Crime Revisited

No 2 would be more time-consuming, yes, but with a program like Notepad++, it would be relatively easy nonetheless.

That would be slightly more of an issue, I agree, but as a Prehistoric tech, it would only affect a few people who happened to be playing a very early game, as everyone else could 'relearn' that tech very easily.

Sorry? Are we still talking about Fire Making?

All good info. My biggest concern was that if someone had made a mistake in the naming would it cause the "Crime" with the Prereq tech in question to actually work?

There are several other Crimes that have similar Prereq Tech's name that don't match the Tech.

Another off the top of the list is CyberBullying where the Prereq Tech is TECH_MMO. We have a Tech called MMO? I believe it's supposed to be Computers or Personal Computers.
Others include: STOCK_EXCHANGING instead of Stock Brokering, WILDERNESSC instead of Wild Life Conservation.

And then there are several were the Crime Name is slightly different than the Display listing on the Tech tree Tech. Like Organ Trafficking but listed elsewhere as Organ trade. Also Organized Crime --> Mob; Prison Breakouts --> Jail Break; and one or 2 more.

These are confusing and made me wonder do these "crimes" actually get invoked and used?

And I don't intend to change Names on Techs at all. Just want to make sure the Crimes show up in the places they are supposed to and that they work.

JosEPh

I'm British - extraneous zeds can go and die in a fire. :)

So am I. I spent three years working for a USA company and was always being picked on for miss-spelling words. (s/z included) :D

So am I. I spent three years working for a USA company and was always being picked on for miss-spelling* words. (s/z included) :D

Your location is identical to mine**, so I assumed that your nationality was too. :p

* = It's misspelling.
** = On CFC, that is; you're probably not even in the same county!

Your location is identical to mine**, so I assumed that your nationality was too. :p

* = It's misspelling.

1. Yes, UK.

2. That is one of the things I was asked to do, use hyphens etc. when not needed and other things. Possibily strange to that company. But that was a long time ago. However, I still fall into the trap of using American instead of UK English -or a mixture of both.

The freeze has allowed me to get further along in my test game. What that means is that I will be revising the Crime minlevels again. Many will be at a lower level. And I'm also leaning towards reducing the upper level of 1000 downward. Murder had been my bench mark at 700 but I'm going to reduce that to 500.

Also I will be moving some crimes around as we have eras that are stacked full of crimes while other have barely a handful. Several may also get the "axe", example Flashing at Papacy. Currently 77 Crimes spread over the Eras

List of Number of Crimes currently in Modmod By Era:
Preh has 12
Ancient 7
Classical 10
Medieval 6
Ren 6
Industrial 14
Modern 18
TH 3
Galactic 1

Preh., Ind., and Modern Eras number of Crimes will be reduced. Ancient, Med, and Ren will be increased, possibly TH too.

EDIT: Pest Modmod had been added to main mod. Will be putting up an updated Crime modmod to reflect that for those that are regular SVN users. v35 users can still use version listed in OP.
JosEPh

New version v1.31 is now in OP. Many "dumb" xml errors fixed that got by me in v1.3.

1 more crime Removed, Flashing at Papacy. Modmod now has 76 Crimes ( 8 of the Original 84 have been removed).

JosEPh

Just a random thought about that:

When murder was commonplace, did it have such a strong psychological effect on a witness? I mean, if you see it all day, you get kinda used to it. If I'd see someone get beaten to death with a club I'd be stunned since I never saw it IRL. Same with rape. But on the other hand groups were much smaller and you knew everybody you see and you mostly knew the victim personally. When you outlaw it, it becomes rarer, you feel more secure, but if it happens then, it has a stronger impact because of this.

That's maybe just one of the topics that I think about and then realize that it is on a level that civ can't emulate and then I delete the text again - normally :crazyeye:

Don't know about prehistory but in the middle ages time and place of a murder determined it's percieved severity in curious ways. Killing someone in his house was far worse than out in the open. Killing someone in a church far worse than in any secular building, and within the chapel itself the closer the murder was to the altar it was obviously a bigger offense. But also, killing someone in public with a sharp weapon was far more honorable then killing in disguise or with say poison, the most dishonorable of all murder methods. Days of the weeks mattered, sundays obviously worse days for murder than weekdays and holidays even more horrible. God forbid you murder someone on christmas eve, that might be so bad that some demons might snatch you to hell right there and then. Then ofcourse status and religion of the victim vs murderer made a huge difference aswell.

