1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Create a good vanilla line-up for Civilization

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Vahnstad, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Ignoring marketing and catering solely to my tastes, vanilla lineup which would satisfy me if repeated every time.

India - anybody except Gandhi
    China - anybody except Mao (shudders), Huangdi or token female Wu Zetian.
    Persia - please God no Achaemenids anymore, bonus points for Islamic era leader, name list and traits
    Arabia - any good medieval caliph is fine
    Egypt - anybody except Cleopatra, hell we have great alternate choices even for females
    Greece - honestly I love Firaxis unexpected idea to put Alexander in separate 'Macedon' civ, because his personality was always warping Greece into hardcore military civ, so as weird as it sounds: anybody except Alexander. Also, preferred Athenian leaders because I utterly despise Sparta.
    Rome - anybody other than Julius Caesar.
    Germany - anybody provided he/she's supreme ruler of either HRE, Prussia or German Empire.
    France - anybody other than Catherine di Medici, also I prefer somebody else from Napoleon for sake of diversity.
    England - anybody other than Churchill, Victoria and Elizabeth. And on top of that I prefer parliamentary leader such as William Pitt, because any other civ can have a monarch but few can have cool prime minister.
    Russia - anybody other than Stalin (shudders), Peter the Great or Catherine the Great. I love the latter lady but again, something fresh please.
    Mongolia - should be in vanilla lineup. I will not say 'anybody but Genghis' because he's basically demigod, but I'd be fine with other khan once (and Genghis as inevitable DLC :p )
    America - anybody other than Washington (and preferably also Lincoln)
    Inca or anything Andean - yeah I think they should be in vanilla lineup every time, either them or any other Andean civ (but others have huge problem of lack of leaders).
    Anything from Mexico - may change from game to game, just anything from here: it doesn't have to be Aztec, it may also be Maya, Olmec (again: leader problem) or... Mexico.
    Anything from South East Asia
    Anything from Subsaharan Africa
    [wilcard slot]

And yes, for me vanilla lineup doesn't have to include Aztecs, Mesopotamia, Ottomans, Spain or most controversially Japan.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  2. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

I like Krazjen's list, but I would wait for an expansion to put Mexico into the game. I've said it before, but I wouldn't be surprised if Maya is in the original line up for civ7 and Mexico is in one of the expansions, with Aztecs sitting the game out.

3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Two years later, ask and you shall receive. :p

4. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

My thoughts. Trying to balance between what I personally might want, what people might expect, and what I think might be appropriate. So I’m splitting it with about 1/3 of each.

Vanilla (with 18 [21] civs):

America (Theodore Roosevelt) [I like him]
    Arabia (Harun al-Rashid) [He’s a solid choice]
    Babylon (Hammurabi) [Bring them back!]
    Carthage/Phoenicia (Hannibal/Dido) [Perfect opportunity for a Civ with two different iterations]
    China (Qin Shi Huang) [To start anyway...]
    Egypt (Cleopatra) [She’s iconic.]
    England (Henry VIII) [Need some bad alongside the good]
    France (Joan of Arc) [She’s famous and I don’t have a problem with her.]
    Germany (Barbarossa) [He was a long time coming.]
    Greece (Pericles/Leonidas) [I like the Athens/Sparta split]
    Inca (Pachacuti) [An acceptable choice]
    India (Ashoka) [Gandhi can wait]
    Japan (Minamoto Yoritomo) [A worthy Shogun]
    Mali (Mansa Musa) [A solid Central African civ]
    Maya (Siyaj K’ak’ [Fire is Born]) [Because the Maya deserve a scary warlord for once.]
    Persia (Darius) [Can’t leave them out]
    Rome (Julius Caesar) [Too iconic to leave out. DLC will amp them up.]
    Russia (Ivan the Terrible) [Same logic as with England. The villains make the story.]

Pre-order Bonus: Mongolia (Genghis Khan) [Because who would want to miss out on him? Even for 90 days only.]
    Deluxe Version (DLC 1 on Day 1): Conquest of the New World pack with scenario and Aztecs (Montezuma) and Spain (Isabella)

DLC Leader Pack ($15): Lincoln (America), Victoria (England), Catherine (Russia), Gandhi (India), Napoleon (France), Ramses (Egypt) [Play your favorites!]

