[C3C] COTM152 Celts, Demigod -- Spoilers

... we received an army from a GH ...

It looks like the "pop a worker, not a settler" fix didn't work out this time.

My game would have been a lot more relaxing if I'd gotten an army 2000 years earlier.

Beats me. I've never seen such a thing before. I'm not much of a modder.

I do remember a COTM from long ago where, accidentally, the SoZ gave boats and KT gave ancient cavalry, though. Accidentally changing which units are given must not be that hard to do. I suspect that something changed when the extra starting unit was added, somehow swapping the army for the warrior or worker (settler). It would be easy to miss in play testing, since there weren't that many huts that the player might be expected to pop - I think I popped 4, getting maps twice, a tech once, and barbs the first time, before remembering not to pop them with warriors.

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

Industrial Age Update:

I decided to go for a cultural victory. I build universities and cathedrals everywhere. My people were so happy. Then in one or two turns the whole world turned against me and everyone declared war. I was overrun in three or four turns. I expected defeat, but the hammer fell harder and faster than I thought it would.

Second COTM here.
I achieved a space race victory in ~1650 AD because I felt it required the least micro towards the end. I definitely could have milked the game more.
This game would have been too difficult without heavily crippling the run-away neighbors with blitz military tactics and having the entire world gang up.
I only began really teching in the modern age, I found it much easier to steal techs by sacking the Great Library and using the steal-tech embassy.
I liked this game because it gave me a run for my money in the industrial age, where in most cases the game would already be decided.
I also liked it because the game forced me to be a builder too.
Celts was a really good choice.

after managing to reinstall the game on my new laptop and under win10, i dl´ed the game and played a few turns. everything just fine. i won´t be able to finish a large map, so i abandoned it again.

however, i want to report that i indeed popped a settler from a hut when founding the 4th town.

t_x

I can't explain all these spurious poppings. Everything seems to be normal in the editor.

I can only hope that it is the same for all players.

Yeah I got a settler from a hut early on. Glad that it seems to be consistent, so that I didn't get such a big advantage from it. Either way Celts are OP for early game.

Well, I got nothing very helpful, but I suspect it won't change how the game plays out for me. (I'm in the industrial age, so I qualify for this spoiler, but I'm not done yet.)

I wish I was more able to do micro-management. I'm not patient enough to write up the game turn-by-turn but here's roughly what I did:
First thirty turns: Built a bunch of cities, tried to prevent Egypt from getting too large.
Egypt didn't have iron! Which meant they were pretty weak. They didn't even have .
I amassed 20-25 GS and then rushed Egypt. Got the Hanging Gardens in Egypt's capitol.
After destroying Egypt (1 civ down - 7 to go) Then I signed a bunch of ROP's in order to move all my troops to the edge of Rome in Persia's borders. I declared war on Rome (not ROP rape - my troops were all in Persian land). They had just developed gunpowder. But my stack of 35 GS was able to annihilate Rome and take the Great Library for one turn to catch up on techs. This got me to chemistry on the bottom tree and education on the top tree. In order to avoid the whole world ganging up on me, I signed everyone to war with Rome.
By now all of the AI civs were in Democracy and I was in Republic.
I didn't mind the extremely fast tech rate because I had enough AI's to reliably steal techs from. I was an economic powerhouse with Marketplaces and Courthouses and by now Banks in most cities - I didn't waste my time with temples or libraries.
I then declared war on Greece. I captured Sparta, and then in two turns Sparta flipped to PERSIA! This means war!
By now Persia was the most powerful on the map and in the center. All of a sudden Persia makes a demand which I give into and ON THE SAME TURN enters my territory towards an undefended city with 10-20 cavalry. I successfully steal Communism from them and then declare war, drafting a few rifleman for border security. The map was very generous in that it had a natural choke point which I defended for most of the game after getting rid of Egypt. I signed everyone onto war with Persia, and they only lasted like 15 turns even with Infantry!
The next biggest power was Babylon, taking up a huge amount of land.
In order to ensure victory, I built 7 modern armor armies and pruned away at Babylon, razing their cities left and right, which was growing very powerful and in the modern age.
I could have milked this game more or built more libraries to speed up tech towards the end but I was happy with my 1700 AD finish. The Internet did help though late game.

Just finished an epic struggle. Seemed like every ray of hope (not many of those, clouds reigned) was offset by downpours. I'm sure I will not have a great game score, but with C19 cramping my singing, dancing, and other social activities, I'll gather some details about my struggle for entertainment.
P.S., Bluebox, Never would have guessed an Army could be popped. Was it an expert unit pop, territory pop, or just some blind Joe that just stumbled into the hut?

