1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Create a civ that cannot declare war or conquer cities

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Disgustipated, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Temppu

Temppu Chieftain

Sure, you sure did bring up important issues. This set is not my design, but i find the civ ability interesting in the way it compromises restrcting city locations to avoid getting DoWs. However, the civ would need some bonuses, because not being able to DoW kind of balances the set already.

On an additional note, does Conden heretic, or whatever the name of combat units killing religious units, require DoW? If not, any civ with the ability to avoid getting DoWs has strong inclination to religious victories.

2. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

I think the only civ-VI-worthy leader would be William Tell, maybe not a real and true head of state like say a king of some sort, but he has a lot of character. Comparable to Cathrene de Medici or Gilgamesh...

But i don't think Switzerland made a very good non-war-civ. It's only since recently (in historical context) that it's dedicated to neutrality. In medieval times there were a lot of wars where Switzerland played a part. Nevertheless it would fit nicely in a R&F spot concerning the new mechanics. For example since Switzerland is influenced by all its neighboring countries (some parts speak German, some French, some Italian) the swiss people still did hold together and did not change their loyalities to those countries.

A nice special ability would be that swiss cities who'd lose loyality wouldn't flip into free cities but always remained swiss, but with some drawbacks like no or lowered growth, production, science, and culture output.
    Another possible trait would be bonuses to commercial/science/cultural alliances but not being able to make military alliances.

many ideas!

Guandao likes this.
  3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I like it, just without Tell :p and it‘s been 500 years since 1515, no? It‘s pretty long in my opinion, compared to others. (Even if it is not true). Although the first 332 years were filled with a lot of civil and religious wars instead of „peace.“

Guandao likes this.
  4. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

How much do you want your home country to become an official Civ in Civ6? :p

5. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I think Switzerland has several options for rather unique abilities and play style, that's why I want it. I'm not Swiss by the way.

6. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

From the perspective of verisimilitude, I would suggest shifting focus from a civilization that cannot make war to an alternate leader. Civilizations that would never wage war no matter how much their survival was on the line might be something of a specious pursuit. A leader whose policy advocated peace at all costs would be a lot easier to contend. Basically, any leader trying to promote economic prosperity avoids war, because the first order of war is to cancel debts with the enemy.

7. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Well, let's draw a distinction here. The Swiss of the middle ages played a part in wars as the mercenary pikemen elite. They didn't wage wars specifically because they were selling their services to all sides. They got out of the soldier-for-hire business because they were so successful at it that there were battles where it was the Swiss butchering the Swiss. What that leads to is the epitome of war weariness. Of course, this all suggests that Switzerland is better off as a city-state whose units can be levied. Having said that....

A focus on wealth generation lends itself to any victory condition.

8. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Chieftain

Where is the "wealth generation" are you referring in the kit? Did I miss anything in it?

9. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Well, that kit was pretty much a loose sketch, so not much to miss, but I was just musing. I mean, Switzerland *should* have an economic focus, right?

10. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

I would argue for such a Civilization to be created if non-warmongering strategies are actually efficient, but the inability to declare even protectorate wars or conquer other cities is a such huge handicap in Civ 6 that I'm afraid no amount of unique ability consistent with what the game has implemented is going to make up for that limitation.

11. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Chieftain

Indeed, the Swiss bank must be a part of it if we are talking about Switzerland. If I am proposing, maybe something like "Every bank in other known civ increases Swiss GPT"?

I suggest quite the opposite.

Although actively declare war and conquer city sounds difficult, especially when you seek a military confront to solve your problems, being declared war is still possible.

We can add a auto-defensive pact with your patronized city-states/allies that can be achieved by some other means,
    e.g. a common religion forces you ally with a civ/city states.

This can still allow you to protect your interests.
    What I am trying to say is, you can design the kit to balance everything, or even bend some rules to fit the kit.
    It is always possible as long as you keep the mind open.

12. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

Here is my shot at a Swiss Civ.

Swiss Confederation. The Swiss are unable to capture enemy cities or declare war except a war for reclaiming their own cities. When war is declared on the Swiss each Swiss city produces one free melee unit. When the Swiss become Suzerain of a city state they gain half that city states faith/science/gold/culture/production generation as well the suzerain bonus depending on the type of city state.

Unique Unit: Swiss Pike. Available at Mercenaries. Cheap to buy with gold. If moved into other players territory that the Swiss are not at war with the unit becomes that players unit for 15 turns and the Swiss get a lump sum of 150 gold.

Unique Building: Swiss Bank. Cheaper to build than a regular bank. Gets +.5 GPT for every Great Person expended globally.

Leader: Henri Guisan

Leader Unique Ability:
    Reduit National. When war is declared on the Swiss: Swiss units gain +5 combat bonus on hills, ignore ZOC on hills, and gain an additional +5 defense bonus if next to a mountain.

Invade the Swiss at your own peril!

Turrdy likes this.
  13. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

Even if you could protect your city state allies, missing out on free cities and districts from conquering is such a huge handicap you will need to make that Civilization get free cities and districts some other way to make up for it.

How would you propose that a Civilization who can't conquer be on par with a Civilization that does?

The way I see it the change will have to be so drastic the developers simply won't do it.

Turrdy likes this.
  14. Guandao

Oh REALLY!? You're not Swiss!!!!
    :eek:
    So you're just a non-Swiss living and working in Switzerland?

Siptah likes this.
  15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I mean, I'm a non-Swiss living and working in Switzerland; it's not *that* unusual. XD

Siptah and Guandao like this.
  16. Guandao

It's just that Siptah seemed "European" to me by the way he types. I thought maybe he was ethnically Swiss like my former High School French teacher (who's originally from Fribourg). :D
    Maybe "ethnically Swiss" isn't the right word, since there are at least four different languages spoken in Switzerland.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    Morningcalm likes this.
  17. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Chieftain

Oh this is a good one. Well balanced and all wealthy. The leader ability is a well-noted reference to their terrain advantage that stops many powers from rushing in.
    Though... I expect it can lean more to one of the other victory routes.
    You know, being rich cannot really give you science/faith/tourism as money is not really that useful in Civ 6.
    It sounds nice anyway.

18. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

well, 2 million people living in switzerland are not swiss. that's 1/4 of the whole population!

Guandao likes this.
  19. Draco84

Draco84 Chieftain

What if this civ could not declare war, and also can not capture cities (except capitals).

You may do the following for captured cities:
    raze (no warmonger penalty)
    liberate

I'm not sure who the civ would make sense with this ability.

20. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

A player may choose to never declare war no matter which civ/leader they play as, and it wouldn't make sense for a player to be unable to declare war ever in a game of Civilization. It's not like any of the civs are incapable of war, even if they are focused on peace and avoid war as much as possible.

They could provide more benefits to a particular civ for not being at war, or more penalties for declaring war, which would discourage the player from doing so. Also, they can program that civ as an AI to be far less likely to declare war, and to be more focused on diplomacy...Could even be part of their agenda. Surely this would be sufficient enough for this idea of a civ that avoids war.

Turrdy likes this.