XP1:

Brazil (Pedro I) [Not my favorite but they’re expected now]
    Ethiopia (Yodit) [A warmongering Queen!]
    Gaul (Vercingetorix) [Because Celts ought to be done right]
    Iroquois (Jigonhsasee) [A female leader, never seen before]
    Korea (Seondeok) [She was a good choice]
    Khmer (Jayavarman) [SE Asia needs a rep.]
    Norway (Hardrada) [Another good choice by Firaxis]
    Zulu (Shaka) [A popular addition]
    Plus Charlemagne (for France and Germany), Kublai Khan (for China and Mongolia) and Cicero or Marcus Aurelius for Rome.

Lots more DLC and XPs to come. :)

5. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Well, who knows, civ6 vanilla had literally no indigenous American civilization, just America and Brazil (Aztec were sort or weird DLC at first)

6. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Chieftain

Gotta love how many lists in this thread have like two, three women in them. :p

I actually would release a base game with exactly the same civs as we got, except:

1. I would consider replacing Scythia with the Kazakhs, although that would mean one less female leader and Tomyris is fine by me. What I really want is a true PIE culture so Scythia kind of hits a reasonable balance between that and Kazakh nomads.

2. I would consider replacing Sumeria with Akkadia, although I still think given enough development and polishing that it would still end up as Sumeria led by Gilgamesh.

3. I would replace Victoria and Catherine de Medici with Eleanor. Keep further leaders on the two staples a mystery. Victoria would still be planned for later. But since I still don't see the point of CdM, that would leave room for a Charlemagne or Louis or Napoleon. Eleanor seems a bit complicated but she really isn't and only requires loyalty from later packs to understand. Victoria and the French leader could receive more complicated commerce and espionage abilities in later expansions.

4. Leave Ghandhi. I'd prefer Chandragupta and a Chola leader, but there's no dispute that staples like Ghandhi help sell the thing and he is probably the best leader for modern India.

What I wouldwould to do but can't

5. DLC civ is Mexico led by Benito, not Aztecs. Please players with a requested civ and leave them guessing on a staple classic like Aztecs. Then plan Montezuma as a second Mexico leader.

6. I like that we got Spain over Portugal, but to keep linguistic diversity with the Mexico DLC, I would then replace Spain with Portugal and cut Brazil. And I guess to fill the hole left in South America and no pre-colonial civ, the Inca would replace Brazil. Brazil replaces Inca in expack 2. Spain replaces Portugal in expack 3.

7. The base game is now mechanically less than ideal. Because now England and Portugal push up against each other mechanically and we don't have a missionary-style civ in Spain. We also have the somewhat complicated Inca in base game and no rainforest civ in Brazil. So Spain and Aztecs stay.

7. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I've mentioned it before, i'm designing a Civ 7 Version and I found narrowing down the base game civs really difficult without snubbing a big name. But as far as I'm concerned these are imo deserving of being in the base game:

(Leaders I would consider are in brackets.)

