Crime Revisited

It would be great if city size/buildings had equation in severity of crimes, same can be applied to diseases and pollution, as of now small cities get hit much harder than megacities. Pollution has troubles of its own tho

It would be great if city size/buildings had equation in severity of crimes, same can be applied to diseases and pollution, as of now small cities get hit much harder than megacities. Pollution has troubles of its own tho

What you're saying is... in a nutshell... use % modifiers rather than flat rate +/- modifiers more commonly where crimes are concerned.

What you're saying is... in a nutshell... use % modifiers rather than flat rate +/- modifiers more commonly where crimes are concerned.

I dislike % very much :D

What i had in mind is to expand crime ranges up to whatever, new crimes(or rather crime severity) unlocked upon reaching certain city level 6/12/24/48.. The amount of crime could further influence severity unlocking even higher penalties at very high levels.

unlocked at 150 Crime (Black Markets I) city size 1-5
unlocked at 150 Crime (Black Markets II) city size 6-11
unlocked at 150 Crime (Black Markets III) city size 12-23
unlocked at 150 Crime (Black Markets IIII) city size 24

you could add more of them to take into account increased crime value, each new rank obsoletes rank below it or ads to it if that's not possible. Some crimes could be unlocked only by building certain buildings (Bank Robbery), also some buildings could have positive/negative bonuses for specific crimes (DISEASES and POLLUTION) same way we get +1 culture from techs or some wonders modify certain buildings, this would work superbly for crimes and diseases, with each new building disease, crimes or pollution effects could grow stronger or weaker. This could apply to these effects themselves Drug or prostitution crimes could influence severity of diseases or add new levels to them.

No more level 200 cities before industrial age :D

EDIT:

lets not forget pollution here, its normal to have max lvl polution before you even hit factories, then it just takes of with no chances to manage it, unless you dont build production buildings, which makes new annoying problems like not being able to filter out pollution creating buildings, building filters not useful at all. Many just takes up place without providing anything useful >_<

... each new rank obsoletes rank below it

That is what the replace buildings tag is for.

which makes new annoying problems like not being able to filter out pollution creating buildings, building filters not useful at all. Many just takes up place without providing anything useful >_<

Everyone complains but no one will learn Python to fix:lol:. If BUG was being built now they would allow you to select which filters you had for each set because I bet the ones I find useful are the ones you find a waste of space.;)

Filters are all about preference, thought few of them could be merged like crime and espionage and
military training and defense, former filters same buildings and later has few buildings that would fit nicely into those two rows we see freeing 2 to use for something else. Toggling off all buildings providing with negative gold would be very helpful.

Also some buildings sometime provide no bonuses at that particular moment but would later, like maintenance or trade or tile yield improvements and fall between the cracks. From modern era and onward you spend more time looking for that particular building in every city, than it takes AI turn to complete :D

Just a suggestion, but how about letting me finish what I've got started. It will come in stages. What has been put in so far is but the tip of the spear.

And an FYI, Crimes as listed in the tables above are but the top layer of the Crime mechanism. Once v36 gets released then I can continue balancing and redistribution.

JosEPh :)

Just a suggestion, but how about letting me finish what I've got started. It will come in stages. What has been put in so far is but the tip of the spear.

And an FYI, Crimes as listed in the tables above are but the top layer of the Crime mechanism. Once v36 gets released then I can continue balancing and redistribution.

Just trying to be helpful with feedback and idea or two

Understood and noted.

JosEPh

lol... I know what you mean!

However, between you and I, stay a little agile with your planning. There are going to be a few more factors to consider soon (a few new techs that you may want to play off of with crimes and I'll be looking at fixing up the advanced property system finally. I'll give you more details on that once it starts coming around to manifest but I think we could make a great team working out some details there.)

I'll let you go ahead as you were at the moment though... if you have to or want to make any adjustments in light of new elements coming into play it will be easier to adapt to once you have the full familiarity you're earning now with the auto-building structure. This is what I've found... doesn't disturb too much to make adaptations when you're fully on top of things in a given region.

I think my notes got moved off my Computer desk! Arrrgghhhhhh!!!! :(

And I'm still figuring out how to make the Crime, once moved from it's original Prereq Tech, show up on it's New Prereq Tech. I think I need a tutor for a few of them so I can get the hang of it. I really don't want to dump any of my changes into anyone else's laps.

This freeze has got to end Soon! Please!!!:eek2: (really need a Begging smilie here)

I think my notes got moved off my Computer desk! Arrrgghhhhhh!!!! :(

And I'm still figuring out how to make the Crime, once moved from it's original Prereq Tech, show up on it's New Prereq Tech. I think I need a tutor for a few of them so I can get the hang of it. I really don't want to dump any of my changes into anyone else's laps.

This freeze has got to end Soon! Please!!!:eek2: (really need a Begging smilie here)

Hmm, if you change the prereqtech of a crime in the xml this should be automatically reflected by the tech-tree and pedia in-game.

Can you give me a specific example of what you want to do and how it doesn't work as it should? I could try to help better then.

Edit: Ok so we got a crime we want to move from one tech to another:
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Code:
	<BuildingInfo>
		<!-- Crime (Hate Crime) -->
		<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_CRIME_HATECRIME</BuildingClass>
		<Type>BUILDING_CRIME_HATECRIME</Type>
		<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_HATECRIME</Description>
		<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_HATECRIME_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
		<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_HATECRIME_STRATEGY</Strategy>
		<Advisor>ADVISOR_ECONOMY</Advisor>
		<!-- Graphical and interface -->
		<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_CRIME_HATECRIME</ArtDefineTag>
		<iMinAreaSize>-1</iMinAreaSize>
		<fVisibilityPriority>1</fVisibilityPriority>
		<!-- Prerequisites -->
		[B][U]<PrereqTech>TECH_MINORITY_RIGHTS</PrereqTech>[/U][/B]
The last line there is the one we need to change; if we want to change it to "Tracking" we would have to know what this tech is defined as: TECH_X
guessing what the X is could prove unfruitful as it could really be defined as anything.

So lets open the CIV4TechInfos.xml file and look for it. There are plenty of ways to find it, one could use something that is known about the tech, like its x & y coordination or beaker cost or just try to search for "tracking" or a shorter version "trac". Searching for the name gave nothing and I really don't want to open the game to learn its beaker cost or count its x coordination; so I decide to just find something the tech unlocks as it will also refer to the TECH_X.

So I open up CIV4UnitInfos.xml and search for "tracker" here and sure enough I find the unit and it has this line in its block:
Spoiler :
Code:
		<UnitInfo>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_TRACKER</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_TRACKER</Type>
			<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_HUNTER</Combat>
			<PrereqTech>TECH_PATHS</PrereqTech>

Now we can change the earlier marked TECH_MINORITY_RIGHTS to TECH_PATHS

and thats really all that is to it. Hate Crime should be shown as being unlocked by the tracking tech and not by minority rights.

@Toffer,
Thanks again, I appreciate your patience and effort you are giving me. :)

I found most of my notes and realized why some of the changes I thought I had put in before the freeze had not actually been put in. They were only in the Crime 1.31 modmod file. I didn't get very much put in before DH cut off adding new content. That was part of my confusion about why my changes were not showing up on the techs in the Tech tree.

I may still have a few questions later on about TEXT_KEY_X.....and how to make sure they match what has been done.

Again Thank you! :hatsoff:

JosEPh

This thread is now just a resource thread for Crime. Crime 1.31 for the most part is now in the Main Mod SVN 8771.

JosEPh

:bump:

Needed for research

Top Bottom