Turn 1:
Our settler party disembarked from our small river craft when we saw our leader waving from a nearby mountain. From his trek through lush forests to a mountain vista, he had chosen our first settlement site. Unfortunately, we didn't realize he wanted us to settle on the other side of the river, which he deemed safer from attack, and a good distance from another promising settlement location to the north shore of a small lake. I crossed the river alone to settle SE, while my companion began work on a road where we had first placed our feet on clear land.

Turn 12:
Our leader Dave joined us with news of a gold littered mountain and nearby native hut. With winter fast approaching and a meager supply of grains to sustain us, yet filled with optimism, we dug a foundation and started work on a Granary to store the bountiful crops we anticipated we would reap the following fall. A second worker made his way upriver to join the first in felling wood and gathering furs tor winter warmth.

Turn 16:
Concerned with native unrest, we are building a Barrack with some of the cut timbers to house and train an adequate military.

Turn 30:
Thank God Spring has arrived! With the river thawed and flowing again, a newly arrived Settler and our first well trained Spearman are on their way setlle past the lake.

Turn 34:
Founded Alesia. Building a Temple to our Almighty God who saw us through the long winter. A nearby native may think he can overcome our superior might!

Turn 40:
Our newest Settler just met an Egyptian Settler party who had just crossed the weatfields we had seeded. Must be friendly, else they would have ignored our claim stakes we had placed around our open farmland.

Turn 42:
Settled our farmland. No sign of that earlier Egyptian Settler party. Did they succumb to native aggression? Were they banished from their homeland, wherever that is? Does nomadic blood flow in their veins?

Turn 50:
Yearly harvests have been plentiful. Our scribes are secretly completing a written language syntax and alphabet to facilitate trade, and will announce it at our very next festival, to be held in conjunction with the establishment of our next settlement, on a hill side nearly due north of Alesia, and next to an Egyptian setllement partially visible to the east. Another Settler has just headed westward as we continue to expand our territory. We now also know that the Egyptian Settler party to our south survived and settled S4E of our Capitol. Our weapons experts are learning how to use our iron to build deadly razor edged swords. As a test, they have instituted a right of passage for our youth that will teach them the folly of cutting hair!

Turn 57:
Those nomadic Egyptians have trespassed once too often. We declare war, capturing their Settler and initiating the celebration of a Golden Age of military conquest.

Turn 80:
Having leveled the Egyptian settlement at S4E and restored peace, we prepared to complete our settlement of unoccupied lands to our south, east and west with three Settlers already on their way. A Roman ship which had trespassed through territorial waters of our western most city unwisely landed a Settler party between two of our Gaelic Swordsmen at Turn 78. They paid the ultimate price as we declared war upon the Romans.

As we celebrate the start of a new century, we take measure of our first 5000 years of Civilization:
Land: 112 Cities: 7 Tech: BW>IW; M; A>W>P,CL; P; CB Pop: 16 Units: 35 Cult: 384 (14pT
Gov: Desp Economy: I35 E37 S21 Wonders: None (Only Col, GL, HG left in this age)
Tech is severely lagging: : At least Wh, WC, Mys, Math, MM, Con known by other CIVs

Future Outlook: Good expansion start at risk due to weak military and tech development. Survival at risk in war with Rome, especially if Egypt or other civilizations join forces against us.

Reduced Egypt to a shadow of its past, accepted enough techs to reach MA in exchange for peace. Then Egypt got GLib and was attacked by Rome, whose fores marched uninvited through my territory. They capture a city reducing Egypt to their Capitol, before their attack stalled. While Rome was sending reinforcements, I initiated any quickly captured Egypt, gathering another bunch of Techs, though not as many as I thought I should. Post game, I investigated that anomaly. It appears that I only got techs known by those with whom I had trade routes, not with all the AI's I knew and could barter techs. Not what the CIV3 documentation says! When in my investigation I sent out a galley to clear some fog, I got all the techs I expected except PP.

Still far behind in Tech, but with a strong military, I did what I could to help the weaker AI's and hurt the strongest AI. When I realized my survival would end with a Space Race defeat, I turned on the weak. That done, I turned on the strong, plowing my way to their capitol cities to presumably wipe out some rocket components. Success, domination.

upload_2020-9-27_0-39-5.png

Half of the submissions are from the past few days, I wonder what victory condition most people went for

Well, I finally finished my game, going for domination as time was running short. I'd been toying with 100k, but I didn't have enough real-life time to spend on it.

Top Bottom