1) British: Mercia (Æthelflæd) / England (Elizabeth, Henry VIII) / Britain (Walpole, Churchill)
    2) French: France (Louis XIV, Napoleon) / Franks (Clovis, Charlemagne)
    3) Germans: Germany (Bismarck, Adenauer) / Prussia (Frederick II) / HRE (Barbarossa, Maria Theresa)
    4) Russians: Russia (Piotr, Ekatarina) / Kievan Rus (Yaroslav, Olga)
    5) Romans: Rome (Augustus, Livia, Hadrian) / Byzantium (Theodora, Alexios, Anna Dalassene)
    6) Greeks: Athens (Alcibiades, Perikles, Solon, Themosticles) / Sparta (Lysander, Leonidas) / Macedon (Alexandros)
    7) Americans: United States (Jefferson, Jackson)
    8) Egyptians: Egypt (Senusret III, Hatshepsut, Ramesses II, Cleopatra)
    9) Indians: Maurya (Chandragupta, Ashoka) / Mughal (Akbar, Nur Jahan) / Republic of India (Mohandas Gandhi, Indira Gandhi)
    10) Chinese: Qin (Qin Shi Huang) / Han (Liu Bang) / Tang (Tianzong, Wu Zetian) / Ming (Yongle) / Qing (Kanxi, Cixi)
    11) Japanese: Yamato (Himiko) / Nippon (Meiji, Hirobumi)
    12) Turks*: Seljuks (Alp Arslan) / Ottomans (Mehmet II) / Turks (Atatürk)
    13) Steppe Nomads*: Mongolia (Mandukhai) / Scythians (Tomyris)
    14) Mesoamericans: Mayans (Lady Six Sky) / Aztecs (Montezuma) / Incans (Tupaq Yupanqui)
    15) Native Americans: Sioux (Sitting Bull) / Navajo (Manuelito) / Iroquois (Jigonsahse) / Cree(Poundmaker)
    16) Mesopotamians: (Assyrians (Sammuramat, Ashurbanipal) / Babylonians (Hammurabi) / Sumerians (Gilgamesh, Sargon) )
    17) Persians: (Achaemenids (Cyrus) / Sassanids (Khosrow I) / Parthians (Mithridates II) / Iran (Abbas I) )
    18) Arabs*: (Arabia (Saladin) / Abbasids (Harun al-Rashid) / Mamluks (Shajar al-Durr) / Moroccans(Al-Mansur, Sayidda al-Hurrah)

The ones with a * aren't in my Civ 7 vision base game, but I made sure they had a worthy equivalent: Hittites replace the Turks, Parthians replace the Steppe Nomads (and fill a slot as the token Persian civ) and I have the Carthaginians fill in North Africa in absence of the Arabs. I didn't fit all of them in (I went with 19 Civs anyway, with 20 leaders), because I needed new Civs and because I also felt like Mongolia/Ottomans/Arabs can be delayed to a DLC/XPac if needed (though not further than the first xpac because seriously)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Zaarin and PhoenicianGold like this.
  8. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I don't remember if I already did this and I'm not going to check to see. Instead, I'll do it again anyway. :p The following list is something of a compromise between what I want and what I could reasonably expect from Firaxis. :p I'll assume a 20 civ base game with no alternate leaders (I really don't see the feature returning, honestly).

America - Calvin Coolidge
    Arabia - Harun al-Rashid
    Assyria - Tiglath-Pileser III
    Benin - Idia
    Burma - Bayinnaung
    China - Wu Zetian
    Egypt - Hatshepsut
    England - Elizabeth I (I want Henry V very badly, but, I mean, Elizabeth :p )
    France - Francis I
    Germany - Charles V (I rather like a Holy Roman Emperor leading Germany)
    Greece - Solon
    India - Shah Jahan (Nuclear Gandhi joke is only 20+ years stale at this point...)
    Japan - Fujiwara no Michinaga (Heian Japan would be something different...)
    Maya - Lady Six Sky
    Muisca - Nemequene
    Parthia - Mithradates II
    Powhatan - Powhatan
    Rome - Severus Septimius
    Russia - Catherine the Great
    Tuareg - Tin Hinan

So we get most of the old standbys, a few curveballs, a new Iranian horselord civ that actually has a city list and leaders (*glares at Tomyris*), no Nuclear Gandhi, some old friends and some new faces, not a single post-colonial nation except the obligatory America, and a reasonably filled out map for the TSL players. :p

Vahnstad and Uberfrog like this.
  9. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Yeah, and I realize it's still early to be talking about civ7, but since the pre-order bonus for civ5 was Mesopotamian and the bonus for civ6 was Mesoamerican, we're probably going to get something like India for civ7's.

10. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Chieftain

18 vanilla civs:

1) America (Abraham Lincoln)
    2) England (Victoria)
    3) France (Louis XIV)
    4) Germany (Otto von Bismarck)
    5) Rome (Marcus Aurelius)
    6) Greece (Epameinondas of Thebes)
    7) Persia (Cyrus)
    8) Korea (Sejong)
    9) Maya (Pakal I)
    10) India (Akbar)
    11) China (Qin Shi Huang)
    12) Japan (Meiji)
    13) Russia (Ivan IV)
    14) Assyria (Ashurbanipal)
    15) Egypt (Hatshepsut)
    16) Mongolia (Genghis Khan)
    17) Zulu (Shaka)
    18) Spain (Isabella of Castile)

