"could not open file for writing"

wtiberon

One man who stands alone
out of the blue this error appears every time I attempt to alter a scenerio. It still executes the commands but it says "could not open file for writing" every time and its very annoying. Can anyone help short of reinstalling?

I'm not sure if theres a civ-specific way to fix it, perhaps you should post the .biq so that other people can try and see if they get the same error?

Having two editor windows open causes that. Doesn't really affect anything AFAIK, it's just annoying.

If the message pops up even though there's only one editor window open, I can't tell what's causing it.

Well it would do it if any two programs were using the same file, so if maptweaker or some other Civ utility was using the .biq I imagine it would do that; I suppose I shouldn't have assumed it wasn't that simple, though...

ok thanks drift that was it.

It's because civedit can't create the temp files for undoing stuff (civedit creates a folder called temp in the civ folder when anything is changed, it deletes the temp folder everytime you quit it. So, if it crashes for some reason remember to make a copy of the newest file in the temp folder before reloading civedit ;)). Either something is using the files or you've run out of diskspace.

Thanks guys. I get this all the time with the Mystara biq, but never paid much attention to it since my mod always worked anyway.

It doesn't do anything to it. Click ok and go on.

Top Bottom