Aztecs) in sight
	  Aztecs accept (giving me) WC and 10 gold for CB
	  Greeks do (not have, and they have) no need WC, as far as my plans for them go
	  Aztecs are situated in the Marshes

2390BC -- CS heading due South to avoid barbs
	  Greeks have Iron Working, and I want it.

2310BC -- [COLOR=Cyan]"Everyone would gather 
           On the twenty-fourth of May
           Sitting in the sand
           To watch the fireworks display
           Dancing fires on the beach
           Singing songs together...
           Though it's just a memory
           Some memories last forever

Lakeside Park
           Willows in the breeze
           Lakeside Park
           So many memories
           Laughing rides 
           Midway lights
           Shining stars on summer nights" [/COLOR] 

[COLOR=DimGray]Lakeside Park[/COLOR] founded

2270BC -- Forest cleared in Xanadu

Xanadu: 4, Growth: 4, Temple: 3, --> Settler --> Pyramids
	  La Villa Stangiato: 2, Growth: 8, Temple: 29
	  Lakeside Park: 1, Growth: 6, Warrior: 4

2190BC -- CS has returned North 
          NW of the barb camp and SE of Tenochtitlan are 3 2/2 Zapotec barb Warriors, will head West now
	  Scout heading back towards Greece

Treasury: 71 gold, Sci Rate: 80%, Writing: 4 turns, +1 gold/turn

2110BC -- More barbs near Dyes near Azteca
	  Xanadu building Settler
	  Other cities on Temples still

2070BC -- Writing discovered, 
	  Embassies: Athens: 36 gold (cost), 1 Hoplite, building Settler, 
	       Tenochtitlan: 37, 1 Spearman, building Spearman, has Fruit and 3 Game in limits!

Now is the time to strike!!  But, of course I don't. I am culture :whipped: . 

1990BC -- Discovered last turn that CS's don't get the movement bonus on Volcanoes....that sucks

End of Turn: Behind Carthage, Incas are named 2nd happiest Civ, of course, after listening to all that Rush!
	  Aztecs and Greeks are 4th and 6th respectively

1950BC -- CS heading North through Marshes
	  Scout going West below Athens; Settler heading for site below Xanadu and Lakeside Park

EoT: Scout stumbles upon un unescorted Greek Settler, I didn't know the AI actually did that!!
	  Wish I had a Warrior there right about now

1700BC -- Aztecs also has an unescorted Settler on a Mountain
	  Greece asks Scout to leave at EoT

1750BC -- [COLOR=Cyan]"I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
	   A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel
	   Hoping that the horror with recede
	   Hoping that tomorrow, we'll all be freed"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]Red Sector A[/COLOR] Founded

Unguarded Greece Settler founds Delphi, Warrior on way to protect
	  Scout trapped in culture lines now

Xanadu is number 1 rated city, with pop of 5, Tenochtitlan second with 3

1725BC -- CS heading cautiously West, NW of Tenochtitlan as a barb has just moved North
	  GH spotted for next turn, Philosophy almost discovered, will trade Writing to Greeks next turn

1700BC -- [COLOR=Cyan]"Wheels can take you around, Wheels can cut you down"[/COLOR]

Greece will only trade me Mysticism for Writing, but I tell them to give me Iron Working, [COLOR=Cyan]The Wheel[/COLOR] and all 23 gold, thereby sealing their fate as well as the Aztecs
	  Trading Writing with 2 turns till Philosophy is safe, I figure, especially since I get two resources out of it (Iron and Horses)  :cool: 

Greece has four cities that I can see and on a dead end peninsula (or so I thought, they could still go north to Rome), must push them back before they expand up

Barb followed CS, CS took GH, got maps and headed West again, thereby avoiding a barb triggering my GA

1675BC -- With a Settler in 3 turns after building a Spearman, Pyramids will then start in Xanadu
	  A 3 turn Settler Pump is my best ever.....sweet  (though was not really used solely as a pump)

1650BC -- [COLOR=Lime]"Philosophers and ploughmen
	  Each must know his part
	  To sow a new mentality
	  Closer to the heart"[/COLOR]

Philosophy learned, I took Literature with my free tech and will have Mysticism in 6 turns
	  Temple build in Lakeside Park was switched to Settler next turn as I need more cities to pump out units to conquer

Iron spotted in two locations that I wanted to build anyway, but Horses seem non-existant
	  CS spies red borders (Rome) as heads North in Mountains

1625BC -- Rome has horses and will have Ivory at Veii (after border expansion), but doesn't have Masonry, Writing, Pottery or CB
	  I trade CB for 10 gold and a Worker, nice doing bid-ness witchu Caesar
	  Rome has only one Spearman, hurry up with the Swordsmen!!
	  Rome also has Gold, Wheat and Horses in it's borders.

