Crash when moving units over a particular region of the map

EEE_BOY

Deity
On this turn in the attached save file, the game crashes, when the embarked archaeologist is moved or caravel is moved or the embarked Gatling gun is moved further to the west. It seems like a particular region of the map causes this crash. Not sure if it is the problem of my computer memory, but unlikely.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0161 AD-1680.Civ5Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
I have exactly the same problem. I have had it a few times already, but I have been able to go around the hexes that cause the crash. Thus far I have only ran to the problem with embarked units. Here is my save and a screenshot of how to replicate the crash.

I hope this gets fixed soon. It is starting to get annoying loading up the game constantly trying to find a hex that doesn't send you back to the desktop ;)

Attachments

• BNW-India-temp 2.Civ5Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • how_to_crash_the_game.jpg
    how_to_crash_the_game.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 550
Thank you for the saves. We're taking a look now.

Update: It appears to be related to the world wrap (you can see the line in the fog and water if you look closely), although it's not crashing for me when playing in retail. Do you happen to have a .mdmp file in your Civ V root folder that corresponds to the date and time of your crash?

Mine is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\

Thank you for the saves. We're taking a look now.

Update: It appears to be related to the world wrap (you can see the line in the fog and water if you look closely), although it's not crashing for me when playing in retail. Do you happen to have a .mdmp file in your Civ V root folder that corresponds to the date and time of your crash?

Mine is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\

Here's mine

Attachments

• civilizationv_dx11_379995_crash_2013_7_12T12_5_6C0.zip
    26 KB · Views: 98
Hello, same issue here. For me it is only specific units. My battleships and carriers can traverse the world wra without issue but destroyers and embarked units crash the game. I noticed when a valid unit moved across the world wrap there was a "wake" animation played as if the unit moved through water, however when the unit crossed the world wrap the wake animation played in reverse, as if the unit had just moved against its direction of travel.

Here are my files:

Attachments

• civilizationv_dx11_379995_crash_2013_7_21T23_15_43C0.zip
    46.9 KB · Views: 90
  • MyCiv5Save.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
This is extremely frustrating as the game is now broken for me after industrial era... This happens in all my games and a fix or workaround is needed please.

Here is one of the same kind.
The game crashes when moving the scout on ocean southwest over the wrap line.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0257 AD-1735.Civ5Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • civilizationv_dx11_379995_crash_2013_7_27T7_22_15C0.zip
    30.2 KB · Views: 111
  • civilizationv_dx11_379995_crash_2013_7_27T7_34_31C0.zip
    32 KB · Views: 84
I moved the scout to other direction and continued the game.
I moved the caravel over the wrap line from other direction. That went well.
Then I moved the scout more south and when it moves over the wrap the game crashes again.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0273 AD-1806.Civ5Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
  • civilizationv_dx11_379995_crash_2013_7_27T8_30_35C0.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 62
I also have the problem. I finished one game just fine on a small sized map, but now that I'm playing a huge one I crash on various tiles. All are in the water, but one is particularly strange since I only crash there when I embark my unit from the city adjacent to it right into the water. If I move the unit one tile out of the city first and then into the water, it works. Since the tiles are on various spots on the map, it shouldn't be the world wrap. I also noticed that some tiles appear to be hills based on how the terrain looks, but in reality they aren't.

PS: After close examination, all tiles *are* at the world wrap. The problem is in my opinion related to moving a unit, most likely an embarked one, over the world wrap line into a water tile, either from land to water or from water to water. I hope you'll find the exact problem soon and will be able to fix it. Thanks for checking the forums here and keeping us up-to-date! :king:

I've had the exact same problem, also with Huge map crossing an embarked unit over the wrap line (Terra map). That makes exploring and settling the New World extremely frustrating. Please fix it ASAP.

There is apparently a work-around...according to this thread the crash doesn't happen if you cross the world-wrap line in strategic mode.

Someone also suggests that it's related to the fog of war, stating that if they carefully clear the fog before crossing the world wrap, then the crash does not occur.

I'm on this too, same thing. 1 unit crossed over and it crashed the game. I used an autosave and it worked for awhile.

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.3.18, time stamp: 0x51c2ef3f
Faulting module name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.3.18, time stamp: 0x51c2ef3f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x004efea2
Faulting process id: 0x2e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8e66954a9598
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
Report Id: 892256d1-fa5a-11e2-be71-3085a992cf44
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

There is apparently a work-around...according to this thread the crash doesn't happen if you cross the world-wrap line in strategic mode.

Someone also suggests that it's related to the fog of war, stating that if they carefully clear the fog before crossing the world wrap, then the crash does not occur.

I just tried it in strategic mode and the game crashed anyway. This is a pretty significant bug; I can't believe they haven't provided a patch for it yet.

I had the same problem. Playing in Dx9 mode fixed it (BTW, when I loaded Dx9 mode first time, I have not changed the graphics setting and, boy, I did not expect that Civ5 can be THAT ugly).

may be a caravan or a barbarian or a culture>policy bug that is caused by a "burn baby burn" city.
try postponing the raze for at least 1 turn.
This worked for my crushed game.

Ok, I know I'm doing thread necromancy here, but was this bug ever fixed? I've played a couple of games on the Terra map - never used this map before - and suddenly I start to have crashes right around the time of Renaissance era once people start researching Navigation. I thought it might be mod related, but since the mods I use didn't give these crashes before, and I stumbled across this topic, I figured it might be related to this issue, since it would fit the time where people start embarking units and send them cross ocean. Can anybody shed light on this question?

EDIT > Ok, found this interesting tidbit of information in a post over at the 2K forum ... gonna try to change this to see if that does indeed make a difference!

Actually... Try editing the Terra map size. The problem maybe that it's not the right ratio. I have edited a map bigger than the 'allowed' size and it seems to work fine. it's 160 x 112. the terra map is 152 x 96. I think that's the problem. A 10:7 ratio or flat integer ratio seems to be the most stable. It seems to work better if the ratio is only whole numbers. edit the numbers in the terra.lua to have a 10:7 ratio and see if that helps.

Top Bottom