Crash while loading Rise from Erebus

dfnehring

Chieftain
My laptop (Vista 32 bit) has no trouble running Fall from Heaven 2. The game immediately crashes to desktop when I try to load Rise from Erebus. I have tried to load it with user account control on and off, which has not made a difference. My install order is Civ 4 + latest patch + BTS + latest patch + Fall from Heaven 2 + latest patch + Rise from Erebus; no other mods installed. Does anybody know how to dix this?

If you go into the Mod folder. Go into Rise from Erebus/Assets/XML/Civilizations and then open the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml file, in NotePad. Scroll down until you find the entry for the Jotnar. There are a few places where there is a tag <UnitClass> followed by a name that does not match.

Find this code in the Jotnar entry:
Code:
<Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNIT_HIGH_PRIEST_OF_LEAVES</UnitClassType>
	<UnitType>NONE</UnitType>
</Unit>
<Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNIT_KITHRA</UnitClassType>
</Unit>
<Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNIT_YVAIN</UnitClassType>
</Unit>
<Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNIT_SATYR</UnitClassType>
</Unit>

And change it to this:
Code:
<Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_HIGH_PRIEST_OF_LEAVES</UnitClassType>
</Unit>
<Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_KITHRA</UnitClassType>
</Unit>
<Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_YVAIN</UnitClassType>
</Unit>
<Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SATYR</UnitClassType>
</Unit>

Swinkscalibur's solution doesn't seem to work for me. After correcting the codes , it still won't load. I've had no problems with 'Fall From Heaven' the last 2 years , even in it's Beta versions.

Perhaps, try a fresh install of RifE and the latest flavor patch. Then follow it up with the code fix I mentioned, if this doesn't help I don't know what's wrong.

Thank You , Very much for the advice and your quick reply. I loved 'Fall from Heaven' more than any game ever and I've been playing Video games since 1972 - So I am very eager to play RiFe. I've already re- installed it twice and even downloaded it twice ( to make sure I got a good one) , but I'm so frustrated- Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Thanx again.

The biggest issue is that you have to make sure you right click the files and install as administrator or it will it a lot of error starting up; Possibly crashing intermediately.

Could my CC Registry Cleaner be affecting the hook files attached to Civ4 itself? It seems funny that it hasn't affected FFH , but... Truly, I've done what you told me ,assisted by my son who was a Microsoft Tech.

We have lizards in Elgin? :)

I would suggest finding your Civ4 config file, it'll be in My Documents\My Games\Beyond The Sword, open it and search for 'logging' and set logging enabled (or enable logging, can't remember) to 1, then in the same folder you'll see a sub folder named LOGS and you can dig around in there after the crash on load to see where it's choking.

I have a similar problem - game crashes each time after the first round ... had anyone ideas what I can do to avoid this?

A Mr 'Seven05' told me to look in logs after it crashed upon loading. I do not understand the message, though. it sez; [5984.406] ERR:Init Win App() failed,exiting [5984.406] ERR: CIV Init Failed,exiting - is this relevant?

I have tried the suggested fix, and it hasn't worked for me either. FFH works just fine, as do all other mods. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

The official patch (1.23, the Trade Patch) contains the Flavor Patch.

And fixed my crashes as well :)
Also dont forget right clicking on the shortcut and selecting "run as administrator" (only once per computer startup i think, or only once forever, then its always in effect).
Its one of those "yeah yeah i know what im doing, thats not it" things you overlook, such as reinstalling directx, instructions you instinctively just ignore because we think we are so hardcore.
But... it is it! :lol:
Solves some crashes, solves settings not saving, etc. Its incredibly dumb that windows doesnt just automatically run everything as administrator when your account IS the administrator, but what can you do.

Solves some crashes, solves settings not saving, etc. Its incredibly dumb that windows doesnt just automatically run everything as administrator when your account IS the administrator, but what can you do.

Get mac or "downgrade" to XP :D

but what can you do.
Well, unless you really, really want to "join" a botnet, select (filename), right click, properties, compatibility, under 'priviledge level' check 'Run this program as an administrator' and click apply. Safe computing is smart computing (and that is the reason why Windows insists on manually configuring priviledge levels for any .exe program - otherwise malware could damage your system and cause mayhem without you knowing it). If you don't believe me, search 'hacking tools' on the internet.

Top Bottom