Trade Writing to Aztecs for Horseback Riding and 10 gold

1600BC -- Hope to build Mausoleum of Mausollos in Xanadu first, then Pyramids, figure I need the extra happiness for a long job, should take 25 turns, but with growth in 2 more turns should be less

CS going around Veii notices that they have 2 Cattle as well
	  Scout making way around Thermopylae

1575BC -- Aztecs have started Pyramids, Xanadu will build MP spearman (2 turns) then start Pyramids
	  CS spots GH for popping next turn South of purple border (India) and East of Veii.

EoT: Greece demanded Literature.  I told them to take a long walk on a short pier.  They got the hint.  :smoke: 

1550BC -- GH popped Maps and revealed Bombay to the North.

1525BC -- [COLOR=Cyan]"It's not as if this barricade
          Blocks the only road,
	  It's not as if you're all alone
          In wanting to explode

Someone set a bad example
          Made surrender seem all right
          The act of a noble warrior
          Who lost the will to fight"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]The Pass[/COLOR] Founded

[COLOR=DimGray]Xanadu[/COLOR] building another Spearman, since new one is escorting the Settler

CS heading East of Bombay to explore India
	  Scout finally through large jungle section near Greece, going North now through Marshes

1475BC -- [COLOR=Lime]"Mystic rhythms
          Capture my thoughts
          Carry them away
          Mysteries of night escape the light of day
          Mystic rhythms
          Under northern lights
          Or the African sun
          Primitive things stir
          The hearts of everyone

Mystic rhythms 
          Capture my thoughts
          Carry them away
          Nature seems to spin
          A supernatural way
          Mystic rhythms
          Under city lights
          Or a canopy of stars
          We feel the powers and wonder what they are"[/COLOR]

Mysticism dsicovered, on to Polytheism

Forgot to contact India before, they have no knowledge of Masonry, The Wheel, Writing, Mysticism, Warrior Code, or Pottery...Pathetic :lol: 

Treasury: 46 gold, Sci. Rate: 70%, Polytheism: 20 turns, +2 gold/turn

1450BC -- [COLOR=Cyan]"We're on the train to Bangkok,
	  Aboard the Thailand Express,
	  We'll hit the stops along the way,
	  We only stop for the best"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]A Passage to Bangkok[/COLOR] Founded

1425BC -- Barb parked out near [COLOR=DimGray]Red Sector A[/COLOR] moved towards [COLOR=DimGray]A Passage to Bangkok[/COLOR], but the Spearman will be there in time

Xanadu: 6, Growth: 3, Pyramids: 35
	  La Villa Strangiato: 3, Growth: 2, Settler: 3
	  Lakeside Park: 2, Growth: 1, Temple: 13
	  Red Sector A: 2, Growth: 7, Worker: 2
	  The Pass: 1, Growth: 6, Warrior: 1
	  A Passage to Bangkok: 1, Growth: 9, Temple: 29

1400BC -- CS due North of Tenochtitlan, spies Aztec, 3/3 Warrior with Settler, near an Indian city that has Silks.
	  Barb between [COLOR=DimGray]Rec Sector A[/COLOR] and [COLOR=DimGray]Passage to Bangkok[/COLOR] moving NW
	  Another barb has been travelling South on Mountain Range between Xanadu and Sparta

1350BC -- CS moving South just West of Teotihuacan, spies GH North of Volcano where 3, 2/2 Anasazi barbs are fortified
	  Hitting this GH could risk a GA

Settler from [COLOR=DimGray]La Villa[/COLOR], heads towards Dyes to build city nearby...Luxuries are needed soon

Xanadu: 7, Growth: 30, Pyramids: 29
	  La Villa Strangiato: 2, Growth: 6, Oracle: 150
	  Lakeside Park: 3, Growth: 8, Temple: 5
	  Red Sector A: 1, Growth: 4, Temple: ?
	  The Pass: 1, Growth: 3, Worker: 3
	  A Passage to Bangkok: 1, Growth: 6, Temple: 26