Current List:

Prereq tech|minCrime |Crime|health|happy|gold|%hammers|%commerce|%gold|%science|%culture|%espionage|Era
Slavery|325|Crime (Kidnapping)||-3||||||||Preh
|370|Crime (Rape)|-2|-3||||||||Preh
|500|Crime (Murder)|-6|-3||||||||Preh
Barter|150|Crime (Mugging)|-3|-2|-10|||||||Preh
Shelter Building|125|Crime (Burglary)||-2|-5|||||||Preh
Cultural Identity|650|Crime (Sectarian Violence)|-40|-20||||||||Preh
Personal Adornment|35|Crime (Pickpocketing)||-1|-1|||||||Preh
Conduct|100|Crime (Fighting)|-3|-2||||||||Preh
Warfare|300|Crime (Gangs)|-5|-3|-10|||||||Preh
Warfare|250|Crime (Looting)||-3|-50|-20||||||Preh
Fire Making|200|Crime (Arson)|-2|-2||||||||Preh
Chiefdom|1070|Crime *(Power Struggles)|-2|-4||||||||RMVD
Conduct|425|Crime (Corruption)||-3|-20||||||-30|Preh
Trade|100|Crime (Shoplifting)||-1|-2|||||||Anc
Alphabet|175|Crime (Illegal Immigration)||-2||||||-10||Anc
Trade|100|Crime (Soliciting)||-2||||||||Anc
Fermentation|50|Crime (Public Intoxication)||-1||||||||Anc
Trade|150|Crime (Black Markets)|-4|-2||-10|-20|||||Anc
Oratory|75|Crime (False Accusations)||-1||||||||Anc
Writing|125|Crime (Forgery)||-1|-5|||||||Anc
Code of Laws|275|Crime (Bribery)||-2|||||||-20|Class
Currency|125|Crime (Blackmail)||-1||||||||Class
Currency|200|Crime (Counterfeiting)||-1|-15|||||||Class
Code of Laws|450|Crime (Rioting)|-20|-8|-50|-30|-30|||||Class
Military Training|350|Crime (Military Desertion)||-2||||||||Class
Currency|1320|Crime *(Rogue Mercenaries)||-4||||||||RMVD
Code of Laws|300|Crime (Vigilantism)||1|-5||||||-20|Class
Drug Trade|150|Crime (Drugs)|-5|-2|-30|||||||Class
Drug Trade|570|Crime (Drug Cartels)|-30|-12||||||||Class
Aesthetics|20|Crime (Graffiti)||-1||||||||Class
Insurance|250|Crime (Insurance Fraud)||-1|-10|||||||Class
Papacy|42|Crime *(Flashing)||-1||||||||RMVD
Usury|250|Crime (Extortion)||-2||||||||Med
Usury|150|Crime (Embezzlement)||-1|-10|||||||Med
Usury|200|Crime (Tax Evasion)||-1|-20|||||||Med
Surveying|75|Crime (Trespassing)||-1||||||||Med
Banking|350|Crime (Bank Robbery)|-2|-1|-25|||||||Med
Matchlock|320|Crime (Armed Communities)|-3|-1||||||||Ren
Corporation|300|Crime (Money Laundering)||-2|-25|||||||Ren
Corporation|530|Crime *(Corporate Manslaughter)|-6|-2|-15|||||||RMVD
Stock Brokering|200|Crime (Insider Trading)||-2|||-10|||||Ren
Stock Brokering|550|Crime *(Stock Market Rigging)||-2|-50|||||||RMVD
Constitution|250|Crime (Prison Breakouts)||-3||||||||Ren
Emancipation|500|Crime (Human Trafficking)|-4|-6||||||||Ren
Military Tradition|250|Crime (Insubordination)||-2||||||||Ren
Wildlife Conservation|300|Crime (Poaching)|-2|-2||||||||Ind
Modern Sanitation|10|Crime *(Toilet Papering)||-1||||||||RMVD
Labor Union|150|Crime (Welfare Fraud)||-1|-5|||||||Ind
Labor Union|275|Crime (Racketeering)||-2|||-5|||||Ind
Labor Union|175|Crime (Child Labor)|-1|-2|||||-15|-15||Ind
Semi-Automatic Weapons|425|Crime (Gun Rampage)|-3|-6||||||||Ind
Women's Suffrage|50|Crime (Sexual Harassment)||-1||||||||Ind
Women's Suffrage|200|Crime (Domestic Violence)|-1|-2||||||||Ind
Motorized Transportation|150|Crime (Drunk Driving)|-1|-1|-5|||||||Ind
Motorized Transportation|130|Crime *(Car Chase)|-1|-1|-5|||||||RMVD
Motorized Transportation|300|Crime (Car Theft)||-2|-15|||||||Ind
Motorized Transportation|600|Crime (Car Bombing)|-3|-4|-5|||||||Ind
Compulsory Education|25|Crime (Truancy)||-1|||||-5|||Ind
Flight|700|Crime (Aircraft Hijacking)|-4|-8|-10|||||||Ind
Automatic Weapons|350|Crime (Weapons Trafficking)|-6|-1||||||||Ind
Automatic Weapons|600|Crime (Organized Crime)|-8|-6|-10||||||-20|Ind
Applied Economics|410|Crime *(Ponzi Schemes)||-2|-30||-10|||||RMVD
Mod.Sanitation|10|Crime (Littering)|-1|-1|-1|||||||Mod
Computers|340|Crime (Identity Theft)||-1|-15|||||||Mod
Urban Culture|600|Crime (Gang Warfare)|-12|-4||||||||Mod
Modern Health Care|250|Crime (Elder Abuse)|-3|-1||||||||Mod
Modern Health Care|300|Crime (Medical Fraud)|-6|-2|-10|||||||Mod
Modern Health Care|380|Crime (Organ Trafficking)|-6|-1||||||||Mod
Computers|150|Crime (Hacking)||-1||||-5||-5|-5|Mod
Minority Rights|250|Crime (Hate Crime)|-2|-2||||||-10||Mod
Ecology|200|Crime (Animal Abuse)||-1||||||||Mod
Ecology|400|Crime (Environmental Dumping)|-8|-3||||||||Mod
Modern Sports|150|Crime (Sports Riots)|-4|-2|-10|||||||Mod
Fiber Optics|15|Crime (Online Piracy)||1|-2|||||||Mod
Fiber Optics|200|Crime (Internet Fraud)||-1|-10|||||||Mod
Genetics|380|Crime (Gene Forgery)||-2|-15|||||||Mod
Urban Culture|650|Crime (School Shootings)|-3|-4||||||||Mod
Cloud Computing|100|Crime (Malware)||-1|-10||||-5||-20|Mod
Cloning|400|Crime (Unlicensed Cloning)|-2|-4|||||-10|||Mod
Online Community|70|Crime (Cyberbullying)||-1||||||||Mod
Cyberwarfare|700|Crime (Cyberwarfare)||-2|-40||||-20||-100|TH
Personal Robots|250|Crime (Asimov Tampering)|-1|-2||||||||TH
Mind Uploading|600|Crime (Illegal Brainwashing)|-2|-6|||||||-200|TH
Time Travel|1000|Crime (Timeline Tampering)||-20||||-50|-50|-50|-50|Gal