Pre-order bonus civ: Arabia (Harun al-Rashid)

Based (roughly) on the DLC policy of Civ VI:

1st DLC: Byzantium (Alexios Komnenos) and Ottomans (Mehmet II) - Fall of Constantinople scenario

2nd DLC: Iroquois (Hiawatha) and Netherlands (William of Orange) - New world/Colonization scenario

3rd DLC: Inca (Pachacuti) and Aztecs (Montezuma) - Conquistador/El Dorado scenario

4th DLC: Carthage (Hannibal Barca) and Numidia (Massinissa) - Punic wars scenario

5th DLC: Ethiopia (Haile Selassie) and Italy (Lorenzo de Medici) - Scramble for Africa scenario

6th DLC: Hittites (Suppiluliuma I) and Mittani (Shaushtatar) - Bronze age collapse/Sea peoples scenario

11. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

I don't know, man, Puduhepa is almost too obvious, with being a female ruler, especially since she was actually a decent leader in a region with few female leaders

Zaarin and The Kingmaker like this.
  12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Have we moved on to designing Civ 7? If so here is how I would do it.

1. America (Lincoln)
    2. China (Wu and Qin)
    3. Egypt (Cleopatra and Rameses)
    4. Rome Juliius Caesar and Hadrian)
    5. Greece (Pericles and Alexander)
    6. England (Elizabeth and Churchill)
    7. France (Louis XIV and Napoleon)
    8. Germany (Bismarck)
    9. Russia (Catherine and Lenin)
    10. India (Gandhi and Ashoka)
    11. Japan (Tokugawa)
    12. Maya (Lady Six Sky)
    13. Persia (Cyrus)
    14. Inca (Huyana Capac)
    15. Arabia (Saladin)
    16. Mali (Mansa Musa)
    17. Khmer (Jayavarman VII)
    18. Sumeria (Gilgamesh)

Pre Order Bonus: Iroquois (Denagawida)

1st DLC- Aztecs (Montezuma) and Spain (Isabella)
    2nd DLC- Mongolia (Genghis Khan) and Korea (Sejong)
    3rd DLC- Ottomans (Suleiman) and Byzantium (Justinian)
    4th DLC- Assyria (Ashurbanipal) and Babylon (Hammurabi)
    5th DLC- Italy (Lorenzo de Medici) and Ethiopia (Ezana)
    6th DLC- The Netherlands (Williiam of Orange) and Zulu (Shaka)

13. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Chieftain

My leader choices are made based purely on merit and my own preferences, not necessarily how Firaxis likes to pick leaders. I think it's quite obvious from my list that me and Firaxis do not see eye to eye on the majority of leaders they have already introduced.

14. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Chieftain

Going on the 18 Civs + 1 DLC model, I would have my roster look like this…

AMERICAS

America
    Leader: Theodore Roosevelt
    UU: F-16
    UI: Movie Theatre

Navajo
    Leader: Narbona
    UU: Codetalker
    UI: Hogan

Inca
    Leader: Huayna Capac
    UU: Chasqui
    UI: Terrace

EUROPE

England
    Leader: Elizabeth I
    UU: Dreadnought
    UI: Wharf

France
    Leader: Louis XIV
    UU: Cuirassier
    UI: Salon

Germany
    Leader: Otto I
    UU: Paladin
    UI: Alehouse

Spain
    Leader: Philip II
    UU: Conquistador
    UI: Bullring

Russia
    Leader: Catherine
    UU: Cossack
    UI: Train Station

AFRICA

Egypt
    Leader: Hatshepsut
    UU: Chariot Archer
    UI: Mausoleum

Congo
    Leader: Ana Nzinga
    UU: Bowmen
    UI: Boma

MEDITERRANEAN + MIDDLE EAST

Arabia
    Leader: Umar
    UU: Haras
    UI: Madrasah

Greece
    Leader: Alexander
    UU: Sarissa
    UI: Academy

Persia (Day 1 DLC)
    Leader: Abbas I
    UU: Hashshashin
    UI: Qat

Rome
    Leader: Hadrian
    UU: Legion
    UI: Bath

Sumeria
    Leader: Kubaba
    UU: Phalanx
    UI: Ziggurat

ASIA

China
    Leader: Kangxi
    UU: Junk
    UI: Teahouse

India
    Leader: Akbar
    UU: Sepoy
    UI: Ashram

Japan
    Leader: Tokugawa
    UU: Samurai
    UI: Ryokan

Vietnam
    Leader: Le Loi
    UU: War Elephant
    UI: Water Puppet Theatre

Other DLCs

Byzantium/Turks (Fall of Constantinople)
    Mongolia (Death of Temujin)
    Denmark (Voyages of Leif Erikson)
    Aztecs (Flower Wars)
    Maori (The Fight For Aotearoa)

Zaarin likes this.
  15. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

The Kangxi Emperor; his name was Xuanye. ;) (Thank you for not choosing Qin Shi Huang; he absolutely does not need to be a staple. :p )

16. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

Qin's a quasi-staple, but I really don't like this version. He's known first for reuniting China by military force, but gets no military bonuses. The game gives him ancient/classical wonder bonuses through a corvee labor mechanic (fine, I guess), but there's only one wonder he built in the game with the Great Wall not even being a wonder. He's also known for his ruthless legalist policies, but that's nowhere.

I used to complain that the Qin Dynasty only lasted 15 years, but the Han was in many ways a continuation of the Qin State and his legacy is lasting (down to the name foreigners call the country). The Julio-Claudian Dynasty didn't last more than 100 years. The Hellenic League with the Argead Dynasty lasted about as long as Qin's China. So, I'm willing to give them a pass on choosing Qin for that reason. But the design is so uninspired.

Zaarin likes this.
  17. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

Now I've noticed that I've repeated number two twice, no matter :rolleyes:, just think that my game base would have 19 civs instead of 18 :p. Either way, my vanilla would still be more or less that way.
    Since my base game and DLCs ideas are ready, I'll do what I would like for expansions, assuming we have three.

Xp1
    1. Korea (Sejong)
    2. Kongo (Mvemba to Nzinga)
    3. Navajo (Narbonne)
    4. Argentina (Eva Perón)
    5. Sweden (Gustavus Adolphus)
    6. Morocco (Ahmad al-Mansur)
    7. Siam (Ramkhamhaeng)
    8. Phoenicia (Pygmalion)
    9. Byzantines (Theodora)
    10. Assyria (Ashurbanipal)
    Alt leaders: Russia (Peter the Great) and Germany (Frederick Barbarossa)

Xp2
    1. Austria (Maria Theresa)
    2. Italy (Enrico Dandolo)
    3. Muisca (Nemequene)
    4. Hittites (Mursilis)
    5. Ashanti (Yaa Asantewaa)
    6. Gauls (Vercingetorix)
    7. Canada (Wilfrid Laurier)
    8. Nepal (Prithvi Narayan)
    9. Poland (Casimir III)
    10. Georgia (Tamar)
    Alt leaders: Arabia (Saladin) and Spain (Philip II)

Xp3
    1. Hungary (Matthias Corvinus)
    2. Goths (Alaric I)
    3. Vietnam (Trung Sisters)
    4. Australia (John Curtin)
    5. Romania (Vlad the Impaler)
    6. Cree (Poundmaker)
    7. Zulus (Shaka)
    8. Mapuche (Lautaro)
    9. Cítia (Tomyris)
    10. Oman (Saif bin Sultan)
    Alt leaders: Maya (Lady Six Sky) and Greece (Leonidas I)

For final DLCs:
    1. Charlemagne (France or Germany) and Constantine the Great (Rome)
    2. Kublai Khan (China or Mongolia) and Gandhi (India)
    3. Eleanor of Aquitaine (France or England) and Oda Nobunaga (Japan)
    4. Cleopatra (Egypt) and Hongwu (China)
    5. William III (Netherlands or England) and Lorenzo de' Medici (Italy)

18. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

My objection isn't that Qin's not important, because of course he is. My objection is that China has a metric ton of other great options; there's no need to continuously recycle Qin Shi Huang. I was rather disappointed by his selection after some of the more interesting leader choices Firaxis made like Teddy Roosevelt and Hojo Tokimune.