This is the conitnuation of the previous installment:
Code:
1325BC -- CS drafts a Consript Warrior, will fortify him near barb Volcano
	  CS moves West, will return to head NOrth into India

1250BC -- Greece is building Temple of Artemis, I will have the tech in 6 turns, not worried about building it either
	  2/2 Warrior knocks off one of the 3 barbs (now on Mountain MW of Volcano)

CS, NE still; while Scout is North of Greece, many Greek and Roman Warriors and the odd Settler just SW of Rome

Aztecs have build near the Dyes, Settler to head East with Warrior escort and will get other Dyes along with BG and Volcano in city radius.
	  Spearman in Passage to Bangkok, 4/4 kills off 2/2 barb camped out on Iron

1225BC -- 2/2 Warrior takes out 2/2 barb near Mount Popacatapetl (the Volcano near Teotihuacan)
	  Settler will head East to Dyes now that Warrior has caught up
   	  Spearman moves back in to Passage to Bangkok

1200BC -- Greeks are building the Oracle
	  2/2 Warrior falls upon attacking the last barb at Mount Popacatapetl
	  CS discovers the Celts, a warrior on a Mounatin and the city of Verulamium, will have Horses and Iron in borders

1175BC -- 3/3 Warrior takes out camp NE of [COLOR=DimGray]The Pass [/COLOR] receiving 25 gold from the Chinook tribe and Settler moves closer to city site
	  Celts are missing Alphabet postrequisites, they have 69 gold
	  Entremont: 51 gold for embassy, one Spearman, one Setter, another in 6, only a Palace
	  Forgot about getting an embassy in Dehli, next time

1150BC -- Knossos has been founded South of Delphi and 4-5 tiles NW of the Passage to Bangkok
	  EoT: Iron connected!  Here we go!!
	  Polytheism discovered, onto Monarchy

1125BC -- [COLOR=Cyan]"There is trouble in the Forest
	   There is trouble with the Trees
	   For the Maples want more sunlight
	   And the Oaks ignore their pleas"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]The Trees[/COLOR] founded

EoT: Rome asks Scout to leave territory near their Tundra cities on the NOrth coast of Antium, they still are quite behind in Techs

1075BC -- Workers from Iron connection helping to Irrigate and Road La Villa Strangiato, eventually Road to the Dyes in The Trees, once the barb sitting there is removed

EoT: There is still barb running South on the Mountain Range between Greece and the Inca Kingdom

1050BC -- Delhi: 52 gold for Embassy, one Spearman, Settler 1 turn

1000BC -- CS West to Eastern shore next to a barb camp, debating triggering a GA next turn, (they might do it too)
	  Try to save for Monarchy
	  Scout in Rome returning home to be dispanded for shield boost

Xanadu: 7, Growth: 16, Pyramids: 15
	  La Villa Strangiato: 4, Growth: 9, Oracle: 52
	  Lakeside Park: 4, Growth: 4, Colossus: 25
	  Red Sector A: 3, Growth: 10, Temple: 9
	  The Pass: 2, Growth: 9, Barracks: 13
	  A Passage to Bangkok: 2, Growth: 2, Temple: 12
	  The Trees: 1, Growth: 5, Temple: 55

Treasury: 22 gold, Sci. Rate: 70%, Monarchy: 22 turns, +4 gold/turn

Army: 4 Workers, 1 Slave, 4 Spearman, 4 Warriors, soon to be upgraded to Swordsmen, one of each type of Scout	  

X[COLOR=DimGray]anadu[/COLOR] #1 city, Incas lead in Population, GNP, Mnf Goods, Literacy, Life Expectancy, Pollution, Annual Income and Productivity, Ahead of Greece by two points in Score.

This ended my more detailed log for the QSC, I did continue for a bit:

Code:
670BC -- Pyramids built in Xanadu

610BC -- Turn down trade with Celts of Literature for MM, not much point, I want GL and don't want them to have the chance to build that or Libraries.  Same reason I didn't trade with anyone else

490BC -- "[COLOR=Cyan]Now's the time to turn the tide
	  Now's the time to fight
	  Let us not go gently
	  To the endless winter night
	  Now's the time to make the time
	  While hope is still in sight
	  Let us not go gently
	  To the endless winter night"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]Red Tide[/COLOR] Founded