Next Phase balancing number of crimes per Era.

Note: RMVD means Removed from the Core crime that is still in C2C main. But is no longer in the Modmod. After v36 they will no longer be in the Core C2C also as this Modmod will be incorporated into Main, with more "tweaks" to follow. This will be a step process.

JosEPh

I should probably edit it and start each era with the lowest minCrime level and descend to largest. But I also had in mind to rank by which Crime in each Era shows up 1st and go from there.

JosEPh

Wow! has time flew by! Hope I can remember and find my notes about the changes I want to make.

I still need to understand and move Text_Key on the Tech tree as many of the Crimes were moved but the Text_Key_ was not updated....yet. I know this has caused Pit some concerns and wanting to know if they are bugs.

I'm fumbling around in wingrep and am not sure what it is I need to be inputting.

If anyone could post an example of moving Text_Key on the tech tree techs it would sure give me a heads up on proper procedure.

JosEPh

Wow! has time flew by! Hope I can remember and find my notes about the changes I want to make.

I still need to understand and move Text_Key on the Tech tree as many of the Crimes were moved but the Text_Key_ was not updated....yet. I know this has caused Pit some concerns and wanting to know if they are bugs.

I'm fumbling around in wingrep and am not sure what it is I need to be inputting.

If anyone could post an example of moving Text_Key on the tech tree techs it would sure give me a heads up on proper procedure.

JosEPh

Not sure what you want to move where but maybe this will clarify some things.

Spoiler :
Mostly you already know what TXT_KEY_ you want to make changes to:
Code:
	<BuildingInfo>
		<!-- Crime (Aircraft Hijacking) -->
		<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING</BuildingClass>
		<Type>BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING</Type>
		<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING</Description>
		<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
		<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING_STRATEGY</Strategy>
		<Advisor>ADVISOR_ECONOMY</Advisor>

Here are three text keys; <description> is simply the name for the crime: so probably "Crime (Aircraft Hijacking)"

<Civilopedia> is the long text displayed in the pedia.

<strategy> and <Help> pops up in a couple of places.

to find where the actual text string is written you just search with win grep for xml files containing one of the lines "TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING" OR "TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING_PEDIA" OR "TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING_STRATEGY". All these three will mostly be located in the same xml.

This would lead you to a filename ending with Something_Civ4GameText.xml located in Assets\XML\Text ; in this case it lead me to Hydro_CIV4GameText.xml.

In this file in notepad you can again search for the same text as you did in win grep.

and find this:
Code:
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING</Tag>
		<English>Crime (Aircraft Hijacking)</English>
	</TEXT>
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING_STRATEGY</Tag>
		<English>A type of crime.</English>
	</TEXT>
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CRIME_PLANEHIJACKING_PEDIA</Tag>
		<English>Aircraft hijacking is the unlawful seizure of an aircraft by an individual or a group. In most cases, the pilot is forced to fly according to the orders of the hijackers. Occasionally, however, the hijackers have flown the aircraft themselves, such as the September 11 attacks of 2001. In at least one case, a plane was hijacked by the official pilot.</English>
	</TEXT>
Here you can change the text content.

Thanks Toffer for the example. It helps a hands on learner like me.

JosEPh :)

Top Bottom