Xanadu: 8, Growth: 2, Temple of Artemis: 28 --> Library
	  La Villa Strangiato: 6, Growth: 1, Oracle: 18
	  Lakeside Park: 6, Growth: 11, Colossus: 2 --> Library
	  Red Sector A: 5, Growth: 2, Great Library: 64
	  The Pass: 4, Growth: 6, Temple: 14
	  A Passage to Bangkok: 3, Growth: 5, Barracks: 11
	  The Trees: 4, Growth: --, Temple: 33
	  Red Tide: 1, Growth: 10, Temple: 60

490BC -- Oracle built in Kyoto

470BC -- Colossus built in [COLOR=DimGray]Lakeside Park[/COLOR]
	 Incas enter a Golden Age

430BC -- Mausoleum of Mausollos constructed in [COLOR=DimGray]La Villa Strangiato[/COLOR], giving that city the happiness boost it would need to become a large city and increase production

310BC -- Xanadu: 9, Growth: --, Temple of Artemis: 16 --> Hanging Gardens
	 La Villa Strangiato: 7, Growth: 8, Library: 1 --> Great Wall
	 Lakeside Park: 6, Growth: 2, Library: 1 --> Palace prebuild for Great Lighthouse
	 Red Sector A: 6, Growth: --, Great Library: 34 --> Aquaduct (only city so far that will need one, The Trees, next)
	 The Pass: 5, Growth: --, Temple: 4
	 A Passage to Bangkok: 4, Growth: 1, Spearman: 11 --> Spearman
	 The Trees: 4, Growth: 3, Temple: 18
	 Red Tide: 1, Growth: 1, Library: 32

250BC -- With 1 turn left until MM, trade with India, Horseback Riding for MM and all of their 14 gold
	 All other civs have CoL, but I am not ready to trade Literature, Monarchy or Construction just yet, until various Wonders have been built

70BC -- Temple of Artemis built in Tenochtitlan, that is now my target, hopefully I can take over the city early enough to still gain the culture, +4 per turn 

50BC -- [COLOR=Lime]"Held within the Pleasure Dome
	 Decreed by Kubla Khan
	 To taste my bitter triumph
	 As a mad immortal man
	 Nevermore shall I return
	 Escape these caves of ice
	 For I have dined on honeydew
	 And drunk the milk of Paradise"[/COLOR]

Hanging Gardens built in [COLOR=DimGray]Xanadu[/COLOR]
	Greeks settled for Great Wall

Glad I didn't trade Literature, because I can keep building GL in [COLOR=DimGray]Red Sector A and not worry about Greece swtiched to it instead of GW
	La Villa Strangiato[/COLOR] had to build a Colosseum for a waste of 60 shields or so

90AD -- Celts try to extort Literature, I say [I]take a hike[/I] :nono: , they declare war, Let's get'em. Got 2 Elite Swordsmen from barb farming and 2-3 Vet Swordsmen, with 2 in production

Here's where it gets a little blurry, didn't note anything for a while, likely because I was so engrossed with safely expanding, micromanaging and deciding military courses of action
I got CoL, and started researching Fuedalism, somewhere around here :mischief: 

260AD -- Xanadu: 10, Growth: 4, Great Library: 18 (switched the build to here so I can get the 6 culture per turn hopefully)
	 La Villa Strangiato: 9, Growth: 20, Palace: 20 (prebuild to Leonardo's)
	 Lakeside Park: 8, Growth: 2, Harbor: 6
	 Red Sector A: 6, Growth: --, Art of War: 39 --> Aquaduct
	 The Pass: 7, Growth: --, Pikeman: 5
	 A Passage to Bangkok: 6, Growth: --, Mid Infantry: 2
	 The Trees: 6, Growth: --, Aquaduct: 12 --> Library
	 Red Tide: 5, Growth: --, Library: 20 

EoT: Carthaginians built Great Lighthouse 
         Romans threaten for Literature, I say [I]buzz off[/I], they go to war with me, Bring it on, I say 

280AD -- Asked Aztecs to leave [COLOR=DimGray]The Trees[/COLOR], they declared war (that's the Celts, Romans and Aztecs all at war with me now) :shakehead: 
	 Elite Swordman attacks, takes two Slaves after JW retreats, 1/3

300AD -- Aztec Spearman lands North of [COLOR=DimGray]Lakeside Park[/COLOR], 3/3 MI comes South takes him out and is poromoted
	 3 3/3 Celtic Archers approaching [COLOR=DimGray]The Trees [/COLOR] as well as Aztec JW and Archer, both 3/3
	 Upgraded 3 more Swordmen to MI have 4 4/4 ready to deploy from [COLOR=DimGray]The Pass [/COLOR] next turn, well one is ready now
	 Plus a Pikeman and MI from Bongkok

[COLOR=Red]"There's no bread, let them eat cake
	 There's no end to what they'll take
	 Flaunt the fruits of noble birth
	 Wash the salt into the earth

But they're marching to Bastille Day
	 La guillotine will claim her bloody prize
	 Free the dungeons of the innocent
	 The king will kneel and let his kingdom rise"[/COLOR]

With no one building building the Great Library, and with 15 turns to go, now is time to revolt and change to Monarchy so as to not waste prebuild in [COLOR=DimGray]La Villa Strangiato [/COLOR] or [COLOR=DimGray]Red Sector A[/COLOR] (building Art of War).  I figure a faster tech rate with a little micromanaging to slow production will time two Wonders built ahead of others.

330AD -- Aztecs bringing in some Elite Spearmen
	 How ironic is it to have WLTKD during Anarchy? :wow:  :lol: 
	 Elite Swordsmen, making quick work of JWs at the border of Tlaxcala and [COLOR=DimGray]The Trees[/COLOR], no MGL yet.

350AD -- Aztecs wants peace all of a sudden, but are not willing to give anything in terms of the cities on the East coast nor any gold, let the war continue, I say :p 
	 Many Celt Archers on their way.

EoT: Incan Monarchy established

That pretty much summaries what I can mention here. I will see if I can post a screenshot....would really like two, but don't know how. :blush: In the game, I hit Print Screen or something, but I am not sure which directory they go to. Do I need a good program to crop it and stuff? or would Paint do the trick? If someone PMs me, then I will edit this post once I know how to do it....Thanks.

@WilliamOfOrange:
Print Screen puts the image of your entire screen on the clipboard. You then open an empty Paint document and select Edit/Paste. Edit and scale the image to fit in less than 800 pixels width and save it as a .jpg file. Do it twice if you have two images to create.

If you have only one image, edit your post and click Manage Attachments beneath the editor area. Upload the image file and you're done. If you have more than one image you need to upload the to the server and add links in your post as follows.

At the bottom of the forum pages is a link to Upload Files. Upload your two files and make a note of teh URLs they are at on te forum server - something like "http://forums.civfanatics.com.uploads8/your_file_name.jpg".

Edit your post and insert "[img]http://forums.civfanatics.com.uploads8/your_file_name.jpg[/img]" where you want each of your files to appear - replacing the file name with yours, of course. Update your post and your images should appear.

Wow! the scores and progress is amazing! I will certainly falter in my second COTM I'm no where near what you guys are Great job!

I was going to say you can look forward to my report tomorrow but with the amazing things I've just read I doubt any of you will be amazed by my meager progress.

@Alan - Any guess as to when the COTM04 scores will be posted?

Florian K said:

It seems that this map is way to easy. Now that you almost managed a BC Domination victory I'm certain that one or two players will score a Domination before Jesus is born...

Anyway... Your score is outstanding. Well played! :goodjob:

I played the map in just under 9 hours, doing almost no micromanagement.
Completed my granary in 3400 BC and my first settler was ready in 3100 BC.
Became a republic in 1500 BC and by 1000 BC I had 19 cities, 4 settlers, don't know how many workers... Started my first war in 350 BC and 51 turns later I got my domination.

Domination victory:
Game date: 460 AD
Firaxis score: 5811
Jason score: 11052
Time played: 08:57:35

painkiller said:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone scored a BC Domination victory.
A BC Conquest victory is definitely theoretically possible on this map!

I've just submitted. Haven't written my spoiler yet, probably won't get it finished till at least tomorrow. I got an AAC conquest victory in 250AD. If I'd been willing to break peace deals I could have gained at least 7 or 8 turns, perhaps more. And in hindsight I can see how I could have gained 2 turns at the end and I think at least 5 by approaching things differently early on. I don't know if a BC conquest is realistic though. We'll see as more people report in :)

Thats impressive Sirpleb. I played the game again just for fun and tried the AAC and even with knowledge of the map I didn't come close to your date! :)
I don't think an AAC conquest is possible in the BC's in this game(maybe a conquest with normal research using knights and med. infantry is), mainly due to a certain civ. who slows things down towards the end. ;) I would love to know how quick you could have reached domination - obviously in the BC's.

Look forward to your spoilers :goodjob:

Top Bottom